DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Expriences

Auggie

Reactions
I flew my M2P for the first time yesterday. Because I live within 2 miles of a military air station, I can't do any practice flying at my home and have to search for an open area further away, the nearest being about 15-20 minute drive (backroads). Because it was the weekend, all local parks were packed and I didn't feel comfortable flying my very first drone ever around people. So I found a mostly empty middle school parking lot (I was surprised that there were several people just hanging out in their cars at the school on a Sunday, and others going into the school) and setup my base ops at the front of the school.

Spent about 20 minutes practicing take off, flying around the parking lot, then landing. Repeat and rinse.

My first impressions: It was a great learning experience punctuated with absolute terror of losing the aircraft. I tried keeping constant Visual Line-Of-Sight, but lost track of the drone for a few moments when I was concentrating on the screen and practicing tilting the camera up and down while having the aircraft fly forward; I nearly panicked until I visually located the aircraft.

With the panic attack averted, I tried practicing the RTH procedure but couldn't get it to work. I'd press the RTH button on the Smart Controller both briefly and held down for a moment but couldn't get the RTH function to initiate. It was a bright, sunny day so pulling up the manual on my iPhone was difficult to read, especially with far-sighted vision that even my generic reading glasses was hard to read the small iPhone screen.

So I gave up on the RTH for now and continued practicing my launching, circling the lot, then landing. The problem with the school parking lot was the numerous very tall light posts which limited the ability to conduct more aggressive maneuvers at a comfortable (for me) low height.

The bright sun also made it difficult to clearly see the terrain on the Smart Controller screen and I tried to bring up the Settings section to adjust brightness, but couldn't figure out how to get to the correct section; I had initially set the screen to adjust brightness automatically, but to me it just wasn't bright enough. Again, reading the manual in the bright day on my iPhone was too difficult so I continued ops as is. I definitely have to practice navigating to different sections of DJI Go 4.

Once the battery level dropped below 20%, I decided to call it a day even though I had two extra fully-charged batteries on-hand. Since I couldn't initiate the RTH on my own, I felt uneasy continuing flight ops with low battery power.

Getting home, I studied up on the RTH and it should be setup automatically when I launch and hover for a moment (which I always did yesterday). The manual is not so clear in the matter, but it seems I have to hold down the RTH until a message pops up to confirm the procedure, yes?

According to my flight logs, I hit a height of 293ft (AGL?) and 29 MPH during my session.

For my next session, I want to practice RTH procedures, taking videos and photos, and various Intelligent Flight Modes. I also want to bring a spotter to allow me to start concentrating on watching the screen; I presently don't feel comfortable enough losing sight of the drone.

I completely understand what you went through. It's nerve wracking. 9, 10, 11, $1,200 kind of nerve wracking. I had a P3 couple years back so I had some experience with flying and one long distance flight which amazed me. I crashed it once and it was repaired. All-in-all the hobby made me to nervous so I bailed and sold it.

I now have an MA2 (Sweet) and my first flight was to see how the drone handled. I hover only a few feet off the ground to make sure that the drone, brand new, will function properly; not die, drop, catch fire, blow up or take off. Tie a good piece of fishing line to one of the arms. You never know, out of the box, that this thing won't flip out. Just because it is new doesn't really mean perfectly working. Something could have gone wrong at the factory or the cargo ship ran into foul weather on the crossing.

Once she's nice and warmed up (10-15mins) I remove the line and do some low altitude landings and takeoffs then into moving around. The MA2 is a bit of a pig to bring to a stop but it's manageable.

As far as RTH is concerned it can get quite scary when your drone suddenly acts in a way you did not expect. Check your return to home settings, understand what RTH altitude can do to your current flight. If you are flying at say 100ft and your RTH is set to 350 you end up with that "Where the hecks it going panic moment". Happy safe flying!

It's just a PITA that I can't practice right at home where I coud gain a wealth of experience immediately and at a moment's notice. Instead, I have to plan my training sessions like a small expedition while avoiding crowds to prevent possible accidents.

Reading the manual when you are a first time drone pilot is just overwhelming with new terminology and concepts without being able to immediately practice and reference it live with the drone. The further I get into the manual, the more lost I feel as I hadn't yet been able to grasp the earlier basics. Certainly trying to learn the symbology and functions of the RC interface is a struggle without being able to test it out immediately

Hence, that first flight was a treasure trove of new experience and knowledge for me.

I've watched some drone videos and noticed that the pilot essentially stares at the screen most of the time; I just have to take that leap of faith to do the same, instead of wanting to fixate my gaze on the drone itself (like a remote controlled car). That first step is improving visibility of the video feed on the Smart Controller for my eyesight so I can learn to truly drive "remotely" through the eyes of the drone.

Reactions: Droniac
Traveling to a safe and legal place to fly isn't the end of the world. Keep in mind just a few years ago we had to not just travel some place "away" from home but to a designated flying site. Sometimes we would have to travel a couple of hours each direction to the "Flying Field". Now we just have to go until we get "All Clear" and no people around.

It seems like a big deal but in reality it's just a slight inconvenience aka First World Problem.

Spend more time in the manual and spend some time on YT.... there are a ton of instructional/How To videos on every single UAS platform listed on this forum. You'll get real-world phrases and visual cues to help you understand the terminology and concepts. Lastly, if the screen is a problem for reading the manual download it and print out the relevant sections to read on paper.

I think you're trying to do too much. Forget the gimbal and camera until you have a good handle on flying. Do box patterns with the drone facing away from you until you are comfortable and then do the same with the drone facing you. Believe me you will be plenty entertained and you will not have any worries about losing your drone. The RTH works just as advertised.

Reactions: anotherlab
Getting started is always exciting and often nerve racking. An open parking lot is a great place for a first flight as your hand learn to tell the drone what to do. You are not alone in looking at the screen for a moment and losing sight of your drone. When I first started flying I recall losing sight of it only 200 feet away. So here's a tip that I find essential: Buy a good strobe and always fly with it unless you are filming and it will show up in the footage. With 20/20 eyesight if you can see your drone past 400 feet without a strobe you are a better man than I (Gunga Din). In daylight with a strobe I find that I can keep track of it visually out to about 1600 feet and 10,000 feet at night (unobstructed).

As far as the RTH function, you have to hold it down long enough until it starts beeping. IMO that is THE failsafe of your drone. If your phone/tablet ever fails you can still get it back with RTH. If it is not working call DJI and get it sorted out because IMO it is a critical feature, especially if you are just getting familiar with your M2P.

The RTH works just as advertised.

Until it doesn't, of course. But hey, I'm a noob and perhaps I didn't press the dedicated button on my Smart Controller long enough.

I only learned of the same virtual button on the Go Pro 4 app off to the left side after returning and studying up some more. I also learned via YouTube how to manually set the Home point in case it's having difficulty automatically setting it, and what minimum height to return.

None of this I can really test until my next foray out to a cleared zone...

There are quite a few different scenarios with RTH. I know a lot of people like to try it out ASAP. With nearly 50 years of flight instruction given experience I feel that you would be better served learning the flight control basics prior to delving into giving up control of the drone to the auto functions. Other opinions may differ.
Until it doesn't, of course

So here's a tip that I find essential: Buy a good strobe and always fly with it unless you are filming and it will show up in the footage. With 20/20 eyesight if you can see your drone past 400 feet without a strobe you are a better man than I (Gunga Din). In daylight with a strobe I find that I can keep track of it visually out to about 1600 feet and 10,000 feet at night (unobstructed).

Love this idea!

There are quite a few different scenarios with RTH. I know a lot of people like to try it out ASAP. With nearly 50 years of flight instruction given experience I feel that you would be better served learning the flight control basics prior to delving into giving up control of the drone to the auto functions. Other opinions may differ.

I understand your point of view as a flight instructor (assuming you are instructing in flying "real" aircraft) as I would have the exact same position: don't give up control of the aircraft if there is no need. I personally have flown an actual aircraft (Cessna) only once, when a pilot friend gave me control, so I essentially have zero experience and perspective from this point of view.

But I think from the perspective of a recreational hobbyist flying their own personal drone (for the very first time) with a relatively large monetary investment, controlling said drone remotely through radio waves, we tend to veer towards immediately verifying the recoverability of the aircraft via automated systems for assurance.

Reactions: ckoerner
Reactions: anotherlab
Follow up on the RTH:

The dedicated physical RTH button on the Smart Controller works differently than the virtual button of DJI Go 4: You must press the physical button much longer than the virtual button, and it does NOT present any confirmation window in Go 4 but immediately initiates RTH of the drone, unlike the virtual button which does present a confirmation before initiating RTH.

Reactions: ckoerner
Welcome aboard Auggie and greetings from Albany, NY!?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan