DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight gotcha!

GizmoBowler

Reactions
First off, this is not a post of carnage or problems. It’s about being prepared.

It’s a bit long and kind of boring, so don’t say I didn’t tell you ?

This past weekend was my first serious outdoor flight and the weather was cooperating with light breeze and mild temperatures (-2 C) and light cloud cover.

I was out ice fishing and I was prepared!

All the drone, phone and controller batteries were charged and I figured I was ready.

I kept the drone batteries in my LiPo bag in my shirt pocket so they stayed warm until I needed them.

I launched, flew around to get comfortable, did a few quick shots and generally had fun. After playing a bit more I tried the RTH and was only off the pad a foot or so, so I manually landed.

At this point I figured I should actually do some fishing while I was at it. (Yep, I caught a small Lake Trout).

When I decided to take the next flight, I saw that the drone battery was at 38% so I swapped it for a fresh one.

Away I went again, this time taking it upwind to the far shore about 1km away.

Like I said, no problems or issues and RTH worked great but just after I landed my phone decided to tell me that it was going into low power mode!

Darned if I didn’t have my phone charging cable with me so my flying day was over ?

To make it worse, the clouds went away, the temp rose to +4 and all I could do was think of what could have been.

This weekend I have 6 of those rechargeable battery packs coming with me and my Mavic Mini case now has a lightning charging cord in it as part of the standard gear.

Maybe next time I’ll have a video to show but having the Mini is making me feel like a kid again which makes me ramble.

I’d say sorry, but I did warn you!

Dave

...having the Mini is making me feel like a kid again...

Good for you: knowing not to take off with 38% battery.

Thanks for a great Mini story with a solution to get you flying more next time. You summed up the simple pleasure of enjoying your Mini, and feeling like a kid again.

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Reactions: old man mavic
welcome to the forum, thats one thing about this pastime you never stop learning ,each time you fly you discover something new

Not sure if it applies to other controllers but you can fly the Mavic Mini without being connected to a phone by using just the FC controls for manual takeoff/landing etc. Just keep it in VLOS (as we always do ;)) and have fun practicing your flying reversed skills. You can use the FC controls for taking video and stills and RTH. Keep bringing it in and visually check the battery level, the auto RTH will work if you run into low battery or lose sight of it. Out on the ice is a great place to fly while waiting for the big one to bite.

Last edited:
First off, this is not a post of carnage or problems. It’s about being prepared.

It’s a bit long and kind of boring, so don’t say I didn’t tell you ?

This past weekend was my first serious outdoor flight and the weather was cooperating with light breeze and mild temperatures (-2 C) and light cloud cover.

I was out ice fishing and I was prepared!

All the drone, phone and controller batteries were charged and I figured I was ready.

I kept the drone batteries in my LiPo bag in my shirt pocket so they stayed warm until I needed them.

I launched, flew around to get comfortable, did a few quick shots and generally had fun. After playing a bit more I tried the RTH and was only off the pad a foot or so, so I manually landed.

At this point I figured I should actually do some fishing while I was at it. (Yep, I caught a small Lake Trout).

When I decided to take the next flight, I saw that the drone battery was at 38% so I swapped it for a fresh one.

Away I went again, this time taking it upwind to the far shore about 1km away.

Like I said, no problems or issues and RTH worked great but just after I landed my phone decided to tell me that it was going into low power mode!

Darned if I didn’t have my phone charging cable with me so my flying day was over ?

To make it worse, the clouds went away, the temp rose to +4 and all I could do was think of what could have been.

This weekend I have 6 of those rechargeable battery packs coming with me and my Mavic Mini case now has a lightning charging cord in it as part of the standard gear.

Maybe next time I’ll have a video to show but having the Mini is making me feel like a kid again which makes me ramble.

I’d say sorry, but I did warn you!

Dave
Dave

Ramble if you wish, this is a great hobby and fun!

You will have many great flying days that will leave you with fond memories.

Congratulations on your drone acquisition.

If it ever gets away from you and heads south , I'm on the other side of the lake and I"ll return it to you. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dedal
Welcome to the forum and good luck with future flights. This actually brings to mind if anyone has actually put together a pre-flight check list of must/need to have items in the flight bag? Be interesting to see everyone's different take on what is necessary in the bag.

at least you remembered to bring your phone...I always have my phone in my pocket...well...I usually have my phone in my pocket :(

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven