DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight on Plum Island this Morning

HogWldFLTR

Reactions
Received a new M2P yesterday afternoon and let it charge overnight. Watched a fair amount of video information and did my first drone flight this morning from the top of the deck table top. So far so good. Made several landings but only one was perfect (1/3). No damage to the copter however so all's well that ends well. Looks like in spite of all technological instincts I'm going to have to purchase some sort of Apple product (recommendations welcome) to act as a better monitor than my iPhone 8 Plus as that really does have issues in bright light settings. I really wish there was a Windows solution, oh well!!! For what it's worth some of the earliest flight testing in the US was done on Plum Island here in MA as well. At any rate, happy to be a member of the forum. I'm an older engineer who's been making semiconductor for a living for nearly 40 years. ?

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: HogWldFLTR
Received a new MP2 yesterday afternoon and let it charge overnight. Watched a fair amount of video information and did my first drone flight this morning from the top of the deck table top. So far so good. Made several landings but only one was perfect (1/3). No damage to the copter however so all's well that ends well. Looks like in spite of all technological instincts I'm going to have to purchase some sort of Apple product (recommendations welcome) to act as a better monitor than my iPhone 8 Plus as that really does have issues in bright light settings. I really wish there was a Windows solution, oh well!!! For what it's worth some of the earliest flight testing in the US was done on Plum Island here in MA as well. At any rate, happy to be a member of the forum. I'm an older engineer who's been making semiconductor for a living for nearly 40 years. ?
Welcome!
If that's Plum Island MA, doesn't the airport (2B2) put you in a No Fly Zone? Curious.
As for wanting a bigger brighter screen, the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright 7" screen beats the daylights out of anything else out there. You can actually see where you're going in midday sun. Have fun!

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome!
If that's Plum Island MA, doesn't the airport (2B2) put you in a No Fly Zone? Curious.
As for wanting a bigger brighter screen, the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright 7" screen beats the daylights out of anything else out there. You can actually see where you're going in midday sun. Have fun!

Not where I am; it's outside of the no fly zone. That was the first thing I checked. Since there is a lot of R/C flying there I'm going to stop in next time that is going on to see how I can manage flight inside the zone as well.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy.
Re your possible choices of control/visualization device: remember that an Android device is also an option.

If you haven’t yet read the full online manual check it out at the link below.

Thanks for the link; I need to take a look at it. ThumbswayupUsed to live in Tucson, btw.

-Lee

Reactions: Thomas B
Love the “Old Pueblo” !

My kids both pretty much grew up there. We miss it although we're pretty happy by the ocean in cold country now. My daughter thought that playing soccer in 102 degree heat was nothing...

Received a new MP2 yesterday afternoon and let it charge overnight. Watched a fair amount of video information and did my first drone flight this morning from the top of the deck table top. So far so good. Made several landings but only one was perfect (1/3). No damage to the copter however so all's well that ends well. Looks like in spite of all technological instincts I'm going to have to purchase some sort of Apple product (recommendations welcome) to act as a better monitor than my iPhone 8 Plus as that really does have issues in bright light settings. I really wish there was a Windows solution, oh well!!! For what it's worth some of the earliest flight testing in the US was done on Plum Island here in MA as well. At any rate, happy to be a member of the forum. I'm an older engineer who's been making semiconductor for a living for nearly 40 years. ?
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

OSU sticker on the back of my red Mini Cooper. It used to be on the back of my F250 but the dark glass made it almost impossible to see. Looking forward to seeing us blocked from the layoffs again this fall. (j/k)

Thought I'd post a Plum Island shot. This the Beachcoma, a local haunt...

And another shot from our street (on an earlier day)...

Last edited:
When I saw this I thought you were talking about the New York Plum Island, and wondered how the hell you managed a flight there.. scary place.

Your plum island looks much nicer

No this is the Massachusetts Plum Island. Originally charted by Captain John Smith of Pocahontas fame. On the map it's the small island just above Cape Ann.

john-smith-map.jpg
img[

Looks nice.
It’s funny as I had just finished reading an article about the NY Plum island and what goes on there. Not a place that would be nice to visit, and security there is over the top (if not apparent)

Not much research here other than the effects of beer on the liver.

An update as I take the first footage at the beach. Pretty unsettling with the bright light and the inability to clearly see the cell phone on the controller. Caused me to buy a Smart Controller. Never the less...

Last edited:
I see you've bought a SC. I'm sure it will work great for you but if you do end up back in the market for an apple product I would recommend an Apple iPad Air. I run an Apple iPad Air II on the PolarPro Flightdeck Monitor Mount. I really like the set up. I bought the RE goggles with my M2P and figured most of my flying would be in FPV with those on my head but to be honest I have found that I enjoy flying with the iPad more. Goggles are now basically entertainment for my kids to wear while i'm flying.

I see you've bought a SC. I'm sure it will work great for you but if you do end up back in the market for an apple product I would recommend an Apple iPad Air. I run an Apple iPad Air II on the PolarPro Flightdeck Monitor Mount. I really like the set up. I bought the RE goggles with my M2P and figured most of my flying would be in FPV with those on my head but to be honest I have found that I enjoy flying with the iPad more. Goggles are now basically entertainment for my kids to wear while i'm flying.

Is the iPad Air significantly brighter than the iPhone 8 Plus?

I would say it is, however I can’t verify because I don’t have an iPhone 8. I can say that with the brightness turned all the way up on my iPad Air, and with the 9.7” screen size, I can see the screen just fine in the sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61