DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Question...

Stealth01

Reactions
Made my first flight this morning with a Mavic Air 2. After much reading of the suggestions offered on the forum, landings and takeoffs were divisible by 2, thank you! But, during my “first explorations“ with my new drone I was puzzled by a performance quirk. After feeling comfortable with takeoffs and landings I headed out on my first extended departure. I had 70% battery and was flying in Normal Mode with no wind and my forward speed was limited to 5 to 7 MPH with full throttle! I tried it several times with the same results. I switched the Mode to Sport and the drone accelerated to >10MPH... I switched back to Normal Mode and then the drone accelerated to >29MPH. Was this a fluke or did I have something set wrong?? Drone seemed fine after that initial lack of acceleration. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Not sure if it is a bug, but had something similar happen on my first flight, just changed the speed and it sorted it out.

Mine was from Normal to Sport, when switched to sport it carried on at same speed. Then checked, turned back to normal and then Sport and watched it zoom off :)

I can't tell you about the MA2, but I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have experienced having to switch modes for it to recognize being in the right mode. This seems to be a regular oddity, but I don't have a handle on what causes it, because it only happens sometimes and I don't think I've had the same exact experience as you. But just switching in and out of the normal mode seems to normalize things. I'm sure others will have more to say about it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
All I know and can say on subject is I noted that if you take off in any other mode than Normal/P mode. Then it defaults to standard mode or Normal/P anyway. You then have to physically switch to P mode and then back to Tripod/Sport to engage...if that makes sense?

I had one of those live link conversations with DJI help
back in August when i first got my MA2 with the same query
and was told to always start/take off in normal mode then once
in the air you can then switch modes. ??

Reactions: A.O.
Was this a fluke or did I have something set wrong??
The way to find out what happened in most flight incidents is to look at the recorded flight data.
Perhaps someone can find a clue to what your drone was doing.

Go to: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

I had one of those live link conversations with DJI help
back in August when i first got my MA2 with the same query
and was told to always start/take off in normal mode then once
in the air you can then switch modes. [emoji1303]
That's true, but OP's problem was too slow flight even for normal mode.

I have had something similar happen a few times and from what I've gathered it seems to, at least in my instances, have something to do with trying to move at a high speed while still low to the ground. If I take off and try to gun it I'm locked in to a slow speed, like cinesmooth/ tripod slow, unless I manually turn off obstacle avoidance or move the switch to tripod or sport mode. If I shoot up to altitude right away however it allows full throttle input based on the mode selected. Kind of feels like it was meant to be a safety feature that wasn't fully fleshed out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest