DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

first flight today,,,,,,,,,scared the,,,,,, out of me

I have used return to home on almost every flight, including my first one, and I'm pretty sure I was in beginner mode in some of those. Most of the time it's an extremely smooth, very precise landing. I did have one that was very erratic when it got within about five feet of the ground, totally uncontrolled, going this way and that. I thought that maybe the wind was playing games with the drone as I was standing near a passageway through a building that could have produced a wind tunnel like effect. I cancelled RTH and landed it with the sticks.

this is exactly what mine did, got close to rth point then went beserk all over the place and wouldnt respond to my inputs, today rth worked fine though, very weird

was today at a different location, could have been magnetic interference of metal nearby. get confident in controlling the mavic on the sticks as rth can fail you for many reasons, taking over manually can save your drone.

was today at a different location, could have been magnetic interference of metal nearby. get confident in controlling the mavic on the sticks as rth can fail you for many reasons, taking over manually can save your drone.
yes different location, the one with weird behavior was close to a skate park with tons of cement with i assume rebar in it but was all burried under 2ft of snow haha, yes i need much more practice on the sticks, hoping to get her out this weekend too

A flow chart would be nice for us newbies

My $0.02 I am also a newbie, 10 years on a USN Nuclear missile submarine taught me one thing, learn your emergency procedures and practice them until they are automatic, Have the RC setup in Multiple Flight Modes so you can just flip the switch on the right side of the RC. The first time you loose control when winds overpower your MP switch to sport mode to give you the extra speed and lower altitude. Understand your surroundings to know if you can lose altitude. Practice, practice, practice until you can fly your aircraft home without backing it home (no avoidance sensors in reverse) stick controls are opposite to what your eyes are seeing.

Don't fly in marginal conditions UAV Forecast and B4UFly are two great apps to have. You may have marginal wind at ground level but when you get up a couple hundred feet, be prepared to loose your bird if you don't know what to do without thinking about it.

After installing new firmware, check all settings, Multiple Flight Modes, RTH elevation and other settings may / probably will be reset to factory

Rant over,

Larry

thanx for all the great replies, i took her out again today and i used a different phone for the monitor, hoped this one would be brighter but it wasnt, she flew awsome and i got some incredible pics, but about halfway thru battery one, the phone disconected from the controller and wouldnt come back on line, it went into atti mode and for a few min it didnt seem like the controller was respnding to my actions, i mnaged to get her down to land and i powered every thing off then back on and all was well, what would cause a complete disconect? also the image seemed very choppy, mybe the phoen isnt powerful enough to handle the video feed? could the phone have froze maybe? very strange, much better flight today and i am super happy with the images, but for the life of me i dont see the hdr images, are they labled different or the same as reg images, i took about a dozen photos and some hdr but i dont see them in the media folder, again thanx for all the replies
look at the properties of the pics,sometimes its hard to tell with the naked eye

Reactions: Gonçalo
it wont let you set it if in beginner mode

so in beginnner mode when u want rth to work the best u cannnot set a rth point? that doesnt seem right, i have flown 3 times now and i am heading out today once everything charges up, hoping for a glitch free flight haha, weather is great, cold and over cast so no glare on the frozen lakes i hope to shoot,

look at the properties of the pics,sometimes its hard to tell with the naked eye
ahh yes i will try that, i assume a hdr file shoud be a bit larger, i am more intersted in the panorama shots, i have got some stunning images, totally impressed with the files,

so in beginnner mode when u want rth to work the best u cannnot set a rth point? that doesnt seem right, i have flown 3 times now and i am heading out today once everything charges up, hoping for a glitch free flight haha, weather is great, cold and over cast so no glare on the frozen lakes i hope to shoot,
you can set rth but height is restricted in beginner mode to 30m

Reactions: genesimmons
My $0.02 I am also a newbie, 10 years on a USN Nuclear missile submarine taught me one thing, learn your emergency procedures and practice them until they are automatic
After installing new firmware, check all settings, Multiple Flight Modes, RTH elevation and other settings may / probably will be reset to factory.

Larry

Can't agree more. A flow chart just helps with your prepping the aircraft, not something for an emergency. I agree with your statement to practice practice practice. But (for example) I don't go into the IMU or Compass menu often and I doubt it would help in an emergency situation once you've launched. During pre-flight I just want to know where whatever I'm looking for in the menu is without plucking through its selections. Yes I'll learn the menu's structure one of these days... probably :D... isn't there a new Mavic coming out?

Maybe with updates the menu changes during update to update? I have several computerized telescopes and a flow charts are nice especially jumping from one operating system to another. JMO.

I think It's a good idea to understand how the aircraft works in ATTI mode (and RTH)...at least it was for me. Fortunately I fly other crap that is more difficult to use than DJI stuff so that helped me a bit. The Mavic is an amazing piece of technology though... still the menu kind of spins a lot of folks, myself included o_O

Last edited:
thanx for all the great replies, i took her out again today and i used a different phone for the monitor, hoped this one would be brighter but it wasnt, she flew awsome and i got some incredible pics, but about halfway thru battery one, the phone disconected from the controller and wouldnt come back on line, it went into atti mode and for a few min it didnt seem like the controller was respnding to my actions, i mnaged to get her down to land and i powered every thing off then back on and all was well, what would cause a complete disconect? also the image seemed very choppy, mybe the phoen isnt powerful enough to handle the video feed? could the phone have froze maybe? very strange, much better flight today and i am super happy with the images, but for the life of me i dont see the hdr images, are they labled different or the same as reg images, i took about a dozen photos and some hdr but i dont see them in the media folder, again thanx for all the replies

What phone are you using? If it’s not capable enough, the app will crash and throw a fit. DJI GO 4 is very demanding on a phone’s processor. Many cheap devices can’t handle it all that well. That’s explain the choppy video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661