Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First impressions of the DJI Air 3 Fly More Combo (DJI RC 2) bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm a longtime Mavic Air 2 pilot who had been waiting impatiently for an Air-series drone to arrive with all-around object avoidance. The wait has ended! I haven't flown the drone around enough to give any deep insights into its flight characteristics, and there are plenty of folks on YouTube who have done that already.

But here are some very first impressions of the "DJI Air 3 Fly More Combo (DJI RC 2)" bundle itself – and a few flight things – including some things I didn't learn from watching 50 YouTube videos about the Air 3. Some things about the RC 2 remote are likely not new, but are new to me because I had been using the RC-N1 remote with my phone attached, and the RC 2 includes a touchscreen. Here goes:
  1. I guess I could have examined the package contents more carefully beforehand, but this still surprised me: DJI doesn't include any sort of power brick, even in the Fly More package. (They do include a high-quality but short USB-C cable, which is small comfort.) DJI's 65-watt charger is an outrageous US$79 and out of stock to boot. I ordered a 100-watt Anker power brick from Amazon instead for about $27. It arrived overnight. It seems to work nicely and fits in the zippered lid pocket of the Fly More carrying case. The one I bought also comes with a USB-C charging cable that's longer than the one in the Fly More package. I'd definitely go with 100 watts rather than 65. This is really worth keeping in mind: Even the deluxe package doesn't have any way to charge itself.

2. The drone batteries arrived without much charge; the RC 2 came with a low charge. I had to distract myself for a few hours while I waited for things to charge (after I found a power brick around the house that would do it!).

3. The thumb sticks for the RC 2 are attached by very, very thin bolts, and the sticks seem very easy to lose. One loosened up on me without a whole lot of use and it almost fell off. The Fly More package does not contain extras, unlike the Air 2's package. And the threads are different, so if you have leftovers from your older controllers, they're not gonna work as spares.

4. This is likely not new to the Air 3, but I thought it's worth mentioning that the object avoidance works only in the light (They're cameras, not LIDAR, etc.). There's a helpful indicator on the top right of the screen telling you when the sensors are not working. For the first time in my piloting career, I tested a limitation like this by gingerly edging up to an object instead of plowing into an object. The alarms didn't go off at all.

5. Wires are still going to be a problem. I cozied the Air 3 up next to some of the wires coming into my house from the street, and the sensors didn't register them at all.

6. On the RC 2, there isn't a way to set double-taps for the buttons (unlike the older remotes, where you could set the gimbal to fling itself up and down with a double-tap). There are extra buttons on the bottom, which makes up for this, but it's a muscle-memory adjustment.

7. One of the first accessories I bought for my Air 2 was the PGYTECH propeller holder, which does a very nice job. PGYTECH hasn't released any Air 3 stuff yet, and the one, lesser-looking, prop holder I've seen for the Air 3 won't ship until the end of August. Holy smokes, is it a pain to wrangle the drone around with its propellers unsecured. PGYTECH: Update your lineup and take my money.

8. This is something that I'd noticed before I bought the drone, but I'll note it for the record: Again, unlike the Air 2 Fly More package, the Air 3 Fly More package doesn't contain any ND filters. They're a separate $99 purchase now.

9. The gimbal protector is quite nice, and it's a lot less fiddly to get it on than it is to get the Air 2's on. Replacements are a reasonable $12.

10. I also did know this, but it's worth mentioning: The RC 2 has internal storage, but it can take a Micro SD card as well. So if you're buying cards as part of ordering the Air 3, you're gonna want to buy at least two along with the power adapter mentioned in #1.

11. I'm super-delighted to have real waypoints, and am going to go outside to test them just as soon as I post this. But building them on the RC 2's touch screen seems kind of excruciating; it would be so much more helpful if we could build them on a desktop or an iPad offline and import them to and export them from the controller.

12. Instead of a button to flip back and forth between video and photo modes, there are now left and right triggers. Hit the video trigger (the left one) once to pop to that mode, then hit it again to start recording. The photo trigger on the right works the same way, but pulling it halfway focuses the shot first, which is pretty cool. They've overall done a nice job of setting things up so that you don't need move your fingers away from the triggers or joysticks.
I think that's about it. If you have any questions about the package, I'll be happy to try to answer them. I'll note here for the record that I have no relationship with DJI; I paid full-price cash money for my Air 3 combo from Amazon.

The tl;dr on the drone itself so far is that it's lovely, and just what I was hoping it would be.

[I first posted this on Reddit in r/DJI; thought it might be useful here as well]

One of the first accessories I bought for my Air 2 was the PGYTECH propeller holder, which does a very nice job. PGYTECH hasn't released any Air 3 stuff yet, and the one, lesser-looking, prop holder I've seen for the Air 3 won't ship until the end of August. Holy smokes, is it a pain to wrangle the drone around with its propellers unsecured. PGYTECH: Update your lineup and take my money.
Before my hard case arrived I thought I was going to break a prop or two just from sliding the Air 3 out of the bag or back in to the bag. Found a nice thin strap made for the Air3 on Amazon. It doesn't interfere with the tight cut out in the hard case like some of the bulky prop holders I have on my other drones. Fast shipping too.

I have only flown my Air 3 a couple of times, and haven't gone through any of its capabilities.

Reactions: Torque
@Thmoore, my first drone, the Air 3 Fly More kit, arrives soon. Couple questions about your post:

Do you have an Amazon link for the Anker charger you bought?

Also, which specific Micro SD do you recommend?

I will order the prop straps @Torque mentions above.

Coming from air, I wasn`t expecting any ND filters but not coming with a power brick was kinda cheap I thought.
As you mentioned the sticks and that tiny thread, yuck. I was flying my air 1 last week and putting them on is so much easier for my aged, large clumsy fingers.

yes the propellers do get in the way when unsecured and trying to put it in the bag, I honestly thought I was doing it wrong. Glad it is not just me. Can have a product number for that 100-watt Anker power brick? I just looked on Amazon Japan the one I found was close in price to the DJI one.

Aside from that am loving the drone and the RC-2, so much easier to fly than with the air 1 controller and my sh#$y phone.

1. How would you compare the noise level of the Air 3 to the Air 2? Loudness and tone.

2. Can the waypoints be set in the app if I order the RC-N2? (I like having a bigger screen)

3. Does anyone know if there is a range difference between the RC-N2 and RC 2?

I think I've decided to get the Air 3 over the M3, now I'm trying to decide on which controller to get. I like having a slightly brighter screen built in but I hate giving up the screen size or cellular connectivity of my phone/tablets.

Coming from air, I wasn`t expecting any ND filters but not coming with a power brick was kinda cheap I thought.

How one sees this is relative.

My household is already filled with Power Delivery powered devices and has been for some time, so I have half a dozen or so PD chargers.

As such, I'm grateful DJI didn't make me pay for something I don't need. For you I understand the disappointment, but it's an inconvenience rather than wasted money that could be put to use on something like ND filters.

Reactions: monchan
How one sees this is relative.

My household is already filled with Power Delivery powered devices and has been for some time, so I have half a dozen or so PD chargers.

As such, I'm grateful DJI didn't make me pay for something I don't need. For you I understand the disappointment, but it's an inconvenience rather than wasted money that could be put to use on something like ND filters.
You are assuming they would have had to raise the price to include the charger.
All comparison pricing to other drones was based upon the assumption of the inclusion of the charger, like with all other DJI drones. So, DJI just increased their profit by not including it! HAH!

Reactions: Torque and Thmoore
All comparison pricing to other drones was based upon the assumption of the inclusion of the charger, like with all other DJI drones. So, DJI just increased their profit by not including it! HAH!

Also, how many Air 3 reviews have you seen where they mention that the Fly More package contains ND filters (as previous Air Fly Mores did?), which, needless to say, it does not.

Having said all this, I don't begrudge DJI what they've done here. I'd gladly trade everything they added to the aircraft's capabilities for the stuff they left out of the package.

@Thmoore, my first drone, the Air 3 Fly More kit, arrives soon. Couple questions about your post:

Do you have an Amazon link for the Anker charger you bought?

Also, which specific Micro SD do you recommend?

I will order the prop straps @Torque mentions above.

You bet! Here it is:

Price at the moment on Amazon is 30% off US$38, or $26.60. I'm trying out carrying two of them, with their cables, in the lid pocket of the Fly More case. That way, I can theoretically charge the battery pack and the drone at the same time at top speed if I need to (or the batteries and the RC 2 controller). They fit, but they are heavy.

For SD cards, I recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB, which is $18.91 on Amazon at the moment:

I get the "Pro" line because my Insta360 cameras seem to need the extra write speed, and I want to have my fleet of SD cards as flexible and swappable as possible. DJI's drones seem to not need the extra speed, but as the performance on these cards tends to deteriorate a bit over time, you're not going to regret having paid a little bit for extra speed at the outset. The non-pro cards are $12.99:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 10.16.02 AM.png

And I get the 128GB cards, and carry a few extras in the bag, because that's about as much footage as I could bear losing if my drone were to sink in a lake (has happened) or if my Insta360 camera were to unscrew itself from its selfie stick and get lost forever while I was out running (has also happened). If you have the RC 2 controller, I'd also recommend getting the 128GB card for it, as you can pop it over to the drone in a pinch (which I had to do this past weekend, not because I was doing anything exotic, but because I rushed getting out of the house and left the aircraft's SD card and my spares on my desk...).

I'll note that I'm not an Amazon affiliate of any sort, and I've taken all the tracking information out of these Amazon URLs. Amazon is just where I buy my stuff.

1. How would you compare the noise level of the Air 3 to the Air 2? Loudness and tone.

2. Can the waypoints be set in the app if I order the RC-N2? (I like having a bigger screen)

3. Does anyone know if there is a range difference between the RC-N2 and RC 2?

I think I've decided to get the Air 3 over the M3, now I'm trying to decide on which controller to get. I like having a slightly brighter screen built in but I hate giving up the screen size or cellular connectivity of my phone/tablets.

1. It seems a little quieter, with a slightly more pleasing tone? I may just be in the honeymoon phase, though, and am seeing everything in the best possible light.

2. Yes, I am pretty sure waypoints can be set in the Fly app on your phone or tablet.

3. Some folks have said no, there's no difference. I have a vague recollection of reading that the RC 2 has more antennas on board than the RC-N2, but I can't track that down.

I do kind of miss having my phone as part of the remote controller. It's a lot more complicated getting stuff off the drone and onto my devices with the RC 2, and if the API ever does get released, it doesn't look like DJI's going to make it easy to install any other apps on the RC 2 (where adding them to your phone would be a piece of cake).

Reactions: thispilothere

Of course. Only businesses determined to fail give things away, unless part of a limited promotional campaign.

And you know this how?

Based on my decades of experience participating in these discussions and decisions at HP, Intuit, and AWS what you describe here is nonsense.

Do you have inside information about these decisions for the Air 3? I'm actually hoping to be surprised, a good session of bashing DJI Marketing for being idiots would be fun.

Far more likely this is simply another step in DJI's adoption of the universal PD standard, just as smartphone manufacturers and others are doing.

Last edited:
Of course. Only businesses determined to fail give things away, unless part of a limited promotional campaign.

And you know this how?

Based on my decades of experience participating in these discussions and decisions at HP, Intuit, and AWS what you describe here is nonsense.

Do you have inside information about these decisions for the Air 3? I'm actually hoping to be surprised, a good session of bashing DJI Marketing for being idiots would be fun.
Well, wait a minute. If a company includes a charger and charges $X for the package, and then eliminates the charger and still charges $X for the package, its costs have gone down and its revenue remains the same, so its profit has gone up. That's just math.

If the company puts all sorts of cool features into the aircraft that cost more money, and doesn't raise prices, that increases costs with no more revenue, so the company's profit goes down on that item.

But if the company does both things, it may have roughly evened out its costs, kept the same revenue, and maintained is profit margin. That's what appears to have happened with the Air 3 package.

Well, wait a minute. If a company includes a charger and charges $X for the package, and then eliminates the charger and still charges $X for the package, its costs have gone down and its revenue remains the same, so its profit has gone up. That's just math.

Yes, of course. The math is sound.

It's your claims that are not.

Unless I've missed something, the Air 3 was never offered with a charger to compare pricing to. If I'm wrong, I'll happily concede the argument.

Otherwise you might as well be rambling on about aliens. It would be just as (un)grounded in actual facts.

I'll speculate, based on my experience, as to what was far more likely in the pricing discussions: "Our pricing models show that if we leave the charger out, and reduce the price fron $1600 to $1500 sales will increase by 10% over the expected life of the product."

Doing the math, I have no doubt this makes a bunch more money than the $75 they would net per unit including the charger.

[Rude comment removed by ADMIN, We are better than this.]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Yes, of course. The math is sound.

It's your claims that are not.

Unless I've missed something, the Air 3 was never offered with a charger to compare pricing to. If I'm wrong, I'll happily concede the argument.

Otherwise you might as well be rambling on about aliens. It would be just as (un)grounded in actual facts.

I'll speculate, based on my experience, as to what was far more likely in the pricing discussions: "Our pricing models show that if we leave the charger out, and reduce the price fron $1600 to $1500 sales will increase by 10% over the expected life of the product."

Doing the math, I have no doubt this makes a bunch more money than the $75 they would net per unit including the charger.

[Rude comment removed by ADMIN, We are better than this.]

Not sure why this conversation is getting adversarial. I think you may be lumping together responses from several people.

I totally agree with your point, above, that we are starting to have plenty of Power Delivery power bricks around, and it wasn't key for DJI to include one. The only reason I mentioned it is because it's a change from past practice, and I didn't want people to be surprised, like I was. (I am super delighted that we can charge with USB, which just makes everything so much easier.)

To your point about the charger: The Air 2/2S Fly More packages included a wall plug and things like ND filters and extra control sticks. The Air 3 Fly More package does not. From the 2/2S to the 3, DJI saved costs on those things, spent more on the aircraft's innards to give it new capabilities, roughly maintained the price on the package and, likely, kept their margins about the same. I don't mean to be implying any sort of conspiracy in stating this.

As I said in response to another comment: "I don't begrudge DJI what they've done here. I'd gladly trade everything they added to the aircraft's capabilities for the stuff they left out of the package."

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, keep is civil. Otherwise, you may receive warnings and have this thread closed as well.

Reactions: BigAl07
all i can say with regards to this thread is, times are changing in the world of what should, or should not, be included,in such and such a product not just with drones ,a lot of it is to do with so called green ideology ,where producing similar products, all having specific this and that ,just means having more of them to dispose of, and more raw materials to make them in the first place.

Reactions: Thmoore and Torque
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne