DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Incident with my Mavic Pro

Plonker

Reactions
Not here to bash the Mavic Pro as I love the thing but I had my first "crash" yesterday :(

I had just updated to latest firmware and was taking it for its first flight. Flew it around close and low to the ground to make sure all was ok, all seemed fine so I took it out for a good fly. Tried Sport mode and it was all good. Brought it back and wanted to get some shots of my car so put it into Tripod mode, this is when things went weird. AC stopped responding to stick inputs, I thought it was just super super slow in tripod mode but it started drifting away (still connected on the app and controller, strong GPS and ~40% Battery). Nothing I did with the sticks was working it just kept drifting. Was about 3m up so looked around for something to stand on to try and grab it but before I could the motors turned off and the AC fell onto the concrete.

Battery got ejected on impact and the small tab on the gimbal stabilizer plate was snapped and the gimbal was giving me an overload error. Motors still spin up and there is no tension in the motors so not sure why they would have stopped (no I did not use the CSC).

I have sent the AC back to DJI this morning with a repair case so hopefully they can investigate and find out why this happened.

Anybody else have this issue?

Lucky I have a Mavic Air and Spark to play with while my MP is in for repairs.

I haven't gone into tripod mode yet, so that won't be happening any time soon!

Hope you get some answers from DJI. My mavic was flying as it should before the upgrade, seeing this post has added some caution after the upgrade. Looks like I might not get to give it a good test this weekend due to wind, but we'll see!

Hope you get some answers from DJI. My mavic was flying as it should before the upgrade, seeing this post has added some caution after the upgrade. Looks like I might not get to give it a good test this weekend due to wind, but we'll see!
I just purchased one yesterday off Amazon and I sure don't like hearing firmware bugs again.
Currently own a P2V+ & P3S fully RF booster & Ant mod-ed.

To update or to not, that is the question. Will be following this thread for its outcome...

No update as yet. My case is at the "Quotation Sent" stage but I have not received the quotation yet. I got onto their Online Support and asked what the outcome of the investigation was and was told that they didn't investigate just sent me a quotation to pay for repair. I re-iterated to them that the AC stopped responding to stick input and then the motors stopped themselves and it fell from the sky after a firmware update, which was the Third time I had told them. They have now requested my .txt log files and any video but I was not filming at the time. I have sent them the Log files and hope they back up what happened and help me get to the bottom of things.

I don't really care that much if I have to pay for the repair but what I don't want is this to happen again and be back in the same boat.

Dropbox link to Flight Record for any Detectives.
Dropbox - DJIFlightRecord_2018-02-28_[17-30-33].txt

In tripod mode the movements are very slow (specially compared to the sport mode)
Looks like you did have some GPS issue. GPS health dropped to 2 and GPS satellites dropped to 6. you also got a GPS warning when you took off.
in the end it did fall from ~3m, but i can't see why. more data from the .DAT from the mavic would probably help (motor RPM).

PS: the txt contains pictures. you basically posted a (crappy) pic of yourself in the window glare when you took a picture of the office window...

Reactions: JeanVos
In tripod mode the movements are very slow (specially compared to the sport mode)
Looks like you did have some GPS issue. GPS health dropped to 2 and GPS satellites dropped to 6. you also got a GPS warning when you took off.
in the end it did fall from ~3m, but i can't see why. more data from the .DAT from the mavic would probably help (motor RPM).

PS: the txt contains pictures. you basically posted a (crappy) pic of yourself in the window glare when you took a picture of the office window...
Lol yeah that was a crappy picture but of my boss :p

Also I know the controls are slow in Tripod mode, I use it a fair bit. But the controls usually still respond not just drift in the opposite direction.

People say when the Mavic drops in Atti (because of bad GPS reception OR a compass error) it will be unresponsive for a short while. It will try to get a GPS fix again and ignores input. I wished DJI would not have programmed that in. I'd rather have manual control instantly. My Mavic has never dropped out of GPS so I have no experience with this particular behaviour myself.

People say when the Mavic drops in Atti (because of bad GPS reception OR a compass error) it will be unresponsive for a short while. It will try to get a GPS fix again and ignores input. I wished DJI would not have programmed that in. I'd rather have manual control instantly. My Mavic has never dropped out of GPS so I have no experience with this particular behaviour myself.
Anyone who can confirm this with live experience?

Reply from DJI

"
Thanks for your patience.

For your claimed case CAS-15********, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

Flight data: fly069 incident date: 2018-02-28

1. The aircraft was working in Tripod mode, and then the GPS signal of flight environment changed to poor (signal level was 2), and the aircraft was working in ATTI mode actually then;

2. At t=714s,h=3m,the aircraft crashed while the pilot pushed pitch stick forward

According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. We will have our quotation team to follow up on your case soon. Have a great day."

Sooooo I pushed pitch stick forward and crashed into something invisible in an open car park at 3m which stopped my motors and dropped the AC from the sky all because bad GPS? Long story short pilot apparently.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev