DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Purchase Remorse

Hi All, I recently made my first ever drone buy - Mavic Air (arrives in 2 days). While I am new to this, I feel like the an above beginner due to the amount of extensive research I’ve invested on drones, DJI Models in particular. I’ve seen enough to know that I couldn’t go wrong either way, however for my first Purchase, with the reduced pricing of the Pro, should I have gotten this over the Air?

I fully realize this is an subjective question, but any experience input or mind easing is welcomed.
Should wait for Enterprise but it sounds like money is an issue.

I have an MA and an M2P. The MA is so much fun and I would miss it more than the M2.

It’s such a capable little thing and you can genuinely take it anywhere and do pretty much anything with it.

The MP2 is a more ‘serious’ tool and is more technically capable but that does not make it necessarily better.

For starting off with in particular you’ll do well with the MA - you’ll be able to learn to fly and learn all the elements of aerial filming and photography and you’ll have fun with it too.

I’ve been contemplating getting a M2P due to the upgraded camera. Do you notice a big difference between that and the Air?

I appreciate your 2 cents is more than my 0! I live in an area where there are plenty of amazing places to fly & shoot. Hills, large rock formations, and the beach just 16 minutes west. Essentially, I intend to use it just for fun and maybe if lucky, grab some cool pics & videos along the way.
For fun and cool pics you will love the Air, you made a good choice. Now if you were comparing against the MP2 that would be a different story.

Reactions: SDFLYER619
I’ve been contemplating getting a M2P due to the upgraded camera. Do you notice a big difference between that and the Air?

The M2P is an enormous upgrade camera-wise compared to the Air, especially for stills. You have a 12MP 1/2.3" sensor in the Air which is OK for video but quite frankly bad for stills - it's just physics. The M2P uses a 20MP 1" sensor from Sony with enormously better still image quality, better ISO performance and better dynamic range. On the video side it isn't as cut and dry - the M2Pro does allow for 10bit D-Log RAW footage which is great, but it cannot do distortion correction in the drone while shooting that mode, so you need to correct in post processing if you choose to shoot in that mode. Further, if you want the highest quality footage from the M2P you need to shoot in "HQ" mode which reduces your field of vision down from about 77 degrees to about 55 degrees. If you're going to use it for video outside of D-Log, there is not as much of an upgrade with regards to video quality over the Air or M2 Zoom. Once you bring stills into the equation, everything changes as the M2P is night and day superior. Obviously the M2P is also just a better aircraft than the Air (not in every area, but it does obviously have occusync, more sensors, more range, etc.), so there's that too if the size/cost are not issues.

I think a M2P compliments the Air well, since there is such a significant size/weight difference between the two that it still makes sense to own both for some users. If everywhere you go/travel is not a problem for the M2P, then that is the better drone if you are to only keep one.

Also consider your usage - do you like to just shoot videos for fun and process them on your iPad or some other basic software? If so you are going to notice even less of a difference between the M2P and the Air on the video side of things. If you want to shoot 10bit D-Log and correct for distortions and color grade it after the fact, there is some value there with regards to extra flexibility and file malleability. If you shoot a lot of stills, the M2P is a complete no-brainer if you are OK with the size/cost.

Essentially, I intend to use it just for fun and maybe if lucky, grab some cool pics & videos along the way.

I re-read this thread and missed this before - honestly you sound like an ideal customer for the Air. Also it is by far the most portable of the "higher end" DJI drones, which likely means you will use it more and have it with you more often.

The M2P is an enormous upgrade camera-wise compared to the Air, especially for stills. You have a 12MP 1/2.3" sensor in the Air which is OK for video but quite frankly bad for stills - it's just physics. The M2P uses a 20MP 1" sensor from Sony with enormously better still image quality, better ISO performance and better dynamic range. On the video side it isn't as cut and dry - the M2Pro does allow for 10bit D-Log RAW footage which is great, but it cannot do distortion correction in the drone while shooting that mode, so you need to correct in post processing if you choose to shoot in that mode. Further, if you want the highest quality footage from the M2P you need to shoot in "HQ" mode which reduces your field of vision down from about 77 degrees to about 55 degrees. If you're going to use it for video outside of D-Log, there is not as much of an upgrade with regards to video quality over the Air or M2 Zoom. Once you bring stills into the equation, everything changes as the M2P is night and day superior. Obviously the M2P is also just a better aircraft than the Air (not in every area, but it does obviously have occusync, more sensors, more range, etc.), so there's that too if the size/cost are not issues.

I think a M2P compliments the Air well, since there is such a significant size/weight difference between the two that it still makes sense to own both for some users. If everywhere you go/travel is not a problem for the M2P, then that is the better drone if you are to only keep one.

Also consider your usage - do you like to just shoot videos for fun and process them on your iPad or some other basic software? If so you are going to notice even less of a difference between the M2P and the Air on the video side of things. If you want to shoot 10bit D-Log and correct for distortions and color grade it after the fact, there is some value there with regards to extra flexibility and file malleability. If you shoot a lot of stills, the M2P is a complete no-brainer if you are OK with the size/cost.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the detailed feedback. I mainly shoot stills so it sounds like the M2P is worth the upgrade. Still love my Air and doubt I’d get much back for it at this point so I’ll likely hang on to that as well.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the detailed feedback. I mainly shoot stills so it sounds like the M2P is worth the upgrade. Still love my Air and doubt I’d get much back for it at this point so I’ll likely hang on to that as well.

I need to put some more time on the 2P to give you a proper answer but @CanadaDrone sums up my initial thoughts well.

My Air isn’t going anywhere though - it’s just too much fun and too likeable to get rid of. It really is a chuck it up in the air, go anywhere solution. You’d be surprised how much smaller it is so flying in denser trees etc it makes a difference.

The 2P is a lot more stable and feels the more ‘serious’ aircraft and there is easily enough difference between them to justify keeping both.

Reactions: zwt100
I have the MP and love it, and I was in your shoes Oct/Nov 2017 and mine was P4 vs. MP. MP hands down. Now personally for me having the RC connection is better than just Wifi and with the influx of other Wifi products from Modems/Routers just didn’t feel safe flying.

Yeah the MP camera is only 12MP but it still takes great pics and amazing 4K video. I don’t have to worry about stills to much as I have a I2 and M210 that I put my Zenmuse X5S onto that is 20.8MP and 4K/5.2K if I really NEED that shot to be amazing.

Like someone else said just buy the MP also and play with both for awhile, if one ticks all the boxes more than the other sell the one that doesn’t meet your needs or be greedy and keep both and have the Air as backup to the MP (Platinum?).

Good luck

Hi All, I recently made my first ever drone buy - Mavic Air (arrives in 2 days). While I am new to this, I feel like the an above beginner due to the amount of extensive research I’ve invested on drones, DJI Models in particular. I’ve seen enough to know that I couldn’t go wrong either way, however for my first Purchase, with the reduced pricing of the Pro, should I have gotten this over the Air?

I fully realize this is an subjective question, but any experience input or mind easing is welcomed.

I agree with others that it depends on what you want to use the drone for. I do roof inspections for insurance companies and believe it or not, I used my Mavic Air just yesterday as the primary drone for a job I did. The house had overhanging tree branches that my larger drones could not get to. I could fly the MA right under the branches. Please keep in mind experience and caution must be applied. In my humble opinion, each drone has its place in the professional arena as well as for the hobbyist. Of the four drones, I own, I use the P4P and MA the most. Also, keep in mind that as you gain experience with your MA you can always step up to larger drones. I think the MA is the drone, to begin with. Good luck, fly safely.

I also had a dilemma to buy. After several months of research, and considering my needs and money options, I narrowed down the choice of plaster and airplane pro. Since I use dron always in combination with the camera, the size of the drone was one of the more important factors in deciding. Of course, the quality of the image and the gimball also affected my choice. The price of mavic pro in combo variants is increased by almost 400 euros from the mavic air also in combo variants. I decided to use a mavic air and I think it was a good choice at that moment. Mavic pro is a bit larger, but it's a bit too much if you carry other equipment next to the drone itself. Still, I'm a little sorry for the plaster pro because it has a higher range and a battery that lasts longer.

I have 3 MPP and probably have the highest crash record on the forum simply because of pushing the envelope, and doing so really stupid stuff. I like distance flying over the trees here in the Tennessee countryside. DJI drones are a love hate relationship for me. The technology is incredible, the craftsmanship...not so much.

I've dropped one out of a tree from 90 feet, left one in the rain for three days, dropped another from 120 feet in mid flight from an electrical disconnect...don't ask. After all the mishaps, all three of my Mavic Pro Platinum's are still flying, one of which has a less than perfect arm; it sort of flexes a little on takeoff LOL.

All said and done, these are fairly robust little gems that offer lots of satisfaction, even if some is in the form of repair. I don't think it really matters which you get, as long as it meets your flying style. I have co-workers who fly the 100 mph + drones and do things like this click here. if I tried that... did I mention my crash record LOL

Have fun and fly it like you stole it

I have 3 MPP and probably have the highest crash record on the forum simply because of pushing the envelope, and doing so really stupid stuff. I like distance flying over the trees here in the Tennessee countryside. DJI drones are a love hate relationship for me. The technology is incredible, the craftsmanship...not so much.

I've dropped one out of a tree from 90 feet, left one in the rain for three days, dropped another from 120 feet in mid flight from an electrical disconnect...don't ask. After all the mishaps, all three of my Mavic Pro Platinum's are still flying, one of which has a less than perfect arm; it sort of flexes a little on takeoff LOL.

All said and done, these are fairly robust little gems that offer lots of satisfaction, even if some is in the form of repair. I don't think it really matters which you get, as long as it meets your flying style. I have co-workers who fly the 100 mph + drones and do things like this click here. if I tried that... did I mention my crash record LOL

Have fun and fly it like you stole it

That is some insane flying. Reyt enjoyed watching that :)

Well, I’ve now received & had my Mavic Air for 2 days and have about 5 or 6 flights in. MAN I am utterly and throughly impressed. The quality of this machine is mind blowing and to be honest, it’s not as loud as others have indicated. The video quality reviewed on my phone is flawless, however when I pop my SD card into the lap top, there’s some lag & skipping. Overall, I have zero complaints!

Yep, should have gone with the pro.
Its like buying something “that’ll do” and when you get it, you immediately realize that you should have added a couple more hundred dollars and gotten something that you really want.

I have the Pro, and have considered the Air, but I can't get past having to give up occusync, and batter life.

For your stated purposes, and from what I've read and seen, I think you'll be happy with the Air.

Drone envy is real, and there is never an end to it.

If you want what you have, you'll be satisfied.

I have the pro Alpine white. I like the way it looks. The MP2 and Zoom are better drones, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I'm satisfied.
I've seen a YT video of a professional drone team using a custom drone with a $50K RED camera attached. To frame the shot, they used an inspire 1. At the time the YT video was made, the Inspire 1 was the most expensive consumer drone we could buy. They dismissed it as a toy. So there's no point in pursuing 'the ultimate' as if that's all you need to be an accomplished 'film maker'.

Rather than bouncing around from drone features to drone features, consider upgrading your monitor, which plays an equally important role, but is too often dismissed in favor of getting by with the least necessary.

At the same time, this can be an expensive hobby, if you let it get away from you.

In the end, it's all about the light, and the best camera is the one you have with you.

Yes the pro should have been your route. But welcome to the family either way

I have just gone through this process and was strongly considering the same two drones for my first purchase. I really wanted the pro as I could live with the larger size and the slightly less good camera (it's pretty marginal).

I mostly convinced myself that the air was the smarter buy as it's newer and the camera is better but the noise of the thing, the slightly more toyish feel and the WiFi were hard pills to swallow.

After much deliberation...I bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and love it. I do regret not getting the Pro though as I'd love to do some more low light stuff.

I bought the zoom over the M2P because I had to have the zoom feature and love it but I still want the M2P. Have you thought about buying the 2 pro camera and switching it on your zoom when needed? I have seen several you tube videos that show and say the switch is easy and it automatically reads and operates as the M2P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569