DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First scare with Mavic Pro. What on earth happened?

WilliamG

Reactions
OK so this one was hard to search for since I don't have much to go on...

Basically, my neighbors wanted me to get a picture of them on their deck, so I happily obliged with my Mavic Pro. Connected to my iPhone X running latest DJI GO app, I sent the Mavic up, lined up the image, and hit the photo button on my iPhone X.

At that point I realized it was on panorama, and hit the button to cancel the images being taken. I went to switch the image to regular photo, and at that point I lost control of the Mavic Pro, and on the controller screen it said "JOYSTICK."

I seriously was freaking out as I had zero control over the Mavic Pro. However, the joysticks seemed to be doing a LITTLE something to the camera, as the gimbal was jiggling a little as I moved the joystick, but it was... odd.

I disconnected my iPhone, still nothing. Drone is hovering there, and the battery is draining, and still the word "JOYSTICK" on the screen of the controller. I had no choice but to reboot the controller. After rebooting the controller everything worked again. I was able to take over the Mavic Pro controls while the drone was in RTH.

I'm hoping I just hit something funky, but I can't figure out what it was, and it was a serious freak out as this issue happened at 40%, with the drone maybe 50 feet from me with no apparent control. Oy...

Someone put my mind at ease? What happened? Thanks.

Last edited:
If you had your phone connected using one of the short cables supplied with the drone and RC this is not uncommon. Try using a standard lightning cable connected to the bottom usb on the remote. Seasoned pilots find this setup more reliable.

If you had your phone connected using one of the short cables supplied with the drone and RC this is not uncommon. Try using a standard lightning cable connected to the bottom usb on the remote. Seasoned pilots find this setup more reliable.

Cable issue causing THIS phenomenon not uncommon? Source? I had unplugged my phone which did not fix it.

Reactions: Irish-apple
OK so this one was hard to search for since I don't have much to go on...

Basically, my neighbors wanted me to get a picture of them on their deck, so I happily obliged with my Mavic Pro. Connected to my iPhone X running latest DJI GO app, I sent the Mavic up, lined up the image, and hit the photo button on my iPhone X.

At that point I realized it was on panorama, and hit the button to cancel the images being taken. I went to switch the image to regular photo, and at that point I lost control of the Mavic Pro, and on the controller screen it said "JOYSTICK."

I seriously was freaking out as I had zero control over the Mavic Pro. However, the joysticks seemed to be doing a LITTLE something to the camera, as the gimbal was jiggling a little as I moved the joystick, but it was... odd.

I disconnected my iPhone, still nothing. Drone is hovering there, and the battery is draining, and still the word "JOYSTICK" on the screen of the controller. I had no choice but to reboot the controller. After rebooting the controller everything worked again. I was able to take over the Mavic Pro controls while the drone was in RTH.

I'm hoping I just hit something funky, but I can't figure out what it was, and it was a serious freak out as this issue happened at 40%, with the drone maybe 50 feet from me with no apparent control. Oy...

Someone put my mind at ease? What happened? Thanks.

just an observation from me please not a dig YOU did wrong just asking ..

ive been there before and the neighbours asked the same thing can I do a photo I obliged !

but they were asking do I always have to go through the set up and check before a flight which I didnt that day

did you go through a few checks / props / gimbal / sensors / imu and home point etc ..

your posts suggest a good pilot you are as no other crashed report yet { or I havent seen one lol }

I had this happen before and heres what happenned me ..

I rushed it .. put down the bird turned it on turned on the controller connected dji go 4 and punched it up .. within 25 feet it just started showing all kinds of errors on the screen I only seen half of them as I was keeping the eye on the bird ..I got her home but since then rookie mistake I made I was to confident .. the trousers I wore that day had to be thrown out by the way , no wash would of got that stain out lol

you made it home and im glad you did ... did you run the checks or like me get a little to confident and punch the bird up the way ?

There was a problem with your remote. Have you tried calibrating? Were you wearing rings or a watch?

This has been seen before, I think it was still in or partly in the special mode for panorama in this case.
Switching to sport mode and back would likely immediately exit the automated mode.

Reactions: BumblerBee

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98