DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First thoughts

ninja_geezer

Reactions
Ok so just put 3 batteries through the new Air 2s, so initial thoughts after coming from an Air 2.
the camera is a step up that's for sure ,the colours in auto are so true to life i could not believe it ,i used the ND8 filter today .
i shot some test footage in 4k 30 and then some in 5.4k 30 .i reduced this to 4k in editing software to compare.super sharp as well.watching it now on my 55 inch Sony UHD tv looks fantastic.
the rate of ascent and descent is a lot faster as well as it being faster in normal mode.it feels a bit more nippy ,agile im not sure if it is but seems so .1 thing i did notice as the light was dropping i could see the pulsing of the front leg led lights though this could be from the landing gear i had fitted from the air 2 .(can we turn these off if needed ) ?
the O3 connection was outstanding,i flew out to just over 1km in a built up area and never lost a single bar of signal strength.i did a couple of mastershots and with the correct setting saw not a hint of props and none at all in normal flying .
overall first impressions are very good. :)

Reactions: berwickgeek
Ok so just put 3 batteries through the new Air 2s, so initial thoughts after coming from an Air 2.
the camera is a step up that's for sure ,the colours in auto are so true to life i could not believe it ,i used the ND8 filter today .
i shot some test footage in 4k 30 and then some in 5.4k 30 .i reduced this to 4k in editing software to compare.super sharp as well.watching it now on my 55 inch Sony UHD tv looks fantastic.
the rate of ascent and descent is a lot faster as well as it being faster in normal mode.it feels a bit more nippy ,agile im not sure if it is but seems so .1 thing i did notice as the light was dropping i could see the pulsing of the front leg led lights though this could be from the landing gear i had fitted from the air 2 .(can we turn these off if needed ) ?
the O3 connection was outstanding,i flew out to just over 1km in a built up area and never lost a single bar of signal strength.i did a couple of mastershots and with the correct setting saw not a hint of props and none at all in normal flying .
Yeah man, the Air2S is a beast! Holy **** the HLG is awesome!!!

and yeah, no props with the correct setting for sure!

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Not tried the HLG yet got some dlog footage to play with,i was very surprised how good it looked in full auto.

Can we turn off the rear leg leds at all ?
the camera is so sensitive in certain low light i can see them on the video..
i did check on the front ones do turn off when recording so i know it can only be the rears.

Last edited:
Can we turn off the rear leg leds at all ?
the camera is so sensitive in certain low light i can see them on the video..
i did check on the front ones do turn off when recording so i know it can only be the rears.
I would recommend posting this on official DJI forums. Seems like it is indeed an issue if you are noticing that. The more noise you make the more likely they are to fix it quicker.

I started shooting some Ag corn planting video in 5.4K and realized I'd like to try out the tracking stuff... it's SUPPOSED to be so much better. So I switched out of 5.4 down to 4K.

#*&#%@! active track... it's still trash. If you don't know what it is look up a Case IH QuadTrac 420 tractor with a 24 head planter on it. It's the size of the death star crawling at abt 10mph. This drone should have ZERO problems tracking it. Sometimes it thought it was a car, other times it thought it was a sailboat... but I, not once, completed a successful orbit without the drone losing track. Losing golden hour light I just gave up and flew manual.

I did notice the nippiness of the agility as did you. I need to go in and adjust the stick sensitivity as I did with the old Air2.

The photos look phenomenal. The video I've seen so far knocks your socks off. The sooner DJI excretes an SDK, then things will be that much better.

I started shooting some Ag corn planting video in 5.4K and realized I'd like to try out the tracking stuff... it's SUPPOSED to be so much better. So I switched out of 5.4 down to 4K.

#*&#%@! active track... it's still trash. If you don't know what it is look up a Case IH QuadTrac 420 tractor with a 24 head planter on it. It's the size of the death star crawling at abt 10mph. This drone should have ZERO problems tracking it. Sometimes it thought it was a car, other times it thought it was a sailboat... but I, not once, completed a successful orbit without the drone losing track. Losing golden hour light I just gave up and flew manual.

I did notice the nippiness of the agility as did you. I need to go in and adjust the stick sensitivity as I did with the old Air2.

The photos look phenomenal. The video I've seen so far knocks your socks off. The sooner DJI excretes an SDK, then things will be that much better.
Yeah dude DJI’s tracking sucks ***. Skydio 2 on the other hand is the gold standard.

Yeah dude DJI’s tracking sucks ***. Skydio 2 on the other hand is the gold standard.
that's strange because ive seen some comparison videos saying its far better than the last mavics..here are just a couple ive watched,its something ive not tried on the air 2s yet to compare to my old air 2.

Yes agree if you need a tracking drone get the skydio ,for better flying dynamics ,better camera and better software get the dji. ;)

Active track is geared mainly towards people and cars, if it's anything other than that, then it's a crapshoot as far as tracking accurately goes...

Active track sucks. Bottom line. It’s why I bought the Skydio 2. For EVERYTHING else, I use one of my DJI’s or the Evo 2.

Active track sucks. Bottom line. It’s why I bought the Skydio 2. For EVERYTHING else, I use one of my DJI’s or the Evo 2.
seems to do very well at tracking i need it to ie. people and cars its brilliant in fact way way better than my air 2 was .
that is my own personal experience so far,ive no idea why you say it sucks even after watching lots of videos most say its very good,maybe you got a lemon....:D

seems to do very well at tracking i need it to ie. people and cars its brilliant in fact way way better than my air 2 was .
that is my own personal experience so far,ive no idea why you say it sucks even after watching lots of videos most say its very good,maybe you got a lemon....:D
I have a MP, M2P, Mavic Air 1,2, and S and a P4P Obsidian. None of them track very well. None of them are lemons. Trust me, once you’ve experienced the Skydio 2; it all just seems really bad.

I have a MP, M2P, Mavic Air 1,2, and S and a P4P Obsidian. None of them track very well. None of them are lemons. Trust me, once you’ve experienced the Skydio 2; it all just seems really bad.
i will stick with my Air 2 s for now it more than caters for my need at this time. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom