DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time buyer questions.

Hmt

Reactions
Hi I am looking to purchase my 13 year old son a higher quality drone soon. We have flown larger rc planes and have been around my nephews inspire some. I've been looking at the mini 2 and also the air 2. We are looking at general flying, picture and videos. I like the added sensors on the air 2 vs the mini and also the tracking. After doing more research I've read alot about connection issues with the air 2 and wondering if that problem is also with the mini. I have looked at many other modles brands etc and don't see many others that compare to either the mini or the air in either price range. I am looking for trouble free fun beginner flying that the son and I can enjoy together without having tons of issues connecting or just in general using/flying. I'd appreciate any recommendations and thoughts on what models would give us the less grief and if dji has fixed some issues or will in the future as I have read their customer services isn't the greats which is another concern. I was looking to spend around 5 or 600 but now in the 1k range with flymore air 2 thanks

@Hmt for me if i was getting a drone for a 13 year old to fly ,then i would go for the Mini 2 ,it has a great camera ,good signal stability with Occusync ,and the fact it does not have lots of sensors ,makes it better for learning to fly ,without having to just rely on them to save the drone ,which a lot of the time ,they dont
once he has become proficient at flying the drone then you can sell the Mini2 and move up to a more capable model,if that is the way you want to go
if i am being really honest all the drones in the DJI line up ,fly in a similar fashion ,when they are manually flown ,i am not a fan of auto flight modes myself ,i prefer to fly the drone hands on ,so for me having the auto modes is not a priority ,everyone who flies a drone has their own preferences for what they need from the drone they choose ,i hope you find something that suits your needs good luck

Hi I am looking to purchase my 13 year old son a higher quality drone soon. We have flown larger rc planes and have been around my nephews inspire some. I've been looking at the mini 2 and also the air 2. We are looking at general flying, picture and videos. I like the added sensors on the air 2 vs the mini and also the tracking. After doing more research I've read alot about connection issues with the air 2 and wondering if that problem is also with the mini. I have looked at many other modles brands etc and don't see many others that compare to either the mini or the air in either price range. I am looking for trouble free fun beginner flying that the son and I can enjoy together without having tons of issues connecting or just in general using/flying. I'd appreciate any recommendations and thoughts on what models would give us the less grief and if dji has fixed some issues or will in the future as I have read their customer services isn't the greats which is another concern. I was looking to spend around 5 or 600 but now in the 1k range with flymore air 2 thanks

Why not go for the mavic mini. It is the most inexpensive in the DJI line up. And the price is dropping even more. Because of the release of the mini 2......

Reactions: old man mavic
If you're not sure about photography drones in general, I'd go with the mini and fly with your phone. If you're looking for thrill, I'd at least consider a DJI drone that can be used with goggles. Not that you have to start off that way but I've found some kids get a bit bored with photographic drones over time and goggles might add a bit more dimension to flight...at least it's another avenue rather than having it sit on a shelf. I'd also think about which models work with the smart controller. Phone screens are a bit of a PITA in my opinion.

I fly fixed wing weekly or more. IMHO actually flying a fixed wing aircraft is more thrilling and similar to flying a good FPV racing drone which is very different than a stabilized camera drone. The point is to spend time with your son and keep him enthused about flying. Too bad more parents wouldn't spend more time with their kids.

But if you and your son are out for grabbing photos/videos, I agree with old man mavic about the mini2. Occusync is a good feature and the Mini2 seems like a good choice.

One of the biggest issues with DJI (IMO) is planned obsolescence and the fact that many of the drones parts are unique to each specific quad. My Mavic Pro I bought in 2017 is almost out of date. Just something to consider when making a high dollar purchase.
Good luck with your purchase and fly safe.

Yes the decision is down to either the mini 2 or the mavic air 2. After much reading forums watching videos I really liked the mini 2 and convinced it was all we needed to start but after looking more talking to some local people they thought for a little more the air 2 might be a better option. We live in the country with lots of open fields and would love to fly around our farm etc. We also make several snowmobile trips to the mountains every year and thought the tracking features might help there some on nice days. The drone will be for both of us and used together. If it was solely going to be for his use I feel the mini 2 would be everything and more he would need as of now. I tend now to look at purchases as I know the mini would be a great starter drone for either of us but for 400 more i might get a bigger more stable drone with a few extra features that would suit us better for the long run.

Reactions: old man mavic
Reactions: Tony McDrone
The Mini 2 is just plain fun, for any age. The Air 2 is a good option because of its built in obstacle avoidance and it’s very good if your primary focus is photography. If it was my
13 year old I would go with the Mini 2. Travels well and is all around fun.

We have both I stock when you are ready to pull the trigger, free shipping and free landing pad included.

Yes the decision is down to either the mini 2 or the mavic air 2. After much reading forums watching videos I really liked the mini 2 and convinced it was all we needed to start but after looking more talking to some local people they thought for a little more the air 2 might be a better option. We live in the country with lots of open fields and would love to fly around our farm etc. We also make several snowmobile trips to the mountains every year and thought the tracking features might help there some on nice days. The drone will be for both of us and used together. If it was solely going to be for his use I feel the mini 2 would be everything and more he would need as of now. I tend now to look at purchases as I know the mini would be a great starter drone for either of us but for 400 more i might get a bigger more stable drone with a few extra features that would suit us better for the long run.
Then I would go with the Mavic Air 2, it will last you years and be everything and more that you will need for video and still photography, especially since you don't seem to have a tightly limited budget. In fact it seems you have talked yourself into it anyway.

I own the Mini and recently ordered the Air 2. I love the Mini but I can't tell you how many times it has been tossed around in the wind, understandably. Half the time I want to use it, I just don't feel comfortable due to wind. If you can swing it, I would step up. The Mini is fantastic and not knocking it at all...it just has a few more limitations.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I own the Mini and recently ordered the Air 2. I love the Mini but I can't tell you how many times it has been tossed around in the wind, understandably. Half the time I want to use it, I just don't feel comfortable due to wind. If you can swing it, I would step up. The Mini is fantastic and not knocking it at all...it just has a few more limitations.
Yes, wind is why I got MA2 just weeks after getting mini2, my first drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11