DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First video, second outdoor flight

Avistu

Reactions
Site
www.viajablog.com
Not a great video to show but this is the first one I make with my Mavic Mini.

It was recorded in the coast of Asturias, Spain in an area called Gozon. The beach, in high tide, and a not-too-nice-looking church would be the main focus of interest in the video.

- List of excuses and lessons:

(a) Almost a last-minute chance to flight as we were running some errands that took longer than expected so the sun had set by the time the drone took off and I only did a 16 min flight as it was getting too dark
- Plan in advance the time it will take to reach the location (done) and arrive early (not done)

(b) Due to the rush, I forgot to check video/photo settings so it was recorded in P (not C) and HD (not even FullHD)
- Check camera settings before take off (learnt)

(c) Being only my second time flying the drone outdoors, I was more focused on the actual flying than in the cinematic perspective of the flight
- Fly more often to get better acquainted with the drone and then you can focus on the actual video part of the flight (learnt)

The video was shot on March, 11th, three days before the State of Alarm was declared in Spain and people were no longer allowed to venture outdoors except for work, buying food and force majeure. I hope there will be a second video and a third flight soon.

Thanks for watching and for your feedback. Please do not be too harsh :)

Loved the downward shot flying out over the cliff.
I’d recommend eliminating some of the duplicate appearing shots.
I find that the time around sundown often enhances the colors... here’s an example:

Loved the downward shot flying out over the cliff.
I’d recommend eliminating some of the duplicate appearing shots.
I find that the time around sundown often enhances the colors... here’s an example:

Thank you for the feedback, @Thomas B . I may have been too excited with the possibilities a dron has to record the waves so added too many shots of it :)

And definitely, that kind of light is awesome for any recording or shot!

Not a great video to show but this is the first one I make with my Mavic Mini.

It was recorded in the coast of Asturias, Spain in an area called Gozon. The beach, in high tide, and a not-too-nice-looking church would be the main focus of interest in the video.

- List of excuses and lessons:

(a) Almost a last-minute chance to flight as we were running some errands that took longer than expected so the sun had set by the time the drone took off and I only did a 16 min flight as it was getting too dark
- Plan in advance the time it will take to reach the location (done) and arrive early (not done)

(b) Due to the rush, I forgot to check video/photo settings so it was recorded in P (not C) and HD (not even FullHD)
- Check camera settings before take off (learnt)

(c) Being only my second time flying the drone outdoors, I was more focused on the actual flying than in the cinematic perspective of the flight
- Fly more often to get better acquainted with the drone and then you can focus on the actual video part of the flight (learnt)

The video was shot on March, 11th, three days before the State of Alarm was declared in Spain and people were no longer allowed to venture outdoors except for work, buying food and force majeure. I hope there will be a second video and a third flight soon.

Thanks for watching and for your feedback. Please do not be too harsh :)
I watched the entire thing. Your flying was quite good considering you are a beginner. The first thing I would comment on would be the repetitive scenes of the surf. Viewers look for a story line, or variety, not the same scene over and over. The lighting can be partially blamed on the lateness in the day but the color editing needs to show some contrast, opening of the shadows, some "pop' in the colors. I liked the music selection very much. Probably, by removing repeated scenes, you could have shortened the film to the point where viewers will stay with it a bit longer. It' really a good first effort though!

Reactions: Avistu
I watched the entire thing. Your flying was quite good considering you are a beginner. The first thing I would comment on would be the repetitive scenes of the surf. Viewers look for a story line, or variety, not the same scene over and over. The lighting can be partially blamed on the lateness in the day but the color editing needs to show some contrast, opening of the shadows, some "pop' in the colors. I liked the music selection very much. Probably, by removing repeated scenes, you could have shortened the film to the point where viewers will stay with it a bit longer. It' really a good first effort though!

Many thanks for your feedback. I agree that I was carried away by the new perspective and got overexcited about shooting the surf :) By the time this is over and we can fly again, the lessons about light and others will be well printed on my mind. When shooting from a drone, the same rules apply than with any other video, like the storytelling, keeping the interest of the viewer, the quality of the image from a technical point of view...duly noted!

Looks great! Loved the way you framed the shots where waves were meeting the shore, nice applications of the rule-of-thirds. Another nice touch was the way, the frames "clicked" with the kicks in the background music. :)

Reactions: Avistu
Looks great! Loved the way you framed the shots where waves were meeting the shore, nice applications of the rule-of-thirds. Another nice touch was the way, the frames "clicked" with the kicks in the background music. :)

Thanks for your comment, @explorer76 :) As you may have guessed, syncing copyright-free and images is not an easy, "will happen 100% of the time" task, but one loves it the times it happen. Also, I try to apply what I have learned from taking thousands of pics to drone filming, although it is still on the works :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara