DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 First video with Air 3. LOVE the 70mm lens

I've flown most DJI drones since 2016 but the 70mm camera on the Air 3 has blown me away. The clarity and perspective is stunning. Also using DLog M for the first time, which seems to work well. It helps that we had a lovely autumn day too.

Chris I have an Air 3 and love it and its performance capabilities
Your video is stunning! Do you take mini clips and put them together ? What editor do you use ? Music source !
That is the level I want to achieve well done

Chris I have an Air 3 and love it and its performance capabilities
Your video is stunning! Do you take mini clips and put them together ? What editor do you use ? Music source !
That is the level I want to achieve well done
Thank you very much for your comments! I tend to do lots of individual clips. Sometimes I have a bit of a plan and sometimes I just free form and see what angles start to look good. Don't usually shoot for more than a minute or two on an individual clip. The editor is Lumafusion on an ipad pro, although I have also used DaVinci Resolve on PC in the past (free version) which is very fully featured. The music is from a guy called Scott Buckley (He has his own website www.scottbuckley.com.au). I also used Uppbeat sometimes.
The point at which my editing improved is when I worked out the best work flow. I usually lay down the music track first and then create section breaks where the music changes. I then align the clips to the music, so you get transitions in time with the music transitions. That's probably the most important thing I can share as a tip.

Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
Think you know rather more about filming and editing than you let on. Beautiful film and very relaxing. Thanks for sharing.
That's very kind. I'm an enthusiastic amateur but getting better every time, and having fun while doing it, which is definitely the most important thing!

I've flown most DJI drones since 2016 but the 70mm camera on the Air 3 has blown me away. The clarity and perspective is stunning. Also using DLog M for the first time, which seems to work well. It helps that we had a lovely autumn day too.

Hello Chris,

Great Video!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
I see you have some experience flying drones since 2016. Just curious is this all flown free hand with the sticks or is any of this shot using Way Points?

My Air 3 is on order and can't wait to get it.

Any other tips you have or things you would suggest calling attention to as far as getting used to flying the Air 3. I'm currently flying a Mavic Mini so there will be a ton of new features for me to learn to use way beyond what the Mini Offers.

Thanks for any additional insight you may be able to provide.

Jim

Hello Chris,

Great Video!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
I see you have some experience flying drones since 2016. Just curious is this all flown free hand with the sticks or is any of this shot using Way Points?

My Air 3 is on order and can't wait to get it.

Any other tips you have or things you would suggest calling attention to as far as getting used to flying the Air 3. I'm currently flying a Mavic Mini so there will be a ton of new features for me to learn to use way beyond what the Mini Offers.

Thanks for any additional insight you may be able to provide.

Jim
If you're moving up from the Mini the first thing you'll notice is the maneuverability. This drone changes direction and ascends/descends very quickly. Personally I actually like the slow speed of the Mini drones as it suits my slower pace of video. I do 2 things to counter the turning speed of the bigger drones. 1) In the control settings I increase the yaw smoothness slightly and also soften the curve of the yaw control so I've got gentle turning near the centre of the stick and 2) I quite often fly in C mode.

A further technique I've started doing is pinching the sticks between my thumb and forefinger rather than just using my thumbs on the top. This allows finer control.

I don't use any tracking or POI. Everything is filmed manually as I like feeling the accomplishment of piloting it myself. I enjoy flying so don't want to spend any time letting the drone do it for me!

A final few things. I always use manual white balance and normally use manual camera settings for video. A good way to achieve an intermediate step before going fully manual is to use auto video settings but lock the exposure before you film a clip. I've put a shortcut for this on the C2 button (I don't use cruise control so that button is free). This allows you to get the right exposure for a clip but lock it in place so it doesn't change while shooting.

Hope all of that is helpful in some way. Not the only way of doing things for sure, but it works for me.

I loved every second of it :) Thank You, that 70mm lens sure comes in handy

Reactions: Chris Baish
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne