DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fisheye distortion

Lugh65

Reactions
Good morning everyone,

during my last flight I took some photos in smart /HDR mode and noticed a very marked fisheye effect that I had never seen before (see the picture below).

claudio-carrozzo-F4ziHdinht0-unsplash.jpg

Is this kind of distortion normal?

Is it correctable through any software? I use Lightroom but there is no tool to correct the lens distortion of the Mavic Air 2.

Has anyone already had this problem so evident?

Thank you in advance.

Claudio

This is the technical explanation ...

You mainly have 2 kinds of Perspective distortions ...extension distortion and compression distortion, or you can also call them wide-angle distortion and long-lens or telephoto distortion.

Extension or wide-angle distortion (which we see in your image) can be seen in images shot from close using a wide angle lens ... like what we usually have on our drones. Objects close to the lens appear abnormally large relative to more distant objects, and distant objects appear abnormally small and hence farther away, distances are extended.

Compression, long-lens, or telephoto distortion can be seen in images shot from a distance using a telephoto lens. Distant objects look approximately the same size but closer objects are abnormally small, and more distant objects are abnormally large, and hence the viewer cannot discern relative distances between distant objects ... distances are compressed.

No Fisheye distortion can be seen in your attached image here ...

Thanks for your answers and sorry if I expressed myself in an unclear way .

I had never noticed this effect of perspective distortion before, except in a more marginal way, and was just a bit confused.

So forgive me for the useless post ...

Good morning everyone,

during my last flight I took some photos in smart /HDR mode and noticed a very marked fisheye effect that I had never seen before (see the picture below).

View attachment 115827

Is this kind of distortion normal?

Is it correctable through any software? I use Lightroom but there is no tool to correct the lens distortion of the Mavic Air 2.

Has anyone already had this problem so evident?

Thank you in advance.

Claudio
There are two kinds of "distortion" here. The first is "perspective" distortion meaning that the end of a building farther away from the camera will appear smaller. The second is a feature of wide-angle lenses. 1) when pointing up, "walls" will slant in toward the bottom, 2) when pointing down, "walls" will slant in toward the top.

simple to fix, in a software like Lightroom, with the perspective control. Drawing to vertical lines on the buildings in the distance would straight this immediately. As pointed out, by others, you aimed down, and thus the lens being a wide angle distorted.

Camera Raw offers the same correction.

Paul C

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
simple to fix, in a software light Lightroom, with the perspective control. Drawing to vertical lines on the buildings in the distance would straight this immediately. As pointed out, by others, you aimed down, and thus the lens being a wide angle distorted.

Camera Raw offers the same correction.

Paul C
That is true. Just one word of caution... I have found that, in dramatic adjustments, the image can lose all sense of proportion and be not usable. Just be cautious.

Just reinforcing what was said before. Not a useless post at all. I had no idea about this prior to this post and now I do know about it because of the post. Thanks for asking it and thanks to those who replied.

Reactions: MA2 317 and EmsAir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98