DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixing a Bricked Battery after a failed firmware upgrade

The Camera Guy

Reactions
One of my batteries was bricked when I did the current firmware upgrade.

Calling DJI did nothing. They promised an email, which hasn't arrived and it's been 2 hours..

I found this on the Mavic DJI forum. It worked in less than 5 minutes.

Here it is

"
fans3078e08b Posted at 2017-6-10 10:28
Had exactly same issue!!
Battery was perfectly fine and error occurred during update from .700 to .800.
Why should I send it back??? Is it save to send it by post with it's middle green leds on, huh?
View full quote
Google is your friend ...

I found the solution and it's on this forum!

My Mavic and it's batteries are now OK with new firmware. Here is how I did it:

MANY, many thanks to fans4bdce353, Beginner, United Kingdom

"Thank you guys so much for your information, as I was worried about my drone with this problem as well. I have found another solution, & I believe it'll be the best one.
Just quickly how my problem happened, I somehow failed my first update through the app. Then, the battery had 2 LEDs Green flashed both around 13 seconds apart. I used my other two batteries from my combo package & they had no problem updating. So, I attempted to follow this forum article but no solution didn't work for me. It will always say "Battery must be 50%" everytime i tried to update even though it was prior to the failure. So this is my solution;

1) Please Download The DJI Assistant 2 application, which can be located in the Mavic Pro Download Section. Download your current computer manufacture.
2) Once you Log into the program, please connect your defective battery into your done (Please disconnect its Gimbal Protection & Propellers just in-case) & let it initialise.
3) When the drone is booted up, connect your controller to your computer via the USB that came with the Mavic. Then, turn it on (otherwise it'll just remain in a charging state).
4) Your computer will install its relevant drivers automatically (Leave it for 1 minute).
5) Then, you will get an option to select your drone. Please do so!
6) A list will come up with all current Firmware releases from DJI, select the most up-to-date firmware & click "refresh".
7) Let the program do it's business downloading & installing. At the very end your drone will reboot along with your controller. Please don't worry if you lose connection to the program it'll return by itself!

And that was me fixed, I really hope this helps you guys! And, from now on i'll be using the computer software instead of my app! Happy flying!"

I hope this helps others. Perhaps the moderators might want to make this a sticky

I had the same issue, and posted it here, as have many others. Maybe a section for frequent issues would be helpful. Of course, nobody would agree on the best fix, but anyway...

Glad you got it fixed.

Here's the video that explains the fix you describe:

I bought a new battery today and had to do the upgrade. I did it as described above, and once again the battery got bricked. Took acsecond try to make it work.

DJI needs to improve their testing before release

I bought a new battery today and had to do the upgrade. I did it as described above, and once again the battery got bricked. Took acsecond try to make it work.

DJI needs to improve their testing before release

Were you updating on a computer or through your phone? I mean no offense but the only time I've had this problem was out in the field using my phone. If I was at home on wifi, it worked okay with my phone and of course, hard wired to my computer it worked perfectly. I have a top of the line TRi-Band AC router with 150mps internet, connected to a Samsung S8+ and I still plugged it in to update. It's a large packet of data to transfer OTA and depending on your phone, carrier, router, internet speed, number of devices, conditions, etc... Well, as far as I can tell, this only happens OTA and not hardwired. The jury is still out using in home wifi but I wouldn't even try it using cell data. Too many variables. BTW unless you have a pretty good router with Beamforming, it starts and stops transmitting data when there are more than one devices connected. Kind of like divvying up the loot after a heist, "one for you, one for me, one for Mugsy, one for me, one for Lefty, one for me..."

My issue occurred when the battery fell below 50% during the firmware upgrade via phone. By the time the firmware was downloaded, battery was too low.

My issue occurred when the battery fell below 50% during the firmware upgrade via phone. By the time the firmware was downloaded, battery was too low.

Yea that's a double whammy! Hopefully, you got it fixed!

Thanks, worked for me, think I will only use the assistant from now on, updating via the controller seems problematic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots