DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flickery footage when panning using rudder

read79

Reactions
is this normal , maybe different camera settings needed , or bad technique. when i pan around using rudder only the footage is really bad. if i fly left to right forward or back it is perfect. even in tripod mode turning really slow the footage is like this. any help would be great.
thanks

can't seem to upload the video at the moment.will keep trying

nope:

"Sorry, we couldn’t find that page"

I'm interested as well, as I have looked at some of my footage and it does the same sometimes.

Can you post up your record settings, and whatever else might be relevant please? It might help with a fix.

Also, is this the footage from the mobile device or the SD card from the drone?

footage from sd card from drone.as far as settiings goes , i have nearly changed all of them trying to figure it. full manual settings , auto settings, default settings , does it all the time. have watched youtube tutorials that goe through gimble settings ect and tried them but it still does it. has to be a problem with the camera itself i think.

Reactions: Odom1957
I think the shutter speed was about 60. From what I read you need to be as close to double the frame rate as you can depending on filter and other settings.my frame rate is 4K 24fps. Does that sound right.

I think the shutter speed was about 60. From what I read you need to be as close to double the frame rate as you can depending on filter and other settings.my frame rate is 4K 24fps. Does that sound right.
If you're shooting at 24fps, set your shutter speed to 1/50, or even a bit lower, in order to induce some motion blur. This is why ND filters are so useful!

How shutter speeds work when shooting video - The Video Mode

Last edited:
I just went out and shot some video with mine, and it seems that the jittery stuff when panning is on mine also.

At >500' subject distance, panning left/right in cinematic mode at 1/30-1/60 I had to be Extremely gentle with the stick.

Without panning, I was able to travel at 20mph, >500' distance, and a 45° angle and get smooth footage.

So...I am going to play with the yaw settings in cinematic mode to see how slow I need to set it to keep the footage smooth.

I don't know what everyone else does, but this is what I am going to try tomorrow.

Reactions: 4wd
I am going to setup a waypoint mission and shoot at different shutter speeds to compare the footage tomorrow.

I'll probably do everything in 720@30fps in 1/30, 1/60, 1/120, 1/240

I'll adjust the ISO to keep the footage similar in exposure so I can see the difference.

Reactions: Prospero
looking forward to how you go odom1957. i have tried to get rid of it but nothing i try works. i have the nd filters and have tried all of them , different settings ect ect. i am sure the first couple of flights i did on auto default settings it never did it, but now if i go back to the standard settings ( or any others ) it does it. i changed different types of sd cards too. mine is only with panning too. i can fly sideways at full speed , or forward or back , and the footage stays completely smooth.

I think tripod mode is probably helpful reducing judder.

Also this article has some good tips:

Panning Best Practices

Great article prospero. I have used tripod mode but I think I really need to slow the panning down. I have seen a lot of footage using the same drones and there footage is really smooth even when panning fast. There must be some other techniques and setting combinations that work as well. Will keep trying.

Great article prospero. I have used tripod mode but I think I really need to slow the panning down. I have seen a lot of footage using the same drones and there footage is really smooth even when panning fast. There must be some other techniques and setting combinations that work as well. Will keep trying.
Do you have some links to some of that fast panning/smooth footage?

The weather here has been uncooperative, but I managed to get in a short flight this afternoon.

This was tripod mode, 4k 30fps, combined pan and forward flight. Note there is some slight judder at a few places.

The clouds began moving in again, so I only had time for the one flight. I'll try different settings and repeat the flight as soon as weather and time permits

i will try and find he footage for you again. it was in some of the youtube tutorials that was focusing on camera settings i think but i noticed the quality of the panning footage was perfect. with mine it is better when you are flying forward as you are in your footage, that looks pretty good. if i am stationary and just pan around , even if its a slow pan , the judder really shows up. maybe its just a technique thing. if i can't sort it soon i am going to send it back and get them to check it out to make sure.

Panning that slow, it should not jump like that. It appears as though you are dropping frames.

What specific SD card are you using? Or tried?

When Panning with both the Mavic PP and Phantom P4 Pro I get the same issue. Comes and goes more so at 4K.

I have tried different cards, no effect, still on 32GB Scandisk cards, high speed.
Resetting camera, refreshing firmware, etc.

Net, panning seems to give jumpy footage, especially on a 180 or so long pan. Longer the pan, more often the problem.

Only DJI I have that won’t do it is the Spark, which is interesting. Actually the Spark’s only issue besides no 4K, which is not an issue for me, is the built in noise reduction. Thus in the shadows the image really disenegrates due to noise reduction being applied. In good light, fine.

I also don’t think that tripod mode has any effect, on the recording, it just slows down the motion, and you can control that with stick settings.

Paul C

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura