DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Review

nolankoop

Reactions
I want to do my flight review at a school park that is in G airspace, I'm just not sure if I would fail the review if people showed up to the park where I was flying because I would technically be flying too close to them under the Basic license rules. Also would I need permission from the school or can I just fly there since it's a public area?

Thanks!

Hi nolankoop. I’m not sure what you mean by doing a flight review. What drone are you flying? If it’s a sub 250 gram drone, no licensing or review is needed. If you’ve got the basic RPAS license then just the 24 month recurrent training is required. Check the links I’ve added here to see the requirements.

Also this one from the TC AIM

Lots of info for you in those two documents.
Denis

Hi nolankoop. I’m not sure what you mean by doing a flight review. What drone are you flying? If it’s a sub 250 gram drone, no licensing or review is needed. If you’ve got the basic RPAS license then just the 24 month recurrent training is required. Check the links I’ve added here to see the requirements.

Also this one from the TC AIM

Lots of info for you in those two documents.
Denis
I've got the mavic pro 2! I'm doing an in person flight review so I can get my advanced license.

I had mine done and was in G space and in a Park, when doing your flight review you can ask the flight reviewer to act as your spotter and watch for people just showing up and to stay clear while you perform your flight review, you can not fly during school hours obviously but weekend and weeknight should be ok, double check you are in a G zone and make note of ALL airports and directions, normally the reviewer has a location they like to test you at, ask them and get all your information on line for the site survey, relax and don't get to stressed out!

Reactions: nolankoop
I had mine done and was in G space and in a Park, when doing your flight review you can ask the flight reviewer to act as your spotter and watch for people just showing up and to stay clear while you perform your flight review, you can not fly during school hours obviously but weekend and weeknight should be ok, double check you are in a G zone and make note of ALL airports and directions, normally the reviewer has a location they like to test you at, ask them and get all your information on line for the site survey, relax and don't get to stressed out!
Hi Garald,

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I thought we are not allow to fly in Parks? could you share which park you where at?

when it come to flying safe there are no dumb questions ;-) , Lackies Bush in Barrie, Class "G" Airspace,
Looking to fly over Toronto Parks require the pilot in command (PIC) to have an Flight Authorization and in order to get that you need to be Certified as an Advance Pilot, You are correct you are NOT allowed to Take off or Land in Toronto Parks unless authorized, The majority of parks located in Toronto are in restricted air space as well, anyone looking to get their advance certificate should take the extra time and travel outside of control zones for training and certification, there are a lot of Flight Reviewers listed, reach out to one of them and they will assist you in getting your Advance Certificate

Thank you! I have another question. It says we need to "properly identify airspace, obstructions, and terrain features" How do we identify terrain features? Will this actually be on the test. Thanks

Flight Reviewers have a check list to go through and it’s different with each one but yes you will be required to do a survey of the area (Google Earth is your friend here) they are interested in seeing if you can spot hazards like trees, cell towers, hydro wires and anything else that would make flying a drone dangerous, terrain is again done with Google Earth and they won’t hold to you exact measurements so don’t worry, air space is done on line and there are a lot of options to choose from (WhereToFly Map Only View for iOS) and you can also go to Dons Drone you tube channel and he has a wealth of information videos to guide you through. I am a huge fan of his Drone Pilot Canada app ( $50 CAD) Well worth the price, you can get a LOT of information from this app (Airspace, emergency numbers, flight authorization and more) let me know if your have any other questions, you can DM me as well
Gerald

I have done a number of Flight Reviews. Attached is a document I have used for the non-Corporate ones that will give you some idea of what is being looked at - good luck.

Attachments

• Flight Review Form.pdf
    153.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi Garald,

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I thought we are not allow to fly in Parks? could you share which park you where at?

You are allowed to fly anywhere where you have permission. Why don't you just ask your flight reviewer where they would like to do it and before the review, ask them if you can proceed as if you have permission? Then the onus is on them. My reviewer set the location and specifically told me I may proceed as if I have permission.

Thank you! I have another question. It says we need to "properly identify airspace, obstructions, and terrain features" How do we identify terrain features? Will this actually be on the test. Thanks

It's been a few months but you're supposed to prepare a site survey of some type. I visited the location before the review and marked down everything in the area including estimated heights of main obstacles.

I have done a number of Flight Reviews. Attached is a document I have used for the non-Corporate ones that will give you some idea of what is being looked at - good luck.

I'm curious why you say "non-corporate". As far as I know, the rules are no different for corporate or private pilots, do you change your flight review requirements if someone says they're doing it for corporate reasons?

I'm curious why you say "non-corporate". As far as I know, the rules are no different for corporate or private pilots, do you change your flight review requirements if someone says they're doing it for corporate reasons?

Good question. I am the flight reviewer for the "company" I work for and we have an in-house Flight Review form with our logo and other company specific information on it. I have done several flight reviews for pilots outside of the company and use the generic form that I posted for those. There is no significant difference in what is actually covered on both forms.

Reactions: pawnie

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000