DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FLIR option for M2E?

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Could this be a possible release for the FLIR camera for this aircraft on the 17th?
There has been speculation and rumors.
247DC77A-8E4C-416D-A0EA-61CB551DC1A4.jpeg

DJI BETTER have a pan and tilt if it's going to be a useful piece of kit. I've tried the BOSON 320 with my Mavic and P4P a fixed mount just does not cut it. Check out the video differences here . . Fixed mount on the Mavic is OK in some circumstances but generally little value most of the time because the airframe is not stable while maneuvering.Bird in the hand800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Could this be a possible release for the FLIR camera for this aircraft on the 17th?
There has been speculation and rumors.
View attachment 55875
DJI Better have a stabilized gimble if they expect to make it useful. I've tried BOSON 320 fix mounted on the Mavic and it's only really useful while hovering. If you have to reposition to get the target in frame properly or follow something moving or try to search for something, it's all over the place and easily loses the target when doing so. Stabilization in at least 2 axis is essential. Even so for some applications it can work.
Bird in the hand800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
DJI Better have a stabilized gimble if they expect to make it useful. I've tried BOSON 320 fix mounted on the Mavic and it's only really useful while hovering. If you have to reposition to get the target in frame properly or follow something moving or try to search for something, it's all over the place and easily loses the target when doing so. Stabilization in at least 2 axis is essential. Even so for some applications it can work.
View attachment 55939
This would certainly be interesting, Three axis would definitely take care of stabilization.
mavic2Eflir.jpg

No reason why they can't do that ,. . .but then finding your way around with only IR might be weird. . .I think they should mount the second gimble on top . . .slaved to the main camera. . . that would be AWESOME!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
No reason why they can't do that ,. . .but then finding your way around with only IR might be weird. . .I think they should mount the second gimble on top . . .slaved to the main camera. . . that would be AWESONE!
You did not notice the secondary color camera attached to the bottom.
It is slaved. Even so, I expect a complete new camera with this setup and possibly infrared lighting.

Yea saw that... did not think it was separate slaved gimbal.. how did you balance it... found it tough to do on the P4P I modified but it had some limited function. How is it integrated with existing gimbal?

Yea saw that... did not think it was separate slaved gimbal.. how did you balance it... found it tough to do on the P4P I modified but it had some limited function. How is it integrated with existing gimbal?
Lets just see what the M2 Enterprise has in store for us next. You won’t be disappointed!

9SKKej8.jpg

I looked close and figured out what's in the background.

If you get a moment, see my thread about the M2E Flir camera. This is an early prototype of our (Drone Doctor UK) Thermal Mavic 2. Integrating onto the existing gimbal is easy, the hardest part is making everything fit and balance as you say.

The version seen here uses a Mavic 2 Zoom gimbal for cost reasons. The Pro gimbal is a bit larger, and it may be possible to use the Zoom camera module *and* a Boson 320 together on the Pro gimbal. If we achieve that then it will be an incredibly useful tool.

Obviously it's very possible that our project will end up stillborn if DJI's solution is good, and knowing DJI it should be. However, as mentioned in my analysis thread, I believe there is a chance that DJI have based their camera on the Flir One, in which case it'll be very very poor for aerial use. There are two possible reasons why they would have done this:

1. All of DJI's existing thermal cameras are based on existing Flir products and the only difference between the Flir camera and the DJI version is that the DJI version is on a gimbal that integrates with a DJI drone. The XT is a Flir Tau on a DJI gimbal and the XT2 is a Flir Duo Pro R on a DJI gimbal.

2. If they use a Boson 320 (even more so for the 640) then that would be such a good solution that it will steal sales from the M210/XT2 range.

It's pointless speculating right now as we're going to find out tomorrow, however my summary is this:

If DJI have developed a Mavic 2 solution using a Flir Boson sensor then this is going to be an absolute game changer. Simple as that. Nothing else will come close in terms of usability and performance.

However, if they have used a Flir Lepton, the thing will work fine but it will really, really struggle to detect targets at any useful distance and it will be rubbish at night time, since the low resolution sensors rely on MSX enhancement, which doesn't work very well at night.

If they've gone for the Lepton, as I believe they have, we will continue development of ours which will be ready for sale in Jan-Feb and will retail around 4500GBP + any taxes.

Wow thanks for that detail... very useful.. I originally went with BOSON320 just for cost while experimenting... would agree a 640 BOSON would be an excellent system for so many reasons you already know. If can talk further please contact through inskyphoto contact page and drop me your intact info... have other ideas I’d like to explore... or we can just wait and see what DJI does... may not be long

Good news!
Bill the Drone Reviewer finds leaked info on new M2E Dual release.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929