DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly a drone in an area that Drone Assist marks as 'High Risk'?

RotatingBirds

Reactions
A couple of years ago I asked a number of questions about flying a drone at my location and received some very helpful answers here, however I eventually ditched the idea of getting a drone for various reasons.

Now I'm thinking about it again and bearing in mind that there have been changes to drone laws of late I'm looking into flying in my area again.

So, Drone Assist puts me in a 'High Risk' area, yet I've download the DJI Go 4 app to check on that too and it doesn't indicate any limits at all where I live. The closest restricted area is about four miles from me where there is a very small airfield.

As for Drone Assist, it states for my location (which is only about 1 mile just inside the red circle):

AIRSPACE (DANGER AREA)

SUMMARY

Red zones are regulated high-risk area and operation of your drone may be hazardous or prohibited

This leads to my first question - how do I know if flying a drone at my location is prohibited?

And what is the hazard to? Interference to my drone from HIRTA I assume? (NoFlyDrone puts me in a 'Danger Area'/HIRTA, hence the question)

Drone Assist continues:

VERTICAL LIMITS

This piece of airspace is in effect between Surface and 12000 ft MSL

DANGER AREA

Activities within this are dangerous to the flight of aircraft may exist at specific times
(then there's a lot of very generic text)

I know that the RAF do training in the area from time to time and I sometimes see a jet fly nearby, even hear them in the far distance at times (I've never seen one fly over my property though in the 20 years that I've lived here). There's also a weapons testing range, etc some miles away.

AIRSPACE ACTIVATION SCHEDULE

Listed are only weekday times - first a list between 09:00 (UTC) to 16:00 (UTC) and then another list of 08:00 (UTC) to 16:00 (UTC)
I don't know why there are two lists which overlap

I'm not though in a Flight Restricted Zone, although there is the northern boundary of one about half a mile to the south of me.

So, based on all of the above, can I fly a drone at my property? Is there any governing or local body that I can contact to check if I can fly a drone or not, maybe at certain times for example?

I would write to the CAA and get info from them, ditto the RAF, army and Navy. I recollect seeing mention of RAF telephone numbers that you can call but I'd favour written (email?) communication over verbal communication. From the number of people who gather at the Mach Loop I guess there is some way of checking flight schedules.

Thanks - I'm emailed the CAA some weeks ago (twice!) but never received a reply. I'll look into your other suggestions.

There are loads of Mach Loop videos on youtube, perhaps ask some of the posters of those videos.

Posted this in an old thread. Have copied into this more recent one, incase it’s more appropriate here.
“Hi there,
Just been reading through this thread as I’m thinking of buying a drone, mostly photography/film making, for fun. Probably going to get the DJI mini 3 pro…incase it makes a difference. My Dad is RC made and belongs to a club with a field about 30 miles from me so I’ll have somewhere to practice and learn with lots of experienced flyers. What I wanted to ask is, as I live in area that is smack bang in the middle of an ATZ (Pembrey Airport- base for Dyfed-Powys Police helicopter) and Pembrey Danger Zone (Chinook’s, Eurofighters, Tornadoes, Hawks, Hercules and lots of live fire and general low level shenanigans) will I still be able to fly here? Nothing suggests NFZ (according to Drone Assist), is it that I will need to check, via the contact numbers for these areas the times/days when it is safe to do so? Will the DJI be restricted in this area by its program? I realise this thread is quite old so apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong place, just seemed as though people were talking sense on here. Sorry for long post too. Stu”

Technically Pembrey hasn't got a NFZ as its not a controlled airport (and the most it gets are helicopters popping in to refuel) but as you say it is active quite a lot as its part of a bombing range and the beach there is used for tactical landings of transport aircraft.
The active times and exercises are usually NOTAMd. The danger area D118 also posts its active times and quite often this will blend in to Pendine next door.
Ultimately you can try to ring the tower and ask and in particular, its unlikely to have anything active at all on weekends.

If D118 is active or a NOTAM for beach landings i'd say avoid flying. This is one area where yes you can fly but you really do need to check bulletins first.

C130_1050.jpg

C130_695.jpg

You'd be somewhat unpopular flying here during these times...Although there's no issue going for a walk on the beach.
A courtesy call to the contact numbers prior to flying would be appreciated (although you might not always get an answer). The people there are helpful enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf