DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly App 1.1.10

Hey,
I took the mini out with the 1.1.9 software ( on android and 1.1.10 isnt showing up yet for me) I wanted to see how far i could go before i saw the 1st lag or freeze up. I made it almost 3,00ft. i know there could be tons of factors but when the new update shows ill do the same test. I can almost go to 5300 and then i would RTH but i just wanted to see the 1st break up distance

Attachments

• 121704489_10223833094638086_4647680045593798164_o.jpg
    121704489_10223833094638086_4647680045593798164_o.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 26
UPDATE: Was able to range test the new MM yesterday on both Fly app versions (v1.1.6=iPadMini5 and v1.1.10=iPhone7) and found absolutely no difference in range performance. The flights were practically identical from what I can tell, signal and fpv started glitching as I cleared 3k ft then got very spotty communication around 5100ft bad enough that I didn’t want to rely on total loss of communication to trigger RTH on my straight out of the box new bird. The flights were done in an open field where I’ve been able to reach over 18k ft with my Air2. Thought maybe I could try another range test with Fly v1.1.10 after doing a f/w update on the Mini but turns out it came straight out of the box already with the latest f/w. The results were kinda expected but I had some glimmer of hope. My thoughts on why some people have reported range increases after the recent Fly v1.1.10 app update (if true) is maybe the range performance bump is happening on only CE models. It’s still a very nice tiny bird to have, now just gotta wait for Litchi to sort out the Waypoints issues

Reactions: OneQuickSix
There are also reports from others saying they see no difference in range. Also, it’s the RC which does the transmission, not the app. You can happily fly the drone without using the app so unless the app somehow unlocks some deliberately crippled feature in the RC, I still can’t see how they could double the range with just an app update - there’s been no associated RC firmware update. Some improvement, perhaps, but a doubling?
However if you do fly without the app, then the firmware limits your range and altitude considerably for safety. It's a feature added to the DJI line a few years ago.

Otherwise I agree. It would be far fetched for an app update alone to increase range without there also being a firmware update. That's like saying an update to the app that manages my garage door makes it open and close faster.

Hey,
I took the mini out with the 1.1.9 software ( on android and 1.1.10 isnt showing up yet for me) I wanted to see how far i could go before i saw the 1st lag or freeze up. I made it almost 3,00ft. i know there could be tons of factors but when the new update shows ill do the same test. I can almost go to 5300 and then i would RTH but i just wanted to see the 1st break up distance
I made it 6090 before I got super glitchy and ill test as well when the new update hits me
dec8166a55d373f45d9b42f2cbb6444c.jpg

Saw this vid today. What do you think? Was it because of the open non contested WiFi area that he tested in? Said to be exceeding old range specs since the 1.1.10 update?
The app can in fact effect the controller FW. Even the Aircraft real time. On the fly! ?
You don’t always need a Hardware FW update!

Reactions: Thomas B
The FCC Mini already has a claimed "Max Transmission Distance" of 4000m. If he had broken 4000m with no loss of video feed then for certain this would be an upgrade.

So far, just for ios. Android should be following soon.
Now available for Android on the DJI Download page - just updated my SC.

Saw this vid today. What do you think? Was it because of the open non contested WiFi area that he tested in? Said to be exceeding old range specs since the 1.1.10 update?
The app can in fact effect the controller FW. Even the Aircraft real time. On the fly! ?
You don’t always need a Hardware FW update!

But, as I’ve asked on several occasions, if this can be done without changing the transmitted power (which is restricted by law in many countries), why is DJI not publicising such an impressive new feature? Significantly increasing the range through just an app update would really be something to shout about. I would have expected this to be the first item in the update notes but there’s no mention of any range improvements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+