DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly App Compass suddenly wrong

This statement is just nonsense.
Sony Xperia Z4, Nokia N1, Huawei MediapPad M6, just to name a few. (GadgetGuy huh? Hmmm.)
Glad there are some! I couldn't find any when I wanted one. Had to buy a cellular Android tablet. Not an Android fan, but Autel couldn't get their app to work on iPads at the time. For DJI, never had a problem with iPads. DJI's Android programmers have always been second string! P4P+ was a mess. CS was a disaster. I won't buy anything Android to control anything DJI.

Glad there are some! I couldn't find any when I wanted one.
It's more than just some.
As far as I've been able to work out, that one weird Samsung tablet is the only Android device that doesn't have a compass.

It's more than just some.
As far as I've been able to work out, that one weird Samsung tablet is the only Android device that doesn't have a compass.
Just my bad luck on purchasing the one and only, then! ?
Unlike Apple, Android tablet manufacturers don't list the presence or absence of a compass in the specs. The only ones I could find where it was known to contain a compass were cellular Android tablets. This was 16 months ago, and I haven't revisited the topic until now.

Just my bad luck on purchasing the one and only, then! ?
Unlike Apple, Android tablet manufacturers don't list the presence or absence of a compass in the specs. The only ones I could find where it was known to contain a compass were cellular Android tablets. This was 16 months ago, and I haven't revisited the topic until now.
Sometimes the manufacturer's details are lacking.
I had trouble earlier today finding out how much RAM one iPad model had.

I find this website is very good for those sort of details.
It lists the sensors down near the bottom under "Features" and GPS in its own heading

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Sometimes the manufacturer's details are lacking.
I had trouble earlier today finding out how much RAM one iPad model had.

I find this website is very good for those sort of details.
It lists the sensors down near the bottom under "Features" and GPS in its own heading
Thanks! That website's info would have really helped me 16 months ago! ?

Sounds like I'm not the only one then experiencing this strange issue. Mostly becomes an issue if for some reason you lose sight of the unit. It's nice being able to look down and see that it is for example, "off to the left where I thought it was but facing right and if I rotate it a little this way or that I can easily bring it back in sight from behind that tree". I hope to try some ideas today. Otherwise hope DJI finds a fix.

Mavic Air 2. Has been fine for the past month. However, I noticed yesterday that the compass pointed generally the opposite of the way that the aircraft was pointed. Then I also realized that it was showing the aircraft behind me when it was in front of me. I've calibrated the compass and the IMU. After powering down and moving to a different area, it worked correctly again. Then today went to the same area that worked last night and it was backwards again. Wondering if anyone may know why this is happening? Thanks in advance.
I had ZERO issues with my first mavic air 2. Had a crash and purchased a replacement. Version 1.1.5 came out while waiting on the replacement drone. Once updating to 1.1.5 and connecting the new bird it hasn't worked since. Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, calibrated compass, nothing has worked. I had not changed any settings on my phone between birds and have checked that all gps permissions are still allowed. I think its 1.1.5

Reactions: ScottsMA2
So I tried calibrating my mobile phone compass twice and the MA2 compass twice. It didn't change the results. The directional and positional arrows/loc are still in error. I'll upload some screen shots. Haven't done that before on this forum so hopefully it'll work. But I'll describe them in the order I'm uploading and explain more if needed.

In the first picture, I'm standing behind the unit about 15' and it is facing straight away from me. Note that it shows it's behind me and not facing away.

In the second picture, I've done as some have suggested and rotated the phone in the RC and while it does show it in front of me, it's still pointing in the wrong direction.

In the third shot, the aircraft is directly in front of me, but it shows that it is off to my right . HOWEVER, the directional arrow IS CORRECT pointing away from me.

In the fourth shot, is is again, directly in front of me, but showing off to the right. BUT the directional arrow is CORRECT in this case.

In the fifth shot, the unit is off to my right and the arrow is "sort of right".

In case thes pics are out of order, the last three digits go 802, 708,829,933, 108.

Also, I flew the unit out away from me and behind me and there was no diff so I took these shots with the unit withing approx 50' of myself.

And from when I got the unit until around the end of last week or so, (I noticed it a day or two ago, but it could have been sooner), it has worked fine. So, I'm thinking something happened with the latest software update. Other info is that my mobile is a Motorola Moto Z4 and has worked fine from day one. No metal structures around. A couple of parked cars. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-112802.png
    Screenshot_20200629-112802.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200629-112708.png
    Screenshot_20200629-112708.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200629-113829.png
    Screenshot_20200629-113829.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200629-113933.png
    Screenshot_20200629-113933.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200629-114108.png
    Screenshot_20200629-114108.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
So here is my update so far. It appears that the issue pertains to the mobile compass calibration and headings. After researching issues with Android system compass settings I found that my compass was reporting things "backwards" . The recommended remedy for this would be to open Google Maps, click on the blue dot representing "you". Then touch calibrate compass in the lower left. HOWEVER, doing that (as I had done several times before) did not resolve the issue many times. I found I would have to do that repeatedly and then compare it to a known location that I was in or compare it to what I saw around me and what was indicated on the map. Sometimes it would take several tries and then it would literally swing the map around 180 to the correct direction. I then did some more digging on forums and Google and found people had reported some success by using an app called GPS status. It basically keeps the GPS active and when another app calls for GPS and compass settings, they are ready to go or it quickly gets it ready. So, I've had that app for two days now and so far when I open Google Maps it is showing the correct compass direction and map orientation. And, the Fly App's positional location and aircraft camera end directional arrow is pointing much more accurately, albeit, sometimes off by 5 or 10 degrees. But usually correct. I'll keep trying this, but wanted to report back as soon as I discovered this. Hope it helps.

It might be the magnets in the controller affecting the compass in the screen. The joysticks use magnets and coils to detect stick movement. Try mounting the screen 180° from the position you are using.

This is kind of conjecture and pertains to a limited window is pilots I Imagine.

I got the “Red Segmented Circle“ compass error/confusion on my MA2 using an iPhone 11Pro - Leather case - with no other modifications OFTEN. Not always, but often. This was when the phone was mounted with the phone plug on the pilot‘s right side. It seemed more accessible to the USB C/Lightning cord in that orientation and that is just what I did from day one.

I have now been using the above suggestion and mounted the phone 180 degrees rotated for the past 2 days. The cable still reaches the phone fine but is not as easy of a fit. I just slide the phone about 1/4 inch or more to the right and it fits better. It’s not really centered but close enough.

I have not gotten the Red Segmented Circle since then.

Again. This is just a “hmmmmmm might be it” fix and not at all proven so settle down.

Happy Flying.

###EDITED###

OK......So I DID get the red circle of doom agin even with the new placement. But it was for just a second or two vs minutes...lol. So, the vagueness continues

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH