DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly app position indicator not working with Smart Controller

pietdv

Reactions
I have recently purchased a Smart Controller to use with my Mavic Air2. All is well, however the aircraft position indicator (bottom centre of the screen) in the Fly app is not indicating the correct position of the aircraft, at times warning that the Mavic is behind me when it's right in front. The indication is perfectly normal when the aircraft is linked to the original controller using the iPhone Fly app.

I've done IMU and Compass calibrations on the aircraft and new Smart Controller. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
Have you done a compass calibration on the SC itself ?

1601438819995.png

I have recently purchased a Smart Controller to use with my Mavic Air2. All is well, however the aircraft position indicator (bottom centre of the screen) in the Fly app is not indicating the correct position of the aircraft, at times warning that the Mavic is behind me when it's right in front. The indication is perfectly normal when the aircraft is linked to the original controller using the iPhone Fly app.

I've done IMU and Compass calibrations on the aircraft and new Smart Controller. Anyone else experiencing this?
I have the same problem, still not resolved
Any possible fix?

I have the same problem, still not resolved
Any possible fix?
No, there is no fix and I've been asked to wait as maybe this issue will be resolved in a future update to the Fly app. I'm not prepared to wait around flying in the dark so I'm thinking of returning the SC to the retailer as "not fit for purpose".

I have the exact same issue and so does a friend of mine. Updated the most current version of the fly app, calibrated compass on smart controller and Air 2 and did an IMU calibration also. Icon always shows drone facing away from me and usually behind me or to the side at 90 degrees.

Also when you updated the smart controller did you get the most current version of the fly app installed? I had the old version which doesn't show the photos left or mins left. I'm surprised the firmware update that installed the fly app would install an older version.

Yes, the latest version was installed
Its strange because when I did the SC update it installed the previous fly version. The one that doesn't show the remaining photo count. Very strange. I had to download and install the newer version. I did more tests last night and my compass is still way off. Always shows behind me and the arrow facing the wrong direction.

I really wish they’d fix this. It’s like flying blind at times. I even switch back to my stock controller and it’s doing the samething. But it wasn’t unti I started using the SC with my MA 2.

After three months and numerous software and firmware updates, this is still not fixed!
This your first DJI? :p They haven't even had a chance to tweak the firmware and beta for a new release/fix they only have had one firmware for the SC to allow use for the MA2 and the SC software/firmware is it's own, not the same as Android releases for Fly APP or even Go 4.... DJI as a company did a major reduction in Employees/Engineers and restructuring recently.. I am impressed they even got the SC firmware out so quick. I have never used that "radar" in 5 years of flying DJI as I see no need for it as I know where my drone is, but to each there own. Give it a bit guys, if you can...they will fix it, the same problem was on the Mavic Mini as well on release. It's not the end all feature is it? YMMV I guess....fly safe.

Updated everything but what a convoluted compass implementation - that's if you can find it! May get to like it and at least so far, it seems to work accurately with my SC

Not sure how it works. Wish they would give you an idea of what’s what.

Not sure how it works. Wish they would give you an idea of what’s what.
You can't see what it does if the SC is right next to the AC. I had to put my MA2 in the air and move it about 10 meters away from me and then just let it hover while I figured out how to change to the different displays. You can use the "radar" display which puts the AC at the perimeter of a circle and home at the center or a display that puts the AC center with home on the circle.

The AC is represented as a triangle showing what direction it's pointing and there are lines showing the AC's attitude. Compared to the useless position indicator previously on the SC it's awesome. I found it to be very accurate and it gave me a new degree of confidence knowing where the AC was when I was flying it at the fringe of VLOS.

Reactions: s2seyecle
In Go the AC is at the perimeter which i feel is more useful (larger too) but in Fly the AC is at the center. Thats fine for orienting the AC to point back to you but not so much you facing it when you want to maximize signal. Have you found a way to switch positions between AC, HP and RC on the "radar" in the Fly app so that it shows like in Go?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore