DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly away (almost)

cook85

Reactions
I was flying this morning to get pics of the sunrise. I was at 390 feet, took some pictures for about 6 minutes. Started coming straight down to land and the drone takes off as fast as it would go on it's own. I had no control over it whatsoever. It flew about 800 feet from me but I could still see it. It finally stopped in it's tracks and I had control again. Flew it back and landed. Anybody else ever have that problem or does anyone have any idea what happened? I still had camera view and could control the dial but the sticks did nothing. The straight line was the only move I made after I finally got control, other than straight up from takeoff.

Attachments

• 20210205_114646.jpg
    20210205_114646.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 75
Which model of drone were you flying?

Looks like it tried to toilet bowl then snapped out of it.
A 800Ft toilet bowl effect?? They generally start small and get bigger, this one needs logs submitted to the crew here.

A 800Ft toilet bowl effect?? They generally start small and get bigger, this one needs logs submitted to the crew here.
I'm certainly no expert. It's the near perfect semi circle that made me take an uneducated guess.

I was flying this morning to get pics of the sunrise. I was at 390 feet, took some pictures for about 6 minutes. Started coming straight down to land and the drone takes off as fast as it would go on it's own. I had no control over it whatsoever. It flew about 800 feet from me but I could still see it. It finally stopped in it's tracks and I had control again. Flew it back and landed. Anybody else ever have that problem or does anyone have any idea what happened? I still had camera view and could control the dial but the sticks did nothing. The straight line was the only move I made after I finally got control, other than straight up from takeoff.
This is a problem, at what point do you think to move to camera tilt, when you have no stick input? Your first rational thought after stick input was to hit RTH. Saying that you had gimbal control denotes that you indeed had signal control to aircraft at least at some level. Logs will help determine what went wrong, but as mentioned above submit logs to gang here following the link and get that thing back to exchange if just for peace of mind and safety's sake.

At what altitude had you descended that it went all "nuts"?

Last edited:
This is a problem, at what point do you think to move to camera tilt, when you have no stick input? Your first rational thought after stick input was to hit RTH. Saying that you had gimbal control denotes that you indeed had signal control to aircraft at least at some level. Logs will help determine what went wrong, but as mentioned above submit logs to gang here following the link and get that thing back to exchange if just for peace of mind and safety's sake.

At what altitude had you descended that it went all "nuts"?
I came down to 360 feet so very little when it started doing it's own thing. I had full signal as it was only straight up 390 feet. After the sticks failed to do anything, I tried the to point the camera dial straight down in hopes that I could get an idea where it would end up. I'm fairly new to the scene. I can find the logs and view them myself but I'm not sure how to submit them to the right people. Any helpful information in that area?

IMG_6305.JPG
you have a friend here, my air 2 has almost the same behavior as you mentioned, i took off with the gps icon still red, may be connected to like 5 to 6 satellites, my plan is to gain more satellite on the air, so i hover my drone near me but it was above the sea. Anyway so when the gps reaches 10 it start to flyaway with it maximum power in position mode, 25m/s i haven’t seen that speed even in sport mode.
it also fly away in a semi circle, only before it hit a building , i sudden gain back control over it.

i own many dji drone, it never experienced this kinda behavior before. i don’t know if it is someone using a gps interference device, because i was flying in quite sensitive area in where i live.

View attachment 123911
i own many dji drone, it never experienced this kinda behavior before. i don’t know if it is someone using a gps interference device, because i was flying in quite sensitive area in where i live.
The incident had nothing to do with GPS interference.
Your description has all the signs of a yaw error incident.
What was the surface you launched from?

The incident had nothing to do with GPS interference.
Your description has all the signs of a yaw error incident.
What was the surface you launched from?

i launched from a concrete surface, at the edge of a finger pier.

the reason i think it is related to GPS is because the flyaway only started after i gain 10 satellites, the icon change from red to white.

i also lost all the ability to go up down left right, it is a bit like the gps has locked at somewhere else, and the drone try all it can to go back. because there was no sign of GPS lost, at the whole fly away it is above 10 satellites,

i actually have the footage of the drone during flyaway let me upload and show you

the reason i think it is related to GPS is because the flyaway only started after i gain 10 satellites, the icon change from red to white.

i also lost all the ability to go up down left right, it is a bit like the gps has locked at somewhere else, and the drone try all it can to go back. because there was no sign of GPS lost, at the whole fly away it is above 10 satellites,
It still wasn't related to GPS.
It was related to launching from a reinforced concrete surface.
The steel in the concrete deflected your compass which is used to initialise the gyro sensor.
When you climbed away from the magnetic field in the concrete, the compass and gyro data conflicted.
When the drone acquired GPS it attempted to correct what it perceived as a positioning error.
But each time it moved to get back in place, because the gyro was initialised incorrectly, that put it further off course.
Your drone shot off in an accelerating curved path trying to hold position.

Launching from reinforced concrete is asking for trouble.
A yaw error won't happen every time, but it's always a risk.

It still wasn't related to GPS.
It was related to launching from a reinforced concrete surface.
The steel in the concrete deflected your compass which is used to initialise the gyro sensor.
When you climbed away from the magnetic field in the concrete, the compass and gyro data conflicted.
When the drone acquired GPS it attempted to correct what it perceived as a positioning error.
But each time it moved to get back in place, because the gyro was initialised incorrectly, that put it further off course.
Your drone shot off in an accelerating curved path trying to hold position.

Launching from reinforced concrete is asking for trouble.
A yaw error won't happen every time, but it's always a risk.

I agree to what you say, but i never have this problem before with all my other drone, i think the owner of this post might have experience the same thing because it also goes in a curve.

and by the way how come it can fix itself, after like 30 second

by the way almost all my flights are hand launch or launch from concrete surface, as a civil engineer, i can confirm almost all concrete pavement and concrete structure has some sort of steel reinforcement, be carful guys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU