DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly in the snow

bonmot

Reactions
I know it is not recommended. But will the drone get wet during fly in the snow at -1/-2C temperature?
Of course not in a snow storm.
I am talking about light, nice and calm snow fall.
I would think it could be some nice shots.

Consider that there are air intakes for the body (ram air and fan powered). The propellers blow air into the motors for cooling also. The motors and CPU will be warmer than ambient temperatures to melt the snow. In heavier snow, air intakes may ice up to cause overheating. Snow melt or rain is far from pure water, it will have sufficient impurities to act as an electrolyte. This can cause galvanic corrosion of internals.

I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Consider that there are air intakes for the body (ram air and fan powered). The propellers blow air into the motors for cooling also. The motors and CPU will be warmer than ambient temperatures to melt the snow. In heavier snow, air intakes may ice up to cause overheating. Snow melt or rain is far from pure water, it will have sufficient impurities to act as an electrolyte. This can cause galvanic corrosion of internals.

I wouldn't do it.
Good point. Not going to do it :)

I know it is not recommended. But will the drone get wet during fly in the snow at -1/-2C temperature?
I fly in the snow all the time and never had a problem. The fan isn’t really strong enough to pull anything into it and it can take light rain anyway.

Reactions: Paulf10
I was at Yosemite Lakes RV Resort just outside Yosemite National Park during Thanksgiving and flu my new Mavic Mini for the first time in light snow with no problem. Got some beautivul footage. Not sure I would do that with a more expensive unit but at the low cost of the Mini go for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie