DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at night

I'd like to see the FAA make a single private company mandatory...

It gets more wild then that. The FAA confirms that you don't need to be a member of the AMA. So these people that think you need to follow the AMA rules think that you need to follow them even if you are not a member. No member... no money for the AMA.

...The AMA has no power over non-members.

That is true. But then we could also say that non-members who are not flying in accordance with AMA guidelines are violating SEC 336 unless they can prove they are following the rules of another bona fide CBO. I have yet to see another entity which might qualify as a CBO have rules or guidelines which materially deviate from the AMA's.

60% of my flying is at night between the hours of 10pm to 1am. I have White and red strobes from firehouse and I have no problem keeping VLOS. It's amazing to watch the city of New Haven and Bridgeport live at night 400 feet.

Unless you are a member of the AMA, you don't need to follow their rules. You would need to comply with Section 336. The main requirement I see is maintaining VLOS and fly in a safe manner.

I am new to this and see this is an old thread, but I keep seeing references to Section 336. I think the correct reference should be to the actual FAA Regulation: 14 CFR 101.41 (eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations) Section 336 congress set rules for the FAA specifically to not issue regulations specifically restricting Hobby Model Aircraft beyond which congress stated in section 336, which DJI drones model aircraft.

Having said that, both Section 336 and 14 CFR 101.41 states must follow the "safety guidelines" of a CBO. No need to be a member of any, but must pick one and follow their safety guidelines.

Reactions: Classic flyer
No need to be a member of any, but must pick one and follow their safety guidelines.

Nope.

However, if you choose to believe that,, search for my post on this and feel free to be a part of my CBO. The rules? There are no rules.

Sound dumb? It meets what you say people need to do.

Nope.

However, if you choose to believe that,, search for my post on this and feel free to be a part of my CBO. The rules? There are no rules.

Can I be Assistant Regional Manager?

Nope.

Plan English reading of the rule - Your group would not qualify - must have "set of safety guidelines" before one can follow the guidelines.

14 CFR 101.41 (b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

Seems pretty clear to me.

of course none of this matters unless the FAA gets involved for some unfortunate reason(s).

Reactions: Classic flyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3