DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying by air with a drone

funflyer

Reactions
What are the regulations? can i carry the drone on board? Does it have to be in my checked luggage? What are the basic rules mainly here in the states? I have a mini 2, so size is not a problem.

Carry on only. That’s it no big deal nothing else to know. There are 1000 threads about this.

I am a frequent flyer and usually travel with a drone or two. I just put it in my carry on. Nothing to announce to the tsa, no special rules, that’s it.

Im sure someone will chime in but I’ve flown literally hundreds of times with a drone in my bag and have never been asked to even have it removed from my carry on for further inspection.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I recently flew with my A2S. I just took my hard case with all of it and used that as my carry on. Had to pull my laptop out of it's case, but didn't even have to open the drone case. I would be more concerned with a flight attendant saying they don't have room in the overheads for it more than getting it through security...

And as dawgpilot said, only the batteries (and remote, it has a built in Lipo) need to be in the carry on.

What are the regulations? can i carry the drone on board? Does it have to be in my checked luggage? What are the basic rules mainly here in the states? I have a mini 2, so size is not a problem.
The only rule is that you cannot put the batteries in checked luggage.

I recently flew with my A2S. I just took my hard case with all of it and used that as my carry on. Had to pull my laptop out of it's case, but didn't even have to open the drone case. I would be more concerned with a flight attendant saying they don't have room in the overheads for it more than getting it through security...

And as dawgpilot said, only the batteries (and remote, it has a built in Lipo) need to be in the carry on.

Built-in batteries (like in the remote) can actually be in checked baggage according to the FAA. But personally I bring all my drone gear (except the charger) in my carry on, just to avoid damage or theft.

Reactions: twickers14
Technically, the controller and a drone with one battery fitted can / could go into a checked bag . . . loose batteries must be carry on, and the terminals should be taped over (or as I do place each of those in small ziplock bag, then in my drone backpack compartments).

But a mini 2 ?
Yeah if cabin bag has room / within any cabin weight allowance, take it all in cabin, much safe for the drone and less worry about baggage handlers.

I just flew and at the TSA took out my laptop. I was asked if I had any more electronics in my bag. Never was asked that before. I said well I have a drone. The guy then stumbled and did not know what to say or ask next. He then shook his head and said ok and let me continue. Never looked further.

Thank you for the replies. I guess I need not worry as long as I have my drone with me and not in my checked luggage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio