DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying dead staight ?

Fly above the bridge to the far end. Point the camera down to align as best you can to the center of the track. Set that location as your home point. Return to the end you are at. Turn on Homelock. Pull back on the stick and make sideways corrections as needed. The logic is that the drone will have a definite end point and will always head to that point, regardless of the yaw angle of the drone. Problem is that cross winds will have to be corrected. The other risk is that you have a distant home point. I'd set my RTH to hover.

OR… set Home exactly over your end of the bridge, fly over to the other end, enter the bridge, initiate Homelock, and film the return.

You could first test this approach by flying outside, parallel to the bridge to see what happens. Less risk.

I don't know if it will work, just thinking out loud.
You mean set RTH altitude to 2m above the track , or 2m above the homepoint altitude and film the RTH? Very interesting idea . Will have to experiment with that concept .

You mean set RTH altitude to 2m above the track , or 2m above the homepoint altitude and film the RTH? Very interesting idea . Will have to experiment with that concept .
Do any DJI drones allow you to set an RTH height of 2 metres?
<<apparently that's possible with some recent DJI drones>>
Using RTH is relying on GPS to record the home point and to keep the drone on track.
Post #4 explained why relying on GPS in a constrained environment is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Just something else to watch out for - since the bridge is no longer used for trains there could be wires or other debris hanging down from above that you can't see easily on screen. Go slow and use prop guards.

The sample you have is sufficient. In my opinion its not worth the risk to fly further and possible encounter magnetic interference losing the drone. Perhaps complete the flight over the bridge to diversify the video.

Wow!! Loved the video.
Nice flying skills also. Bet you had many close calls. I know I would have had to have a clean pair of pants. LOL
Now's the time to tell us all your secrets to flying in a dark tunnel and the thru the metal bridge. LOL
What method did you finally chose to fly the length of the bridge? What was the most difficult problem?
I have been seriously thinking about flying thru a dark tunnel and your video has the exact effect I am looking for.
Got any tips or tricks for both the bridge and the tunnel that you would be willing to share.
Just out of curiosity how many batteries/trips to the site did it take to get the perfect shots?

Wow!! Loved the video.
Nice flying skills also. Bet you had many close calls. I know I would have had to have a clean pair of pants. LOL
Now's the time to tell us all your secrets to flying in a dark tunnel and the thru the metal bridge. LOL
What method did you finally chose to fly the length of the bridge? What was the most difficult problem?
I have been seriously thinking about flying thru a dark tunnel and your video has the exact effect I am looking for.
Got any tips or tricks for both the bridge and the tunnel that you would be willing to share.
Just out of curiosity how many batteries/trips to the site did it take to get the perfect shots?
Well your clued in that It wasn't a one shot thing. Went through 3 batteries before I got the smooth flight through the tunnel and bridge.
Had to abort other attempts as the drone got too close to the wall or bridge , so don't expect to get it right first time. There's no secret to it.
My biggest tip , locate yourself in the midpoint of the tunnel , and fly your drone out to one end untill the signal begins to drop off , and then turn 180 and head back in along the entire lenght , and out the other side. That way you can always point the controller at the drone plus you will be hidden in the darkness .In the tunnel , don't use the screen , keep you eyes on the drone until it exits. Atti mode is way different to flying outside , the drone won't hover in place , it will drift on the slightest breeze or even its own prop wash .Sideways movements are jerky and you have to use opposite inputs to stop . The trick is slow but steady forward momentum , Take you time lining it up , Very hard to correct once you enter atti mode . When happy your lined up just commit and just use minimal yaw movements to steer . Use prop guards and a strobe to better you chances . Beware of wind currents blowing through the tunnel.
If its a long dark tunnel walk behind the drone if you can say 10 feet back , keeping it at eye level height. You could try mounting lights on the drone , but I have had limited success with this method.
No secret with bridges either , just try and stand directly behind the drone as it moves down the lenght of the bridge , always pointing the controller directly at the drone . Again slow , and as straight as possible . Turn off collision sensors , fly in cine (slow) mode , and set RTH to hover. Always try for a windless a day as possible , or a day the breeze is parallel to the bridge . Always plan your out if it goes wrong , can you crash it on the deck or go straight up ? Don't wait for it to collide with a railing and go in the drink.
So hope this helps. Maybe try flying the first 100 feet and seeing how it goes before you tackle the whole thing. Let me know how you get on

That was very cool, at least to me excellent music choice.
Thanks for the tips

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000