DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying for the fire department. What are the rules?

Also as a side note...

Always carry several spare SD Cards when you go to fly for an agency even if "just" the Fire Dept. If the scene shifts into a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION then you would need to turn your DATA (SD Cards) over to the Incident Commander to ensure Chain of Custody over the data just in case it's needed in court.

We have always gotten our cards back but sometimes it can take a couple of weeks if it's a busy time or a significant incident. Plan to be without them just in case.
Easiest would be to have the fire department provide the SD card, so there's no question about whose it is and who gets to keep it. (Also, makes it someone else's problem, leaving you free to concentrate on flying.)

Easiest would be to have the fire department provide the SD card, so there's no question about whose it is and who gets to keep it. (Also, makes it someone else's problem, leaving you free to concentrate on flying.)

In a perfect world yes that would def work but I've yet to work for a fire agency who happened to have a spare Micro SD card available when I needed it. Now Law Enforcement was a different story.

It can be fun.

Attachments

• DJI_0174.JPG
    DJI_0174.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
So my son is a firefighter here in Tennessee and he called me tonight and said his captain is interested in me being hired by the department to do drone work for training exercises as well as real structure fire scenes to get him better SA. I'm currently a recreational pilot so I couldn't be paid for my services if it's even allowed. I will be taking my Part 107 in March and know that only allows me to make money with my drone and provides me no privilege to "work" for the FD.

I looked up classes for using drones for public safety and emergency services but they all seem to apply to firefighters/law enforcement and not civilians. I'd love to help them out and would even add the Enterprise Dual to my collection for the thermal imaging capabilities but, I'm assuming than even with written permission from the captain, it's not legal at all and can get both of us in trouble. I tried to find very specific FAA rules on flying over active emergency scenes but most of the specific stuff just mentioned flying through wildfire areas can force firefighters to ground all airplanes and helis. I don't live anywhere near a wildfire zone so no risk there. I just deal with general medivac helis like everyone else does.

I'm assuming though that it's ok to record some aerial footage over their training exercises and just not get paid. Am I right? I'm a fulltime videographer and editor so I don't need $50 to help them out for a couple of hours but, I'd love to be a part of emergency scenes and help them out for fire scenes. The captain said he'd love to have me sitting with him in his vehicle so he can make better decisions. So, assuming permission from him is 100% useless, does anyone know if there are indeed classes that civilians can take to get certified for something like this?
The Captain and or the fire department should place a bid to keep process above board. Last thing you want to hear is that you were given special treatment because your son (nepotism) is/was in the department.

The Captain and or the fire department should place a bid to keep process above board. Last thing you want to hear is that you were given special treatment because your son (nepotism) is/was in the department.
The idea died off which I think it s a good thing at this stage. I really wouldn't want to offer my services for a couple of reasons. First off, I'm a full time video editor for Warner Bros Discovery for the last 24 years so I really don't have the ability to break away from my daytime shift to help them out on a call. Secondly, my MA2 doesn't really benefit them in a fire scenario especially at night where the sensor lacks proper video levels. Plus, thermal imaging is what is really needed so they can see flames and hot spots beyond their vision. That would be an Enterprise at the very least or Matrice 30T if I won the lottery or they had funding for it.

I still think hiring a civilian to fly for them is way more practical than wasting a fire fighter that should be battleing the fire so, maybe it's something I can keep on the back burner if I ever lost my job or decided to change careers.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803