DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a skyscraper!

Sounds like you are in the typical middle of the local people that think they control the airspace when in fact the FAA controls the airspace. The FAA rule is clear. 400’ above a structure unless other airspace restrictions or TRF exist. Good luck.
Not sure what you're implying, but I in no way think I control my local airspace. All I'm saying is that - while I'm fully aware of the 400' rule you're mentioning (I've been a P107 pilot for years) - it doesn't apply when you're in controlled airspace. Every time I've received airspace authorization for our local Class B airspace, the authorization specifically states that the altitude authorized is from ground level, and I can't just add on to the local structures like what you're mentioning.

Reactions: Bradders71
Those with Part 107 certification can get authorizations exceeding published ceilings in the sUAS Facilities Maps used by the LAANC system, but the request and subsequent authorization are to a specified height AGL which is absolute. If a job entails flying above a structure that exceeds the Facilities Map altitudes it must be part of the request for clearance.

Good information. Max AGL is calculated by more than one factor. Facility Maps are published by the FAA. Local authorities may provide their answers of how high you can fly even when they are contrary to FAA regulations. The FAA provides local authorities to enforce FAA regulations. UAS Facility Maps

Not sure what you're implying, but I in no way think I control my local airspace. All I'm saying is that - while I'm fully aware of the 400' rule you're mentioning (I've been a P107 pilot for years) - it doesn't apply when you're in controlled airspace. Every time I've received airspace authorization for our local Class B airspace, the authorization specifically states that the altitude authorized is from ground level, and I can't just add on to the local structures like what you're mentioning.

I may have not fully undersold your situation. I was thinking local officials where stating you could not fly above 400 AGL regardless of the structure. I agree with your statement about airspace restrictions. I did mention in my post that other factors like TRFs and existing restrictions on the airspace must be factored into max AGL.

Sounds like you are in the typical middle of the local people that think they control the airspace when in fact the FAA controls the airspace. The FAA rule is clear. 400’ above a structure unless other airspace restrictions or TRF exist. Good luck.

Ummm not correct. That does NOT include CONTROLLED Airspace!

For anyone reading this... LAANC Authorizations are ABSOLUTE altitudes AGL. The ONLY allowable deviation is for an EMERGENCY!!

If you have a LAANC for 200' and you're wanting to fly from/over a building that is 290' AGL you can not go over 200' AGL. LAANC Altitudes are not "grey area" and you can not add altitude to them.... PERIOD!!

Let's say you have LAANC for 200' AGL. You are flying from a building that is 210' AGL. You assume (incorrectly) that you can legally add 400' onto the buildings 210' allowing you to ascend to 690' AGL (Remember we are talking CONTROLLED Airspace and operating within LAANC approvals).Imagine a plane coming in on an approach path and hitting 500' and seeing your DRONE HIGHER than they are. Bad... VERY BAD!!

We worked very HARD to get allowances to fly in Controlled Airspace. Let's not RUIN that allowance by NOT following the rules and NOT understanding how to operate within them.

FAA Safety Team Representative
FAA Safety Team Drone Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
It was in a limited height area. I laanc it. I was hired to film the target building! RTH was the roof next to me. But to be truthful it was a very small area of the roof the drone and gps would work. But all legal on my end.

Very much NOT legal unless your LAANC Authorization noted the 492' AGL height! You don't understand the limitations for LAANC I'm afraid.

Ummm not correct. That does NOT include CONTROLLED Airspace!

For anyone reading this... LAANC Authorizations are ABSOLUTE altitudes AGL. The ONLY allowable deviation is for an EMERGENCY!!

If you have a LAANC for 200' and you're wanting to fly from/over a building that is 290' AGL you can not go over 200' AGL. LAANC Altitudes are not "grey area" and you can not add altitude to them.... PERIOD!!

Let's say you have LAANC for 200' AGL. You are flying from a building that is 210' AGL. You assume (incorrectly) that you can legally add 400' onto the buildings 210' allowing you to ascend to 690' AGL (Remember we are talking CONTROLLED Airspace and operating within LAANC approvals).Imagine a plane coming in on an approach path and hitting 500' and seeing your DRONE HIGHER than they are. Bad... VERY BAD!!

We worked very HARD to get allowances to fly in Controlled Airspace. Let's not RUIN that allowance by NOT following the rules and NOT understanding how to operate within them.

FAA Safety Team Representative
FAA Safety Team Drone Pro

As I stated "unless other airspace restrictions or TRF exist." a restriction would be controlled airspace. Yes, LAANC is AGL. I never fly above what I file on LAANC.

As I stated "unless other airspace restrictions or TRF exist." a restriction would be controlled airspace. Yes, LAANC is AGL. I never fly above what I file on LAANC.

You are using the wrong terms. Controlled is NOT restricted. I fully understand your point but we've got to be precise in WHAT we say and HOW we say it.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett