DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Boone, NC

randy53

Reactions
My wife and I are heading to Boone for a few days and was wondering if anyone in that area had some advice for good places to fly. Thanks

Reactions: dmanisgnarly
My wife and I are heading to Boone for a few days and was wondering if anyone in that area had some advice for good places to fly. Thanks
I'm from Lenoir, just down the mountain and there are a ton of good places! Pull off at one of the many pull-offs along highway 321 or stroll up to the blue Ridge parkway. I suggest using a fly zone app to make sure you're not in the Pisgah National Forest though as it covers most of that area. Banner elk and sugar mountain are also on my place list!

Sounds great! Thanks! . We are driving up from Graham to celebrate our anniversary. :)

Lees Mcrae college has a few spots that look like it would be fun to fly around. its in banner elk which isn't far but there is an airport close by, I haven't looked to see if its within five miles or not. I wanted to go there the last time i went to beech mountain but ran out of time. Its a nice area through there, We travel there a lot and it would be nice to get other suggestions on where to go.

Last edited:
Just be aware that the Blue Ridge Parkway is a national park and is therefore off limits. It is usually only a narrow strip however so you can always hike off and fly. But definitely cannot fly from the parkway pullouts or overlooks unfortunately.

db

make sure you're not in the Pisgah National Forest though as it covers most of that area.
The National Forests aren't covered as NFZs like National Parks. You can fly in Forest Service lands as long as there aren't any TFZs. Read this article from the US Forest Service. Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service You just can't take off or land in designated Wilderness Areas.

The National Forests aren't covered as NFZs like National Parks. You can fly in Forest Service lands as long as there aren't any TFZs. Read this article from the US Forest Service. Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service You just can't take off or land in designated Wilderness Areas.

True, but also check your county & municipal ordinances, more & more local govt's are starting to regulate where you can takeoff/ land from. I even know a county that requires you to pull a permit to use any land ( excepting private ) within city limits for $25 for the day. Ahhh the buck starts here!!

I'm from Lenoir, just down the mountain and there are a ton of good places! Pull off at one of the many pull-offs along highway 321 or stroll up to the blue Ridge parkway. I suggest using a fly zone app to make sure you're not in the Pisgah National Forest though as it covers most of that area. Banner elk and sugar mountain are also on my place list!

So should I look for places South of Blowing Rock on 321 or North of Boone?

I can't find any problem flying in the Pisgah National Forest just as long as you're following the FAA UAS regulations.
Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service

https://ncsheriffs.org/wp-content/u...MS-IN-NORTH-CAROLINA-REVISED-OCTOBER-2017.pdf

Drone Laws in North Carolina (2019) - UAV Coach

Last edited:
Any updates for Boone, Banner Elk, etc., in North Carolina mountains regarding Drone photography for 2020? Rule/Law changes? Recommended sites.

I am looking for same...

Generally speaking you need to avoid all NPS (think Blue Ridge Parkway) property explicitly.

Know that any "property" have hand Land Use Restrictions that have nothing to do with the FAA. Think "trespassing".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy