DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Europe

JDub61

Reactions
Hello community, I'm a newbie here. I own a Mavic Mini and will be raveling to Europe, soon. Are certifications/licensing required to fly recreationally in Spain/ Italy? Thanks in advance, JDub61

Reactions: GFields
Hello community, I'm a newbie here. I own a Mavic Mini and will be raveling to Europe, soon. Are certifications/licensing required to fly recreationally in Spain/ Italy? Thanks in advance, JDub61
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

UAV Coach is a great resource.

welcome to the forum

Hello Jdub61,
To fly a sub-250gr drone in Europe, you do not need to register the drone itself. You do need to register yourself as a drone pilot.
Being from outside the European Union, you will need to register in the first European country you will want to fly. You do not need to register again in any other EU country you visit next.
Once you are registered, you will receive a UAS operator registration number which is valid throughout Europe. You will need to put a sticker with your registration number to your drone and that's it.
Follow the link provided by Pescobar61 to get you started.

To know about the no-fly zones in Spain, go to ENAIRE Drones or install the Enaire Drones app.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and Search EASA regs on this forum. There is much great information on this topic. One tip is to access the EASA site through Luxembourg.

I can't recall right now. For one, I believe it is in English, or available in English. Also, no fees. Someone posted that benefit on this forum less than a month or so ago. Maybe you can search for it?
It took me a week or so to feel comfortable putting up the Mini 2. I just tried to stay away from people, so as not to arouse too much interest. I had registered on EASA through Austria, which was just fine, too. Just need to put your pilots number on your drone. Be aware of fly zones in Spain. I think they spend a lot of effort to keep pilots honest.
Good luck. You will have fun. Share your photos when you get back.

My understanding is that as a foreign visitor, with a sub-250 gram drone, all you need to do is register yourself (not the drone). You register in the first EU country that you intend to visit, and then you are good for all EU nations after that, since the initial registration is recognized as valid for all EU countries.

For example, let's say I plan to visit Ireland first (great music, great beer, beautiful scenery, lovely people, English widely spoken), so I register (myself) there. But then my plans change -- I decide to skip Ireland, and go somewhere else in the EU, let's say Portugal. Any issues with not first flying in Ireland, and just going somewhere else?

In other words, are there any "teeth" to the instructions that say, register in the first EU country you will visit? Or can you simply pick any EU country to register in, and then go about your visit and fly in any EU country?

Asking for a friend. Thanks.

No worries. No problem flying in a different country first. Plans change. It does say, "intend".

Cymruflyer,
I cannot support this other than I recall someone on the forum recommend this about a month ago and I don’t recall the reason he suggested it. I searched but cannot find that post.
I went through the Austrian site in English, and had no issues to register a Mini 2, so I just had to register myself. I could not get my hands on a Mini 3 before I left, but I have one now.
I am trying to get my photos edited, which I am looking forward to sharing with you. I did not have a chance to connect with Rudi as we had overscheduled ourselves. A regret. We have all overwhelmingly decided we need to go back! Such a neat country!
I did get the Mini up a few times, although not as much as I would have wished. Alas. Once in Old Salzburg.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2