DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Fog: Beware!

Yep, turning the sensors off is a good idea.

The Pro uses ultrasonic sensors so they couldn't care less about the fog, but the Spark and Air use infrared and that definitely gets messed up.
By the way, (little bit of topic) I was stopped by some kind of park ranger or rather forest guard once when flying MP. He asked me whether I have permission to fly in forest. He explained that in zone that is protected due to presence of endangered birds nesting, ultrasonic sensor can scare them aways from nests or they can go bonkers while on eggs that can end up by eggs being damaged... It sounded a little bit like a drama to me but anyway. In some countries, a permission is needed from state controlled forests in protected zone on top of all others from FAA and local authorities...

If you cant see your drone because it is flying over the fog that you are below, then you are breaking the law.

Ok, I got some really cool video of these buffalo:

After a no-fly day yesterday I was eager to test out my new tablet (Kindle Fire HD8-- highly recommended!). So today, I got a chance but it was lightly snowing, and a bit foggy. I flew relatively low (under 100 feet), but coming home (after the video above) the ground obstacle avoidance sensors went haywire on me, and it kept thinking it was landing. I was able to steer, but it didn't really want to come down from 80-100 feet, and when it did it kept telling me it was landing. I was nervous it was going to land wherever it wanted to on the way home.

When I got it back to the home point, in the process of landing (from about 80 feet up), it did a pretty rapid descent and I was worried it would come down to hard. It landed just fine, but I was a little nervous on the way down.

I've flown in worse conditions (snow in the mountains) and have never had this happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I flipped it to sport mode, would that have helped? I didn't think of that until after I landed.
Something else you may be interested in, Tripod mode. Limits the speed and response so you get very smooth video. Only works in P mode not Sport mode. Can't quite remember how to get there without turning it all on. Worth it.
Steve

After a no-fly day yesterday I was eager to test out my new tablet (Kindle Fire HD8-- highly recommended!). So today, I got a chance but it was lightly snowing, and a bit foggy. I flew relatively low (under 100 feet), but coming home (after the video above) the ground obstacle avoidance sensors went haywire on me, and it kept thinking it was landing. I was able to steer, but it didn't really want to come down from 80-100 feet, and when it did it kept telling me it was landing. I was nervous it was going to land wherever it wanted to on the way home.

When I got it back to the home point, in the process of landing (from about 80 feet up), it did a pretty rapid descent and I was worried it would come down to hard. It landed just fine, but I was a little nervous on the way down.

I've flown in worse conditions (snow in the mountains) and have never had this happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I flipped it to sport mode, would that have helped? I didn't think of that until after I landed.
I've flown the mavic in heavy fog with no issues... odd that happened. sport wouldnt help i dont think, thats unrelated.

I wonder if your ground sensors got dew on them, and showed they were close to something., i turn all of that stuff off, and thus never have sensors trying to fly the craft.. I'm a big fan of flying it myself and not having automated things mess with my flight.

I've flown the mavic in heavy fog with no issues... odd that happened. sport wouldnt help i dont think, thats unrelated.

I wonder if your ground sensors got dew on them, and showed they were close to something., i turn all of that stuff off, and thus never have sensors trying to fly the craft.. I'm a big fan of flying it myself and not having automated things mess with my flight.
Bill!!!!! Good to see you on here. Got to start following you ... ;-)

Reactions: Aerial West
My Mavic Air initiated auto-landing in light fog several times during a flight. This was harrowing as the drone was pretty far away. I’ve never had this occur with my Mavic Pro, so I reckon it was in fact the Air’s sensors.

Would it not be recommended to switch off sensors if flying in fog?
I flew in fog the other day and the landing protection was on but whe I went to land it was if it was turned off very hard landing bc u have to hold down on the sticks to make it land hard slam to the ground from about 3 feet fog isn’t your friend

I had this happen to me on like my 5th flight in perfectly clear weather @ 400' AGL. The bird kept halting mid-flight citing "Obstacle avoidance." I was able to get the bird back home, but not after enduring no less than 10 of these stops. For a minute, I thought I wouldn't be able to get the bird home. Once landed, I turned off VPS and never looked back. Never had another problem ever again. That was over a year ago.

D

Reactions: Facherty
Hi, just check this out and tell me what you think

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll