DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Italy - specific scenario

arciere84

Reactions
(apologies for the long-ish message, please remove if inappropriate)

So I will (hopefully) be flying my drone in my home country in a few days, in one of the most beautiful parts of Italy (sorry, I'm biased!). However, having done my homework, it appears that my local area has tons of restrictions (way more than I have here in London!)

I will be staying (and flying) around this area:

Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 17.32.52.png

Which is where this is (among other things):

Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 17.35.16.png

However, when I look at the permitted areas and flying zones, I get this:

Screenshot_2022-04-07-17-37-23-43_b2d3862e707fc278b316f5045fdc6d6e.jpg

Now, the regulations under the (enormous) red zone are:

Within the geographic area, when active, UAS operations are prohibited. [...] For activation times, consult the AIP Italia website etc etc

When I look at the documentation, I can see that it is a 'parachuting area' that has an authorisation valid until the 31/12/2023 with periods of activity 'HJ'. According to what I know, 'HJ' means sunrise to sunset.

Am I correct to assume that I am perfectly fine to fly before sunrise and after sunset?

On a separate note, it is quite annoying that such a large area has been granted this kind of permission for (almost) ever when nobody ever uses it for that purpose (parachuting!).

Reactions: Gipper
I would say: stay safe and consider the red areas as "no fly zone" unless specific otherwise defined.

And since within the EC VLOS is requiered, you soon will get a problem flying after sunset or before sunrise. The smaller your drone is, the harder it will be to see.

(apologies for the long-ish message, please remove if inappropriate)

So I will (hopefully) be flying my drone in my home country in a few days, in one of the most beautiful parts of Italy (sorry, I'm biased!). However, having done my homework, it appears that my local area has tons of restrictions (way more than I have here in London!)

I will be staying (and flying) around this area:

View attachment 146428

Which is where this is (among other things):

View attachment 146429

However, when I look at the permitted areas and flying zones, I get this:

View attachment 146430

Now, the regulations under the (enormous) red zone are:

Within the geographic area, when active, UAS operations are prohibited. [...] For activation times, consult the AIP Italia website etc etc

When I look at the documentation, I can see that it is a 'parachuting area' that has an authorisation valid until the 31/12/2023 with periods of activity 'HJ'. According to what I know, 'HJ' means sunrise to sunset.

Am I correct to assume that I am perfectly fine to fly before sunrise and after sunset?

On a separate note, it is quite annoying that such a large area has been granted this kind of permission for (almost) ever when nobody ever uses it for that purpose (parachuting!).
My wife and I did a glorious trip to the “heel “ of Italy and all of these girgious cities like Lecce
Matera
Albellobello etc
Just fly below 100feet up and down as fast as possible
e.g.: stealth flights

My wife and I did a glorious trip to the “heel “ of Italy and all of these girgious cities like Lecce
Matera
Albellobello etc
Just fly below 100feet up and down as fast as possible
e.g.: stealth flights
Yes, I have seen a number of people using drones and on the beaches is pretty dead in winter/spring.

But I was curious to understand what the charts really mean.

Yes, I have seen a number of people using drones and on the beaches is pretty dead in winter/spring.

But I was curious to understand what the charts really mean.
Just remember
When asking permission the default reply will be no

Reactions: arciere84

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3