DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Jackson, WY - Near Grand Teton. Flying with Mavic Air 2.

evann2120

Reactions
Hello,

I’ve searched around and the posts are vague about national parks. Some people say it won’t let you take off and some say it will but just to have your head on a swivel. I know that flying is prohibited in national parks, but will the air 2 still let you take off and fly? Also, has anyone had any experience about flying in Jackson or anywhere near there? What does the app say when you take off?

My last question is that if anyone has tried to take a drone on American Airlines, what did you do? Can the drone batteries be carried on in separate bags, along with the drone itself, or does the drone need to be checked in my baggage and the batteries need to be carried on in separate baggies.

Thanks!

Reactions: tlswift58
Flying with a drone is no problem on U.S. airlines. Batteries can’t be installed in the drone. No hassle with TSA either.

NF have no flight restrictions related to being a National Forest, National Parks don’t allow TO.... but Rec don’t fly there as people don’t go to here and see drones. Wilderness areas are off limits due to min altitude of 2000’ for any type of aircraft/drone.

NF have no flight restrictions related to being a National Forest, National Parks don’t allow TO.... but Rec don’t fly there as people don’t go to here and see drones. Wilderness areas are off limits due to min altitude of 2000’ for any type of aircraft/drone.
I believe his question was whether the MA2 will take off, not whether it is legal. Kind of curious myself. Anyone know if DJI's GEO prevents flight launched from within National Parks? I think not, since it isn't a safety or security issue.

I live within the DC no fly Restricted Zone and I can't take off. The same GEO zones will prevent you from taking off in Nation Parks.

Hello,

I’ve searched around and the posts are vague about national parks. Some people say it won’t let you take off and some say it will but just to have your head on a swivel. I know that flying is prohibited in national parks, but will the air 2 still let you take off and fly? Also, has anyone had any experience about flying in Jackson or anywhere near there? What does the app say when you take off?

My last question is that if anyone has tried to take a drone on American Airlines, what did you do? Can the drone batteries be carried on in separate bags, along with the drone itself, or does the drone need to be checked in my baggage and the batteries need to be carried on in separate baggies.

Thanks!
I flew in the Tetons last year - not in the park boundaries though. The main road from Yellowstone to Jackson has many pull-offs and outside of park boundaries - so you can fly. Got some awesome pics and vids of both GT's and Snake River from there.

Need an app like KittyHawk to show most "hot" spots to avoid.

I also flew near the Jackson Airport and did get a warning and had to unlock thru my DJI App when in that area. No issues though. Did have several aircraft come flying by but ADS-B warned me well ahead of time.

May be able to fly up at the ski resort above Jackson, but not 100% sure. Did not try to fly drone around Jackson city limits - had my DSLR for all that.

Last edited:
Other than planning to TO from inside a NP (illegally), I can't see any other reason to ask the question.
Wrong. Grand Tetons is a great place to drone from roadside that is LEGAL. Been there did that. Got some great pics and vids of it. NOT ONE issue where I flew outside park boundaries. Did get a warning and had to unlock to fly near Jackson Airport though - which makes sense.

Most NP's ARE NOT very dronable from outside the boundaries - but some are - like the Teton's, Blue Ridge Parkway (about 1/2 mile wide at most points), and others.

You make GREAT ASSUMPTIONS based on ZERO FACTS!

Other than planning to TO from inside a NP (illegally), I can't see any other reason to ask the question.

The area I’m staying at is quite far from the airport and outside of the red “hot” zones on AirMap. The riskiest place I want to fly it is at schwabacher landing but it’s well within the red so I prob won’t/can’t. I figured you’d probably be able to take off but I just wanted to make sure before I dragged it along with me.

I believe his question was whether the MA2 will take off, not whether it is legal. Kind of curious myself. Anyone know if DJI's GEO prevents flight launched from within National Parks? I think not, since it isn't a safety or security issue.

From what I’ve been reading I think if you’re in the red zones you can still take off. You might have an FAA authorization pop up but that’s it.

Hello,

Thanks!
I took both my drone and my batteries on the plane as a carry on. Only thing I did was to put each battery in a baggie. they never said a word.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead