DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Niagara falls

scottief

Reactions
Im going to Niagara falls, Ontario this weekend. I know most of it is a no fly zone. The part I see that isn't a no fly is part of Niagara on the lake. Just out of curiosity, If I started in Canada, flew over the Niagara River into the states, Would I now need to get the FAA licence for the drone? Im not going to do it as it will be my second flight but just wondering if anyone has done this?

Similar question. does anyone know what is needed to fly in Ontario, Canada? Clearly FAA is US only.

Does anyone have an answer for this? Flying in Niagara state park? Or the adjacent islands, three sisters or goat island?

You MAY be able to find a small sliver of airspace on the USA side to fly in, but I highly doubt it.

I was there last month. Look at sectional charts and you'll see how hard it will be. Plus, both side are constantly packed with people, so you'll end up flying over them at some point. Throw in the constant helicopter traffic, and flying there is pretty much a no go. I was on the American side for about 7 hours, and there was at least 2 helicopters up at all times.

I didn't even take my drone there, or even into Canada. I just stuck with my Olympus camera.

Good luck if you do try to fly there.

Check AirMap. There is a lot of prohibited airspace.

Try going up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake. There is a Park right where the Niagara River joins Lake Ontario. Nice place. Looks open to fly per AirMap.

Does anyone have an answer for this? Flying in Niagara state park? Or the adjacent islands, three sisters or goat island?

Niagara Falls Intl airport is Class D, and its airspace goes to almost the Falls. Adjoining that airspace is Canada's NFZ for that area.

Lots of tourists around as well, so almost impossible to fly without going over them.

Check AirMap. There is a lot of prohibited airspace.

Try going up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake. There is a Park right where the Niagara River joins Lake Ontario. Nice place. Looks open to fly per AirMap.
Thats fort Niagara state park. Again, a state park. I think I will just find an open field somewhere and just fly there. I will try to get permission first but likely know the answer.....

Last edited:
Download air map. There are three areas where you can fly the drone. On the US side, there is a sliver of goat island. There is a special use air space over most of the falls, but there is a small space to the north and the south where it can be flown. Airmap will give you a very good idea of where this is.

If I remember correctly, that's restricted airspace from surface to 3000'. There was a big brouhaha on this not too long ago. Some guy nearly hit a helicopter there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert