DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in state parks where it is banned

Regarding the National Parks – I flew a drone over the Kennicott National Park in Alaska in 2017. Before I did that I checked with multiple park rangers. At that time the rule was that I needed to Launch and Land from Private property. That was not difficult as there were several private lots.

Kennicott Alaska

this is not true. The FAA rules state that State and local laws must be followed. Some cities forbid flying drones in some locations regardless of where you launch from.

False.

The FAA specifically claims all authority over airspace and flight paths. Any local or state laws governing airspace are preempted by federal jurisdiction.

Localities and states CAN regulate land use, including launching and landing a drone.

@Vic Moss can probably provide more context here.

The FAA rule refers to you not launching from areas that you are not allowed to launch from. State and local laws are being followed if you don't launch from with areas that forbid it. Additionally you must not do things like harass wildlife etc etc. It does not mean that parks and other entities can make rules that govern your flight over their areas. ONLY the FAA controls the airspace. If the FAA does not set an area aside as restricted in some way you are free to fly over it while following FAA rules and ensuring the safety of people and such. That said, if you were to blatantly fly over a popular area and reported you might have an unpleasant time of it and as many people have found out, may be confronted by police and told you are not allowed to fly even if the agent is wrong. Knowing the fine line that legally allows you to fly over a national park doesn't mean it's a good idea. I started this thread because of my confusion about being able to fly over a state park whose rules forbid flying there and learned from a representative of the department that indeed, I can't launch from there but the FAA has no rules the prohibit me from flying over that airspace. Same is true for virtually all airspace. Fly where the FAA allows it, legally observing the FAA restrictions and you are legal, although that may not be enough to keep everyone happy.

Do I understand correctly that if I am on a state hwy that is traversing a state park, I can launch a drone and fly off to the park legally? There is a state park that is traversed by a state hwy that I would like to fly. I understand that if the hwy is outside the park I can launch and fly into the park but what about a state hwy that goes through a park. Could I stop at a pull pull out and fly? I know I can’t hike into a park and launch and I understand that if there is a road fully outside a park I can launch and fly into the park but I don’t know if a public hwy that goes through a park is legal to launch from.
The FAA Controls air space not the State Parks at leased here in Michigan !
you can Launch from the top Roof of you Car / SUV ? You own that space from 200 to 498 ?
Is Governed by the FAA. fact !
I believe you can safely take all the pictures to hearts content !

I take pictures to my Hearts Content her in Detroit Michigan I'm not here to debate with every Tom **** & Harry !
I have no problem ! These pictures were taken safely and I didn't enter Canadas air space.

Attachments

• 839528CA-A192-4B14-93AC-39065EA12391.jpeg
    839528CA-A192-4B14-93AC-39065EA12391.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • C8A52D2D-65BE-4E19-8DD3-27B63D6D6E92.jpeg
    C8A52D2D-65BE-4E19-8DD3-27B63D6D6E92.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • CB0C33D2-D87F-486C-9937-DD9A40E1BDCF.jpeg
    CB0C33D2-D87F-486C-9937-DD9A40E1BDCF.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
You own that space from 200 to 498 ?
Can you provide a link to an FAA ruling to support that claim?

I think you will find all recreational flights must be 400 feet AGL or less.

Part 107 flights are generally 400 feet AGL or less, with the allowance in uncontrolled airspace they can fly 400 feet above a structure as long as they are within 400 feet laterally of that structure.

Reactions: BigAl07
........You own that space from 200 to 498 ?
I believe you can safely take all the pictures to hearts content !

What? Where in the world are you pulling those #'s from? You may want to check your sources again before you go quoting random (and incorrect) #'s like those.

Reactions: okw
I'm pretty sure the FAA owns the airspace above it so state parks are fine flying over. The state can make a law on take offs or landings in the park though. Some parks are so big it's not possible from outside the boundaries.

I'm pretty sure the FAA owns the airspace above it so state parks are fine flying over. The state can make a law on take offs or landings in the park though. Some parks are so big it's not possible from outside the boundaries.
You are correct but folks should keep in mind highways that run through parks are generally not part of the park themselves so pullouts on highways are potential take-off points. I posted a video here taken at Beluga Point, just south of Anchorage which is part of a local state park. The highway splits the land with the mainland and state park to the west and a small strip of land to the east of the highway, also part of the park which then gives way to Cook Inlet and a very strong bore tide that is fascinating. I would not be allowed to leave the very large turnout and launch from the shore but I can safely launch from the hood of my car and fly out over the water which is also, technically part of the state park. Similarly there is a wonderful fast moving river bordering Denali Nat'l Park that runs right next to a highway and as it freezes in the winter there are beautiful areas of steam and ice and water that can be flown over safely and legally. I'd love to fly inside Denali but the odds of getting permission are, I'd guess, close to zero.

I wouldn't think you could fly into the park, so your question is moot. I think the point of not flying in state and national parks is to not annoy visitors who are there to enjoy the solitude of the park without having to hear drone noise, and to not disturb wildlife, etc.
I really would like to meet someone who can hear the noise of a drone over a diesel pickup truck, a Harley Davidson, or a snowmobile.

I really would like to meet someone who can hear the noise of a drone over a diesel pickup truck, a Harley Davidson, or a snowmobile.
While I love nature, peace, and solitude there are very few places in the park systems (especially local and state parks) where road, rail, and air noise is not present while visiting the park. Noise from drones is just an excuse to justify people’s paranoia about drones whipped up by zealous media with nothing substantial to report about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929