DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the rain?

Not a good idea since the prop motors cool themselves by pulling in outside air and there's no way to keep rain out and keep cool motors. Water will get to the motor bearings, the electronics and ....................

We thought the same thing , however you have to respect that these Motors are as you might already know designed to negotiate water and Heat.

There is a reason why motors are made of Aluminum which our designed to with stand up to 450 degree heat temps and need very little venting for less than a 30 minute flight .

The Motors our not a weak link , not in any way, but the battery is.extremely susceptible.
It only takes 4 Minutes in a pouring rain with the Mavic to get water inside the Battery Compartment without the Wet Suit , thus the reason why
we decided to make the Wet Suit for the Mavic Pro / and Mavic 2 Pro / Zoom.

Once your Battery Gets Wet , and or the Power Button absorbs any Moisture that battery is prone to swelling and failure.

You can test this by running your battery under the Water Tap just a few seconds , once you see that battery flash its been compromised and will never be the same.

So you can run those motors all day long but that battery is tricky.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

You would think that water would enter the vents but the rain is coming Down and the force of the rain is coming downward so the amount of water that could get past the vents is very minimal and if you have a Mavic Wet Suit its close to zero.

Water getting past the vents has never been an issue for the Mavic, just the Phantom 4 .

Phantomrain.org
Coal
So how do you keep the drones from overheating? Are these hundreds of flights on the same drone, or on 100s of drones? How long were these flights? By just telling us you had 100s flights is meaningless. It could be 100 drones with 30 seconds of flight each. If it were 100 flights of 15 minutes each on 1 drone, then we have a talking point.

So how do you keep the drones from overheating? Are these hundreds of flights on the same drone, or on 100s of drones? How long were these flights? By just telling us you had 100s flights is meaningless. It could be 100 drones with 30 seconds of flight each. If it were 100 flights of 15 minutes each on 1 drone, then we have a talking point.

Sorry I should clarify that , Yes all of the videos over 100 flights our on the Same Drone .
The average flight in the Rain is about 23 minutes . Over heating has never been an issue with either of the drones flying in rain, snow or hail.

I will be posting some new videos from yesterdays storm very soon which we flew from inside the car, very cool.

The Phantom 4 Pro has over 200 flights in the Rain on the same drone.

The Wet Suits have changed the Game when it comes to flying in extreme weather.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

You would think that water would enter the vents but the rain is coming Down and the force of the rain is coming downward so the amount of water that could get past the vents is very minimal and if you have a Mavic Wet Suit its close to zero.

Water getting past the vents has never been an issue for the Mavic, just the Phantom 4 .

Phantomrain.org
Coal
And to note - you can fly with the gimbal cover “bubble” on: this loosely covers the intake duct. So the airflow can’t be that high. Wouldn’t do it on a hot day though...

I meant to post this at the time but forgot. It might be valuable for someone so I'm posting it.

We had a looong winter here in the S Adirondacks this year, had snow on the ground from November thru May, that's 7 months. In May I took the MM for a flight in marginal conditions. It was pretty cold but just above freezing on the ground.

While flying it started raining slightly on my position so I decided to bring it home. I got it back OK but one of the prop blades was cracked.

When I reviewed the footage it was clear that it was sleeting up higher, sleet/snow looks very different to rain. I did not come close to any obstacles during the flight and so believe the cracked blade was a result of flying in sleet/frozen rain.

Obviously I have no way of proving this but would recommend you do not fly the MM if the temp on the ground is close to freezing and there's any chance of precipitation.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu