DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors

baritony

Reactions
So I started with the Original Phantom, the one with the hard plastic clip that attached upside down to the bottom of the Phantom. Man how far we've come!!
Anyway, I have had that Original and Phantom 2 with ARRIS aftermarket gimbal and the a Phantom 3 Pro.
So as time has gone forward from Original Phantom days, one thing that had always been the same is the GPS flights. GPS has been needed to hold position when flying indoors. ATTI Mode. I know vertical positioning has been maintained but the drift was constant.
Not anymore!
Most likely I just didnt see/read/hear about but I was at the Detroit Auto Show Press week and downstairs of Cobo ( Big Cement/steel structure below ground in basement) I watched a never had a drone controller in his hands guy fly inside the basement with all the stability of 17 satellites outdoors!!! How cool
So I went home and tried it myself. Once I had only 3 Sats and another time with 0 Sats and holy crap!! Awesome.

My point is I posting this in case others arent aware, you can fly indoors and not necessarily be like the many youtube crash videos of flying indoors like days gone by

Those flights use the vision positioning system to hold position, and that generally works well. The problem that may arise is if the aircraft manages to get enough satellites locked to get a position and then goes into marginal GPS-based P-GPS mode (as opposed to VPS-based P-GPS). That can lead to poorly controlled flight.

Those flights use the vision positioning system to hold position, and that generally works well. The problem that may arise is if the aircraft manages to get enough satellites locked to get a position and then goes into marginal GPS-based P-GPS mode (as opposed to VPS-based P-GPS). That can lead to poorly controlled flight.
Good to know. Ill do more testing before I do something too confidently . LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147