DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying inside a room. What should I know?

I guess I got lucky. Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Mine came in in the afternoon and I wanted full battery charge before first launch. Batteries were charged, it was dark out so the living room it was. About an 8' ceiling. Totally ignorant, I fired it up, lifted it up to about four feet and whirled it around the living room. God watches out for babies and fools.
And I did this at work one day, in Atti mode, thinking that was logical. I still do not understand Atti mode, or why they have an Atti mode if it isn’t safe. A dent in the 12 foot or so tall ceiling would have been hard to explain.

For the purposes of testing, I need to power up the drone and the TC Pro controller and do a lift off to check and ensure that connection, software, batterie, everything are working properly.

Any advice what should I be aware of when flying in a room?
That you don’t have a 400’ ceiling. 😵‍💫
🇨🇦👍

For the purposes of testing, I need to power up the drone and the TC Pro controller and do a lift off to check and ensure that connection, software, batterie, everything are working properly.

A Mavic 3? Don't do it. This is highly suspect operation. You have been forewarned.

Tons of really good advice above. When I am checking for an FW update etc I do fire my MA2 up, making sure there is nothing that would be blown away when the props are under way, but never TO. Seems to be OK and have never had a problem.
Why are my fellow droners saying that they need to put their drones in the air to check for firmware on here? You don't...You simply turn it on and check for firmware, or plug it into your computer and use the DJI assistant software. There is zero need to launch it into the air to check for firmware. This the fourth post I've come across in this thread about people thinking they need to do that. So please, someone correct me if they aren't saying that because it sure sound like that what a few in here think they need to do.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what people mean by "fire my MA2 up, making sure there is nothing that would be blown away..."

That insinuates you have to put it in the air to check for firmware etc,.

Just making sure folks understand that's NOT required or the way to check and install firmware updates.

Last edited:
So, I have a super nuub story where I got lucky I didn't wack my face off. Anyone else have any? (It was funny after, and still is, no harm no foul) About 11 years ago I got my first drone. I was super excited. After work, I charged it up. I could NOT wait to fly it for the first time! I had read a lot, but not enough. I just simply wanted to fly this thing straight away! I was a kid in Christmas morning all over again.

I was in my room, my wife was asleep. I HAD NO IDEA what I was doing. Never flown anything but those cheap 20 dollar drones from Walmart, that you never could get them to fly.

Stupidly, I do admit I did have my actual pilots license with over a 200 hours logged under my belt. But hey , this isn't a real plan we are talking about per say...🤔

Well, needless to say, after my batteries had a bit of charge and I made sure all software was installed I set the drone on the edge of my big dressor about 6 feet away from me. By this time it was late. Lights were out, close to midnight.

I turned my drone on and lift off! It hovered for maybe a couple seconds, I remember how beautiful the lights were, and how dang loud it was! (magnificent, so I thought..for a split second) suddenly it started to drift to the right, I over corrected in the controls and it was over. It went to the extreme left, then up, and forward and straight towards me, rotors painting my wall "black" along the way! It hit the head board of our bed.

Fortunately I did have enough sense to read the users manual while it charged. (the only smart thing I did in the whole process.)

I remembered how to do an emergency shut off. My wife but this time had woken up because it seemed like a **** tornado in the room with papers flying everywhere, the lights, the noise,... Anyways, she reached up and caught it as soon as I shut it off! She has quick reflexes.

Lots of good advice above. It's a great question to ask. To those who say "don't fly indoors" I don't agree with them! There's countless reasons to know how to do so. Videography, emergency searches, you get the idea. :) You should learn how to fly in all conditions that you can.

Just don't learn like I did the first time. Research it a bit and do what you can to mitigate damage if course. (safety first). I'd also suggest learning how the drone flys and feels out doors first...but if you must start out indoors first, just be safe and have fun! I have since learned a alot since. I fly at least 6 times a week for an hour or more.

Happy Droning!

Why are my fellow droners saying that they need to put their drones in the air to check for firmware on here? You don't...You simply turn it on and check for firmware, or plug it into your computer and use the DJI assistant software. There is zero need to launch it into the air to check for firmware. This the fourth post I've come across in this thread about people thinking they need to do that. So please, someone correct me if they aren't saying that because it sure sound like that what a few in here think they need to do.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what people mean by "fire my MA2 up, making sure there is nothing that would be blown away..."

That insinuates you have to put it in the air to check for firmware etc,.

Just making sure folks understand that's NOT required or the way to check and install firmware updates.
For clarity I personally can understand why many believe one should TO so as to test everything it’s just that I never have and I have never had a problem in flight post an update-appreciate I may just be lucky!

For clarity I personally can understand why many believe one should TO so as to test everything it’s just that I never have and I have never had a problem in flight post an update-appreciate I may just be lucky!
Oh do you mean like AFTER the firmware has been installed?

Test flying after any FW update should be done as a matter of principle. But not indoor in a bedroom or a livingroom!!! That is a big NO NO. Some settings change after FW without any warning. Therefore we should thouroughly check every setting before the test flight but we might still miss someting. Dealing with unexpected while flying in a confined space of small room might prove costly, not only in $$ sense!!
Just my 2 cents worth...

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
Test flying after any FW update should be done as a matter of principle. But not indoor in a bedroom or a livingroom!!! That is a big NO NO. Same settings change after FW without any warning. Therefore we should thouroughly check every setting before the test flight but we might still miss someting. Dealing with unexpected while flying in a confined space of small room might prove costly, not only in $$ sense!!
Just my 2 cents worth...
Nobody's talking about flying the drone post firmware update indoors for testing. :)

A lot of cautious advice on the thread here, and I’ll add to it. 😁. I launch inside my home quite often, and you will have no problem whatsoever with the Mavic 3. Now flying around inside? That’s a different story, and I would heed the above advice.

My advice is don't fly it inside. Take it to the front porch. Must get GPS. I use my Mini 2 for indoor flying and use prop guards so if it goes nuts won't hurt itself or anyone else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661