DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying low as I move forward?

The Angry Prepper

Reactions
Is this a common thing, that the drone moves closer to the ground the further forward I go?

Is this a common thing, that the drone moves closer to the ground the further forward I go?

If by "further forward" you mean distance then no.
If you meant accelerating forward quickly then yes there is a slight drop in height that levels off.

Rob

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
Think about it...low flight levels it uses ultrasonic sensors to maintain altitude. You move in any direction, the bird has to tilt...pointing the sensors to the ground at an angle instead of straight down.

The angle makes the ground seem further away than it previously was (hypotenuse of a right triangle), so the flight controller allows the bird to come closer to the ground to maintain that "same flight level" as before. You let off the movement and return to hover, the bird will rise back to its previous altitude.

The Mavic is smart, but its still fairly dumb in that it can't do math to correct for angles with the sensors.

Think about it...low flight levels it uses ultrasonic sensors to maintain altitude. You move in any direction, the bird has to tilt...pointing the sensors to the ground at an angle instead of straight down.

The angle makes the ground seem further away than it previously was (hypotenuse of a right triangle), so the flight controller allows the bird to come closer to the ground to maintain that "same flight level" as before. You let off the movement and return to hover, the bird will rise back to its previous altitude.

The Mavic is smart, but its still fairly dumb in that it can't do math to correct for angles with the sensors.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito