DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic in Nepal

bennohimself

Reactions
Hi all

I am going to Nepal to hike to Everest base camp later this year. I would like to take the Mavic to get some nice drone shots during the hike (purely recreational).

I looked into the Nepalese drone rules, and it seems you need to apply for approval with their aviation authority,

See here: https://www.caanepal.org.np/downloads/combine file SOP.pdf

The application requires the following components:
1) Request Letter.
2) A copy of Operation Specifications of Drone.
3) A copy of Map of Operation Area .
4) Copy that shows latlong box of operation area .
5) No Objection / Recommendation Letter of concerned owner / unit if operation area is over private / public place or property.
6) Letter from the concerned authority for security clearence and or other clearence .

I am fine with completing all of these points aside from 3 & 4 (mostly 4). What software can I use to create a latlong box of operation area? This seems quite serious for some simple Mavic flying?

I could probably plan my flights out in advance, so I could be quite specific about when and where I plan to fly. But I do not know what tools I need to produce these kinds of maps for the authorities.

I am just trying to follow the rules and adhere to the principles they have outlined.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Craig

I hiked to Everest BC years ago. You will love it I recommend going to Gokyo Ri and 6 lakes first then cut over via cho la pass if it is open to EBC. You can get some epic shots from Kalla Pattar of Pumori.. Nuptse.. Everest of course. But I wonder how she will perform at that altitide. Last time I was up there there were 2 heli wrecks from failed rescue attempts. I imagine she might struggle a bit. I have flown the mavic at 11000 feet with no problems but you would be significantly higher. Max Mavic service level is written at 5000m MSL and you will be at 5380m IIRC. Of course thats just base camp tons of other great opportunities along the way at lower altitude of Ama Dablam.. Namche Bazaar etc. Just makes it more difficult when applying for your flight plan above unless you try for a larger area. Have fun on the trek !!

ps. Pack some diamox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiseone
Google maps provides lat/lon figures for anywhere.

I hiked to Everest BC years ago. You will love it I recommend going to Gokyo Ri and 6 lakes first then cut over via cho la pass if it is open to EBC. You can get some epic shots from Kalla Pattar of Pumori.. Nuptse.. Everest of course. But I wonder how she will perform at that altitide. Last time I was up there there were 2 heli wrecks from failed rescue attempts. I imagine she might struggle a bit. I have flown the mavic at 11000 feet with no problems but you would be significantly higher. Max Mavic service level is written at 5000m MSL and you will be at 5380m IIRC. Of course thats just base camp tons of other great opportunities along the way at lower altitude of Ama Dablam.. Namche Bazaar etc. Just makes it more difficult when applying for your flight plan above unless you try for a larger area. Have fun on the trek !!

ps. Pack some diamox.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I am a little concerned about the Mavic's performance at that altitude. I will keep it very close and fly very conservatively (if at all)

I also am going to hike base camp ... fly out on 6nov 17 ... want to take the MP but also concerned about carrying it all the way and not having it crash... altitude ... temperature causing short battery time... how to charge the 5 batterys ect. Still a cheap holiday so could always not take it this time and see how things roll....

I have seen Mavic Pro video from the summit of Gokyo Ri (5357m) so you should be ok at EBC (5380m). I think the same person had footage from the Cho La pass (5420m) but was starting to get warnings about max rotor speed due to the thin air.
Be aware that there is an army base tucked around the back of Namche Bazaar and the authorities can be very harsh if they catch you flying in Namche. I would suggest that any official documentation submitted shows flight plans only after you have left Namche for a day ;-)
Have a great trip, the views are amazing.

Hi all

I am going to Nepal to hike to Everest base camp later this year. I would like to take the Mavic to get some nice drone shots during the hike (purely recreational).

I looked into the Nepalese drone rules, and it seems you need to apply for approval with their aviation authority,

1) Request Letter.
5) No Objection / Recommendation Letter of concerned owner / unit if operation area is over private / public place or property.
6) Letter from the concerned authority for security clearence and or other clearence .

I am fine with completing all of these points aside from 3 & 4 (mostly 4). What software can I use to create a latlong box of operation area? This seems quite serious for some simple Mavic flying?

I could probably plan my flights out in advance, so I could be quite specific about when and where I plan to fly. But I do not know what tools I need to produce these kinds of maps for the authorities.

I am just trying to follow the rules and adhere to the principles they have outlined.

Craig
Google maps or the Lat Long page.

H
Hi all

1) Request Letter.

Craig

Hi Benno,

Just found this thread and I'm wondering how you got on with the drone and EBC trek?

I'm doing the trek myself in April and any info would be awesome!

I'm not overly familiar with the process of applying for permission etc, I'm very green to the whole drone thing.

Hope you get this! I see the tread has not been active for a while.

Thanks in advanced.

I will trek Gokyo lake this fall and bring mavic air. Iam just not sure where is the last village that have AC charging to keep my mavic batteries ready for hot places like Gokyo Ri ...

Thanks!

Hi all, I've just come back from the wonderful trip! These are some video clips I recorded with my Mavic Air during trekking:

Reactions: colinfowler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv