DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying MM2 over 250g

SnrDiggan

Reactions
Hi,

If I put a strobe and landing gear on my MM2 it will take me over the 250g limit.

I currently have a flying id and an operator id, what other qualifications will I need to fly recreationally and what limitations will I be subjected to due the change of weight category?

I don't want to find I am missing out or getting into trouble by getting it wrong either.

Thanks,

Matt

you would still be in the A1transitional category,but you would need to pass the A C of C course as well, to benefit from the reduced distances its weight allows it would be in the up to 500g category for legacy aircraft

Matt, hi there I have an MM2 ( or Mini 2) whichever you prefer and I have attached a strobe which still keeps me under 250grams.Sorry, just noticed you want landing gear as well.Old Man Mavic 100% correct as usual.

Reactions: old man mavic
Why not use a strobe like the little Firehouse ones at 6 grams as Yogi suggested, this would keep you under the 250g. Then learn to hand launch and land to avoid the landing gear. its very easy with the Mini 2 plus it will amaze your friends. This would keep you away from having to be in a different class.

Reactions: Yogi053
Why not use a strobe like the little Firehouse ones at 6 grams as Yogi suggested, this would keep you under the 250g. Then learn to hand launch and land to avoid the landing gear. its very easy with the Mini 2 plus it will amaze your friends. This would keep you away from having to be in a different class.
Yep, that's what I tend to do when strobe is fitted. Sometimes, when I know I will be flying very close I detach my 3gm strobe. (overall weight when fitted 244gms).

Adding equipment that puts you over 250g not only requires drone registration, but I believe under new rules would also make the drone subject to remote ID when it comes into effect.
Avoiding registration and certification is becoming increasingly difficult and will likely get worse.
FAA violations are not to be taken lightly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD