DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying my UAV in Florida

redserv

Reactions
Hello guys I am visiting Frost Museum of Science Planetarium in Miami Florida soon. I am a recreational flyer with TRUST Certificate and my drone is registered with the FAA. I saw a park close to Frost called Museum Park. and wanted to get some drone shots in the area. I saw that it was Class B airspace and got Laanc approval for part of the day. I am just wondering if I am missing anything to legally fly in the area. Would appreciate your feedback.

If you want to fly inside the park ....Check with whatever level of Park Department runs it to see if it is legal to launch, control land in their park

No drones are allowed in the Park unless authorized by Bayfront Park Management Trust.

For Permits and inquiries, please contact our Bayfront Park office: whats my chances of getting a permit or permission?

Man luckily you told me to check the park website... this sucks!!

Reactions: Spartan Drones
Try to find regulations regarding parks in Dade county. For instance, in Broward, you are allowed to fly in any county park provided you follow all regulations local and federal.

Reactions: kidroc and mavictk
Just a small reminder that RID comes into effect at the end of March (please check the exact date at FAA site) so ensure your drone has it activated. I live in the U.K. so I hope I have this right.

No drones are allowed in the Park unless authorized by Bayfront Park Management Trust.

For Permits and inquiries, please contact our Bayfront Park office: whats my chances of getting a permit or permission?

Man luckily you told me to check the park website... this sucks!!
It seems that Bayfront Park Management Trust is part of the City of Miami. If so, then according to Florida Statute 330.41.3(a) (b) it would seem that they cannot prohibit drones from taking off or landing in the park.

Of course, the police can show up and tell you what ever they think is right regardless of what the law says. Who wants to spend the money to challenge law enforcement in court?

Lastly, this is not legal advice because I am not a lawyer and I more closely resemble a normal average American who cannot comprehend our laws.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

It seems that Bayfront Park Management Trust is part of the City of Miami. If so, then according to Florida Statute 330.41.3(a) (b) it would seem that they cannot prohibit drones from taking off or landing in the park.

Of course, the police can show up and tell you what ever they think is right regardless of what the law says. Who wants to spend the money to challenge law enforcement in court?

Lastly, this is not legal advice because I am not a lawyer and I more closely resemble a normal average American who cannot comprehend our laws.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Yup thank you for the advice.

I sent them an email and this is what they said.

"Please be advised no drones can be flown or launched in the park without a permit , Certificate of Insurance, and you meeting all FAA requirements along possible fee after we have reviewed all these mentioned"

I sent them an email and this is what they said.

"Please be advised no drones can be flown or launched in the park without a permit , Certificate of Insurance, and you meeting all FAA requirements along possible fee after we have reviewed all these mentioned"
It's was not worth it for me in the end. The only question I have is what insurance are they speaking about?? I am a recreational flyer?? I know it's just in the event of damage, but I thought this was only for commercial pilots.

Hello guys I am visiting Frost Museum of Science Planetarium in Miami Florida soon. I am a recreational flyer with TRUST Certificate and my drone is registered with the FAA. I saw a park close to Frost called Museum Park. and wanted to get some drone shots in the area. I saw that it was Class B airspace and got Laanc approval for part of the day. I am just wondering if I am missing anything to legally fly in the area. Would appreciate your feedback.
Be sure to check the state and municipal regulations with regard to flying a UAV in parks. You cannot land or takeoff inside a state park, and municipalities may have similar regs. However, you can fly over parks as airspace is exclusively controlled by the FAA.

Reactions: redserv
It's was not worth it for me in the end. The only question I have is what insurance are they speaking about?? I am a recreational flyer?? I know it's just in the event of damage, but I thought this was only for commercial pilots.
Liability insurance in the event your flight causes damage or injury. Not uncommon when requesting a permit.

They're talking about the typical PLPD insurance like for your car. Personal Life and Property Damage. I carry it on my drones even though I'm not paid for the volunteer work I do mapping/surveying local conservation areas. You can buy it by the year or the hour depending on your needs and would definitely be a plus to open access to some areas. I've been able to secure permission to fly in a local Provincial park off season to monitor shoreline erosion so at least that's possible. If you could create a suitable use-case scenario beyond "I just want to fly there", you might be able to get the local administration to green light your flights.
Some people launch and land in open areas outside of US parks and then fly over them. Technically that's not illegal, but I'll bet I'd get grounded if spotted.

Thanks for the information guys. What fees should I be expecting to fly at that location. Any ideas??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas