DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near phone towers

LM0033

Reactions
Hi all
I wish to fly and film with my mavic air over my house that has a mobile phone tower 60m (200ft) behind the house will this cause a problem with my drone if I keep this distance any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

Hi all
I wish to fly and film with my mavic air over my house that has a mobile phone tower 60m (200ft) behind the house will this cause a problem with my drone if I keep this distance any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

There are videos of tower inspection drones flying right by the cellular antennae. Cellular RF is pretty far removed from drone frequency RF.

That said, there can be possible front end overload of your drone's receiver (s) from any very strong signal. The signal strength falls in a logarithmic way by distance, so one could approach the tower slowly whilst watching for aberrant behavior.

Regards,
A retired RF engineer and pilot.

Well I’m pretty sure the towers I flew there are not that powerful.
Small town..and that one was with a MP. Had another I did with a Standard and had a radar Doppler unit I did a POI around and the only
issue I had there was I tryed to low,lost signal behind it so had to back off and get a little higher to stay in LOS. Other than that I had no issues. Thought I would with that but nope. Do watch for cables though.?

This help
There are videos of tower inspection drones flying right by the cellular antennae. Cellular RF is pretty far removed from drone frequency RF.

That said, there can be possible front end overload of your drone's receiver (s) from any very strong signal. The signal strength falls in a logarithmic way by distance, so one could approach the tower slowly whilst watching for aberrant behavior.

Regards,
A retired RF engineer and pilot.

Thanks guys I feel a lot more confident now ?

Thanks guys I feel a lot more confident now ?
Just feel your way as was posted to see how your drone reacts.
And be sure your RTH is higher than the tower just in case you happen to lose signal . I never did but with that big Doppler ball .
Should have known but just got to aggressive. ?

Just FYI, in the U.S.:

Cell sites typically emit about about 10 watts ERP (or less) per channel.
Cell phone transmitters can use many different frequency bands, depending on where you are located:

698-793 MHz (former TV Station analog broadcast frequencies)
824-849 and 869-894 MHz
1710-1755 MHz
1850-1995 MHz
2110-2155 MHz

The following frequencies may also be used, but to a much lesser extent:

2300-2360 MHz
2500-2700 MHz (MMDS or BRS - used for point-to-point networking/cable TV)
5150-5925 MHz (U-NII power limited to 250mW in part of the band, 1W in another)

Most consumer drones operate on the following frequencies:

2400-2483.5 MHz (also known as "Wi-Fi")
5725-5850 MHz (also known as "Wi-Fi")

DJI transmitters emit about 355mW (0.355W) in the U.S.

As MaverickMavicMark said, there may be overload of the front end of the receiver in your drone if you fly too close to a transmitting antenna, even if it isn't on the exact frequency you are using. Best to approach slowly and if anything strange happens, pull the stick back and back out the way you came in.

Just FYI, in the U.S.:

Cell sites typically emit about about 10 watts ERP (or less) per channel.
Cell phone transmitters can use many different frequency bands, depending on where you are located:

698-793 MHz (former TV Station analog broadcast frequencies)
824-849 and 869-894 MHz
1710-1755 MHz
1850-1995 MHz
2110-2155 MHz

The following frequencies may also be used, but to a much lesser extent:

2300-2360 MHz
2500-2700 MHz (MMDS or BRS - used for point-to-point networking/cable TV)
5150-5925 MHz (U-NII power limited to 250mW in part of the band, 1W in another)

Most consumer drones operate on the following frequencies:

2400-2483.5 MHz (also known as "Wi-Fi")
5725-5850 MHz (also known as "Wi-Fi")

DJI transmitters emit about 355mW (0.355W) in the U.S.

As MaverickMavicMark said, there may be overload of the front end of the receiver in your drone if you fly too close to a transmitting antenna, even if it isn't on the exact frequency you are using. Best to approach slowly and if anything strange happens, pull the stick back and back out the way you came in.
Thanks for your reply much appreciated

Well I’m pretty sure the towers I flew there are not that powerful.
Small town..and that one was with a MP. Had another I did with a Standard and had a radar Doppler unit I did a POI around and the only
issue I had there was I tryed to low,lost signal behind it so had to back off and get a little higher to stay in LOS. Other than that I had no issues. Thought I would with that but nope. Do watch for cables though.?
Enough said...
Lol

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada