DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near trees and I bottled it.

Wulfrune

Reactions
Yesterday, whilst out in the park filming my daughter riding my electric scooter, I had the bird in POI mode and it was following along nicely. however, it started to drift towards the trees and it really did look like it was going to collide with them, so I bottled it and emergency stopped it.
I was flying in "Normal" mode having previously followed a YouTube tutorial about the Mavics setup, I felt sure that the collision detection system is set correctly, but on more than one occasion, my bird looked like it was getting way too close for comfort, can anyone offer words of advice please?

Many thanks in advance

Wulfrune m(_ _)m

Reactions: 6 String Fan
So what are we saying? only trust obstacle avoidance when there aren't any obstacles to avoid?

I wondered why I was seeing rotor protectors being sold, it's becoming clear to me now.

What about large obstacles like the ground, a sold wall & stuff like that? Or is it a case of being a better pilot than trust to something that may let you down? To be fair, in the DJI's videos, one gets the impression that it's a near infallible system..... Hmm, I answered my own question there, DJI is hardly likely to say "We have obstacle avoidance, but you can still crash it into things".

Still, if I can some clarification on the limits I can push it to, that would still be a great help, but as for now, I'm off to buy some rotor protectors.

So what are we saying? only trust obstacle avoidance when there aren't any obstacles to avoid?

I never rely on those systems. It's the pilot's responsibility to establish a flight plan in advance and check and doubt check whether collision will occur in the flight plan. Old-school thinking I know but I have seen enough reports about obstacle avoidance systems not working.

If Telsla cannot be trusted, I dont think I will trust DJI in this regard :

Last edited:
Still, if I can some clarification on the limits I can push it to, that would still be a great help, but as for now, I'm off to buy some rotor protectors.
How bout starting out slowly and experiment with obstacle avoidance
to see just how it does react. Doing POI’s always be aware of whats
in the path of your circle.

IMHO Obstacle Avoidance is the last line of defense for the aircraft. It's not the PRIMARY defense and shouldn't be treated as such. Way too many limitations and you won't know you've reached the limitation until it's too late.

It isn’t a case of you bottled it, more you had the brains to keep your eye on it & abort before it was to late.
Obstacle avoidance is a great feature to have but not something to rely on.
It will no doubt avoid disaster on numerous occasions but it isn’t fool proof.
Twigs, power lines, mesh fencing are some of the things it will have trouble with.

Aware of your situation!

When you start something like that, make sure you circle with be well within obstacles, or above them!

Remember, if your drone is out ahead of you and flying to the right or left, you don't really know if you will pass before or behind the tree. Murphy says "neither."

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I never rely on those systems. It's the pilot's responsibility to establish a flight plan in advance and check and doubt check whether collision will occur in the flight plan. Old-school thinking I know but I have seen enough reports about obstacle avoidance systems not working.

I watched the footage of the Tesla incident. Why was there a pedestrian that the Tesla didn't even see? Probably the driver of the overturned truck I'm assuming.
That's one of the main reasons I'll never indulge in an auto pilot of any kind, including my drone...Too fallible...
Thanks for posting this and helping us to be aware of the dangers.

Great thread! Really interesting topic! How much can we lean on the automation.

i Would love to hear good ways to test the limits in the avoidance systems. I think that their is merit in knowing the capabilities and Limits. Automation has its place in the drone toolbox and can do things beyond what is mere mortals can. Smart planning and utilisation should in theory make us even safer and make our flying more enjoyable.

I’m guessing that the system prefers contrast, size & the appropriate speed to sense and react. Any pilot who wants to utilise the automation will benefit greatly from a good sense of those Parameters.

I just wish the consequences weren’t so **** risky if you cross the limits. For how do you know the limit unless you cross them. Such a conundrum. Surely we have some smart cookies that can help us safely test the limits.

I sort of feel each of us have to learn them each in isolation and what we are comfortable with. Personally I’ve used the brake setting and observed how the drone reacts in certain situations. safe to say trees and cables/power/communication lines are the hardest to manage.

Yesterday, whilst out in the park filming my daughter riding my electric scooter, I had the bird in POI mode and it was following along nicely. however, it started to drift towards the trees and it really did look like it was going to collide with them, so I bottled it and emergency stopped it.
I was flying in "Normal" mode having previously followed a YouTube tutorial about the Mavics setup, I felt sure that the collision detection system is set correctly, but on more than one occasion, my bird looked like it was getting way too close for comfort, can anyone offer words of advice please?

Many thanks in advance

Wulfrune m(_ _)m
Remember, not anything is sure but death and taxes. My drone lost a stationary object in plain sight, more than once. I keep my thumb over the RTH button while in tracking mode, you never know when your going to need it (to stop it in its tracks, not return to home).
Good luck!
Not to be nosey but what the hell in on your face?

Reactions: Flynz
@zoidberg err I mean wulfrune,

In a nutshell, no obstacle detection exists at all during sideways flight or gaining altitude. With that, any obstacle detection used should only be trusted to see larger items (trees, walls, etc). Power lines, small tree limbs etc should be assumed to get missed. Knowing this, rock on but always keep a watch on any automation flight. Peace.

Many thanks in advance

Wulfrune m(_ _)m
I believe side obstacle avoidance only works in tripod mode. I know for sure on Mavic 2 Pro, that is the case.

The bottom sensors on the mavic 2 zoom certainly work well I miscalculated the heights on a waypoint mission lost- signal the drone returned but watch the link below

• Wow
Reactions: Flynz
Yeh

Well you would really take your eyes off the road and hands off the controls because Musk told you that you could.

I backed into a tree with a Mavic Pro platinum. Can't balme DJI for that, no back sensors. I would certainly have the finger on the escape key for any outdated flight near obstacles.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661