DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over dams

DEads

Reactions
Just saw someone's video post of them flying over a dam in Colorado and I just Wednesday had an issue while flying over a dam. Ok, I was shooting video and photos in a West Virginia state park (with permission). I then flew over and took shots of the dam.. I was about 200 feet above the dam. About 10 minutes later a guy pulls up with the Army Corps of engineers and tells me I can't fly here, take pictures out anything. He asked for my I'd, which I gave him and my 107. Something about article 36 and 327.4. The guy said it is federal property. He gives a warning but asks me to delete my shoot. Says that I can't post pictures or video of the dam but I can of the lake. I talk to the guy and he is cool but I don't think this is correct is it? I used b4ufly and airmap, the dji app and none gave me a warning. It isn't on the faa list of restricted areas on their list. Anyone familiar with this? Btw I didn't delete my footage lol.

He’s absolutely wrong. Just because it’s federal property doesn’t mean you can’t fly over it. Ridiculous.
I thought the same as long as I don't launch, land or operate from the federal property, but I am seeing stuff about critical infrastructure. However this dam isn't on the FAA restricted airspace. I am conflicted because I have cool footage but was already warned to delete it and not use any of it. N

FAA has this regulation: Security Sensitive Airspace Restrictions
And dams do fall under it.

But not all dams are on the FAA list of flight restrictions, including the one I was at. (Stonewall Jackson Lake and dam in West Virginia).

The guy said that someone posted drone footage of there recently on Facebook and they had him take it down and said he is now on a "National watch list".

Reactions: Thomas B
I thought the same as long as I don't launch, land or operate from the federal property, but I am seeing stuff about critical infrastructure. However this dam isn't on the FAA restricted airspace. I am conflicted because I have cool footage but was already warned to delete it and not use any of it. N

But not all dams are on the FAA list of flight restrictions, including the one I was at. (Stonewall Jackson Lake and dam in West Virginia).

The guy said that someone posted drone footage of there recently on Facebook and they had him take it down and said he is now on a "National watch list".

This is crazy [emoji12]. Carrying a drone . Is like carrying a loaded firearm. What will they think of next.... ???

Contact the UAS division of the FAA and they will give you a definitive answer. I have found them to be very helpful. Most of them are drone pilots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow Horse
This is crazy [emoji12]. Carrying a drone . Is like carrying a loaded firearm. What will they think of next.... ???
Maybe not so crazy. I'd bet malacious foreign entities like Russia, China, Iran, et al have been hacking US infrastructure and mapping potential vulnerabilities for many years. They could use Google Earth for overhead images, but water or ground level images would help identify weaknesses for explosive damage.

I love my freedom, especially 2nd amendment, but respect constrictions to require driving licenses and rules like mask wearing that not only protect me, but protect you and grandmaw and poppaw. Remember Kris Kristofferson's word, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Well, he might be counting the dam as "Critical Infrastructure."

The Corps of Engineers has an aerial picture of that dam on their website: Pittsburgh District > Missions > Recreation > Lakes > Stonewall Jackson Lake

Yea that one I do not know. In the regulation is says Aircraft, and flying under 107 all drones are registered aircraft. I know in Virginia you cannot fly on DWR Department owned lands(WMA). State Parks you can fly in only with written permission on a 107, with a filed flight plan and 1 Million liability policy. It looks like the rules are over ACOE lands, do they own the lake? Might want to make a call to the FAA and do a bit of asking.

lingering over dam's and such are advised against in some situations and you can always find a moron who's going to give you a bad time thinking that your half lb. drone is going to cause devastation..or some other such nonsense. go early while those types are still in bed.

Reactions: Aerophile
I would start by contacting [email protected] and explaining the situation. I would ask if the airspace is actually restricted and if so, please reference the applicable laws so you can review the information with a FAA representative. I would also ask what laws prevent filming the dam and sharing the footage because logically that seems like an overreach by the individual that stopped you.

My guess is there are countless images and videos of the dam online already. What makes your drone footage any more potentially dangerous compared to cell phone pictures and videos posted on social media every day, many times by the very agencies responsible for maintaining the dam or other infrastructure.

From an educational standpoint, I hope you are able to chase down the correct answer and share what you learned with the forum.

Reactions: maelstrom
Probably comes under the "can't take off or land from here" rules.
Sounds like the guy is a Dam idiot to me. However, I don't live in the US so can't really comment. Here in Australia, we have our own petty official Dam idiots in the shape of Park Rangers and City Local law officers who have less authority than they think they do. They are employed on a piece of land so they think they own it the airspace above it, all the way to 1000 feet. Pun intended. In Aus, much of this stuff is done to put people off without actually having any legal basis, including info on Websites.

All a terrorist has to do is look on google earth. I would say if the US Government hasn't had it listed as restricted on Google Eart and maps, then there should be no issue. But, we are talking about governments and city officials here, and most of those are run by idiots who can't get a job elsewhere, Aus included.

Last edited:
Just saw someone's video post of them flying over a dam in Colorado and I just Wednesday had an issue while flying over a dam. Ok, I was shooting video and photos in a West Virginia state park (with permission). I then flew over and took shots of the dam.. I was about 200 feet above the dam. About 10 minutes later a guy pulls up with the Army Corps of engineers and tells me I can't fly here, take pictures out anything. He asked for my I'd, which I gave him and my 107. Something about article 36 and 327.4. The guy said it is federal property. He gives a warning but asks me to delete my shoot. Says that I can't post pictures or video of the dam but I can of the lake. I talk to the guy and he is cool but I don't think this is correct is it? I used b4ufly and airmap, the dji app and none gave me a warning. It isn't on the faa list of restricted areas on their list. Anyone familiar with this? Btw I didn't delete my footage lol.
It looks like Title 36, Section 327.4 (via US Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District Website) explicitly prohibits the operation of aircraft on land.
Rules & Regulations at Corps Projects said:
(b) The operation of aircraft on project lands at locations other than those designated by the District Commander is prohibited. This provision shall not be applicable to aircraft engaged on official business of Federal, state or local governments or law enforcement agencies, aircraft used in emergency rescue in accordance with the directions of the District Commander or aircraft forced to land due to circumstances beyond the control of the operator.
Basically, you can't take off from the park. On the other hand, there is nothing in that document that even mentions photography.

I was curious about this, too. I first spotted "No Drone Zone" signs on USACE property down by the Kentucky Dam near Paducah, Kentucky. My interest was more in the associated bridges than the dam itself. I found two conflicting things:
  • There is no airspace restrictions over the Kentucky Dam by the FAA;
  • The USACE has a list of restrictions for our local district: Drone Policy, highlighted below:
    • In a careless, negligent, or reckless manner so as to endanger, threaten, harass, or jeopardize any person, property, wildlife, environmental feature; or interfere with the use or operation of the project. Examples of such prohibited behavior include capturing images of unsuspecting/unwilling persons or attaching firearms or other weapons to the UAS.
    • Within 500 feet of operational areas. Operational areas are defined as project operational structures and their associated restricted areas. For example, dams, hydropower plants, administrative and maintenance buildings, visitor centers and associated support facilities.
    • The guidance has designated approved locations to fly drones for hobbyists, while at the same time prohibiting drones where people are camping and recreating such as designated swim beaches. The policy also prohibits UAS flights near critical infrastructure such as locks and dams.
I launched/landed along a state highway right-of-way (away from the road, on a pull-off) and at no time was I over 400'. The bridges, which are 1,400' away from the dam, seems to satisfy point 2 above.

I guess my question is - who has jurisdiction? My take on it was that because I did not start on USACE property they could not dictate where I launched/landed, and as long as I was not within 500' of the dam structure, I would be fine. I am not sure if you could or want to fly any closer to 500' without risking the ire of the USACE; the FAA still states that there may be other applicable regulations you should be aware of.

I wish that this would be a little easier with well-defined no fly zones.

Maybe not so crazy. I'd bet malacious foreign entities like Russia, China, Iran, et al have been hacking US infrastructure and mapping potential vulnerabilities for many years. They could use Google Earth for overhead images, but water or ground level images would help identify weaknesses for explosive damage.

I love my freedom, especially 2nd amendment, but respect constrictions to require driving licenses and rules like mask wearing that not only protect me, but protect you and grandmaw and poppaw. Remember Kris Kristofferson's word, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Russia and China have satellite imagery capabilities that far exceed Google Earth images. If they're plotting to destroy a dam and want ground-level or low-altitude images, they'll just send someone out with an SLR. Much simpler than laboriously scanning youtube videos for drone videos that include that particular location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada