DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over moving vehicles and close to commercial buildings in Canada?

Keisersozze

Reactions
I got my Basic Operations drone license this week and still not sure on this. Can I fly over a road with moving vehicles within the city, such as Edmonton or Calgary?

Also, how close can I fly to a commercial building such as an office building or apartment high-rise if there are no people below (within 30m horizontally)?

Is there source material for this somewhere? Thanks.

Edit: Seems no one knows the answer to this question. :(

Last edited:
Howdy
As far as the road question, I don’t think it’s an issue as long as you are not in any airspace apart from “G” .
The buildings , I’m really not sure I don’t remember TC mentioning anything about distances from buildings .

I’m fairly new to flying , and the rules and regulations so don’t quote me on this .

I would have thought someone here would have been able to help.
You could try reposting your questions on the General forum , I think more people read on there .
Where are you located in Alberta ??.

Reactions: Keisersozze
Wow, someone answered. Thanks. Maybe I'll try the General Forum. I just passed the Advanced Drone Exam (written portion) and it's still not clear as there was no mention about roads, so like you said I assume it's allowed.

I live in Calgary, not that this matters really as that's not the only place I am interesting in flying in and all cities have the same regulations.

Last edited:
Hey maybe you could help me out .
I’m interested in taking the advanced drone exam .
Some folks say it’s super hard and often takes multiple tries to pass , and others have said it’s not a lot different to the basic but more questions and less time .
How did you find the exam ?.
Did you use one of the apps to study for it ?.

Hey maybe you could help me out .
I’m interested in taking the advanced drone exam .
Some folks say it’s super hard and often takes multiple tries to pass , and others have said it’s not a lot different to the basic but more questions and less time .
How did you find the exam ?.
Did you use one of the apps to study for it ?.

I definitely found it harder then the basic. There are more questions and less time, I had no time to check my answers. What I found helpful was watching Don Joyce study guide for basic and advance exam on youtube a few times. I also got his PDF. I didn't use apps.

There were also questions that had no relation to drone flying at all. The way the government has organized these drone pilot exams and licenses is a (mod removed) mess that makes no sense. Reminds me of communist Poland in the 1980s where I lived. There should be one study source, even if it means it's 1000 pages, or maybe they are in cahoots with the drone schools that want you to take their courses.

During the exam I would skip over any questions I couldn't find the answer to in one minute or so then went back to those I didn't answer. I used google a lot. I went in thinking this would be a practice test as it's only $10, so if you fail the first time it's not big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lionfish
This is an extract from Transport Canada that will give you your answer.
Maximum Altitude
  • 901.25 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than
    • (a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
    • (b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure.

meanwhile, you should check on the transport Canada the interactive map showing the no fly zones over Calgary and Edmonton because there’s not much places you can fly there.

Never forget the fact that Wind I a major factor to think about in cities. Specially between buildings and more important, over them.

Reactions: Keisersozze
This is an extract from Transport Canada that will give you your answer.
Maximum Altitude
  • 901.25(1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than
    • (a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
    • (b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure.

meanwhile, you should check on the transport Canada the interactive map showing the no fly zones over Calgary and Edmonton because there’s not much places you can fly there.
Thanks. Think I remember seeing this in regards to the buildings. Doesn't quite make sense, it means I can only be 30meters above a buildings? That would require me to be going up and down constantly and also know exact height of all buildings I'm flying over.
I have AirMap, it tells me all the heliports and airports.
I agree wind is a big factor. For some reason none of the apps like AirMap have current wind speed. That said the drone gives a warning if the wind is too high but I found its a bit over reactive with the warnings at times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive