DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water?

A whole lot of tips and suggestions here, but remember this… recovery from a descent into water is highly unlikely, whereas a crash on land has a greater chance of retrieval. I’ve learned that the way I fly, crashes are always a possibility, but if I recover it, I can send off for repair.
PhantomRain resists the overt promotion for his wetsuits and rescue jackets, so I’ll oblige and say you should use the rescue jacket when flying over water. I recovered my MA2 after 10 minutes in a river, lucky it survived the swim. I won’t tempt fate again. I fly over water often and know there are many factors that can end up with your drone at the bottom of a lake or ocean… unrecoverable.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
View attachment 133967
I did 30 minutes of low-level flight with the Air 2S last Sunday at altitudes of 2 to five feet. I had several observers stationed to watch for any unusual flight behavior. No problems.

View attachment 133968

Some of the best field testing I've seen. You should have bomb bay doors on that Mavic to drop some tasty treats for your focus group. Some participants have been known to get jumpy when they're hungry.

I typically fly about 3-4 feet above the water (freshwater only) and when the lake is fairly calm for chasing boats.

I have a Mavic Air 1 - does the PhantomRain life jacket for the Mavic Air2 fit it? and do I also need to have a waterproof jacket for the battery? I am planning on a sailing trip and wish to fly my Mavic Air around the yacht on the open seas - hence the questions, so grateful for any advice and recommendations.
I have asked about the Air 1 several times and there are no prodcuts made by Coal that works with the Air 1 . Its a great reason to update to and Air 2 type . :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929