DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water.

Max Headroom

Reactions
I took my drone out to have a go at some "quick shot" circles of the boat below the tide was in and it was a rough sea due to wind, i set the quick shot up and as the drone completed the first half circle a gust of wind hit it and the next thing i knew it was heading slowly for the water i immediately cancelled the quick shot and got it back safely, i tried a second time a little higher and the same thing happened, i have read that water can confuse things do you think that is likely to be what happened to mine?

I am not 100% that it was the wind that caused it it may just have lost the position it was supposed to stay in.

1728322469351.png

I have read where others have had this issue

Reactions: Max Headroom
"Water confused the sensors." is frequently cited as the cause of odd behavior, but it seems that things are exaggerated or just off base. T/here are substantiated cases where the VPS system of a drone close to the surface of moving water will cause the drone to follow the water or material on the surface. I'm not remembering the name of the forum member @Zbip57 demonstrated this effect by moving a rug beneath a hovering drone. See post #49.

You might want to post your flight logs so that one of the log analysis wizards could have a look.

(I live on the Gulf coast and frequently fly over water and have never experienced any problems.)

Last edited:
I love on the Gulf coast and frequently fly over water and have never experienced any problems.

I will try it over dry land and see if it can complete a circle, having watched the video i now suspect it was the the waves that caused the problem.

Thanks for the video link i have started it at the last test -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On a Bright sunny Day especially in the morning or when the sun is setting it can sometimes reflect off the water and confuse the sensors it can actually happen without water. BUT It is pretty rare even over water. I have flown over lakes and never had a problem. I would suspect your Drone is getting mussed about in the wind lol. but it can happen.

PS not sure whos video that is BUT they need to get that reflective tape OFF of that Drone !!!!

as the drone completed the first half circle a gust of wind hit it and the next thing i knew it was heading slowly for the water
Your best bet of finding out the reasons for the descent is to post the flight log

What drone are you flying, what controller are you using and if relevant what phone are you using ?

I have no idea about these automated flight plans but the only reason I can think of for wind causing a drone to descend is that the programming, at that particular time, prioritised either holding position or maintaining the flight path, over maintaining the drone's height.
I have a vague recollection of such a thread where this was thought to be the case when. The flight was I think somewhere over the Med and the drone was heading home into a strong headwind.

At height, over water, the drone's behaviour should be no different to its behaviour overland.
By anecdote height control over water only becomes of concern once the drone is low. I have had one instance of this and I probably have over a thousand flights over water at heights ranging from a few feet to possibly 300ft. This incident occurred at the end of a speed run and the water was probably quite shallow.

Roughly speaking the VPS thing of @Zbip57 's video relates to situations where the VPS systen achieves a good lock on something on the ground or the surface of the water.
Where the VPS system does have such a "good lock" the drone's position holding system prioritises the data from the VPS system over the data from the GPS system.
Consequently if the something moves the drone follows it so as to 'hold position'.
I doubt this is applicable to your situation.

Over stationary ground the VPS system provides MUCH better position holding than does GPS. This is fairly easy to demonstrate.
In daylight, outdoors, on a relatively windless day and somewhere where you have good GPS with NO objects nearby, fly two flights.
In the first flight bring the drone down to, say, slightly above head height then let the drone hover for a minute or so. Take note of how much it moves around horizontally.
Land the drone, switch it off and mask the VPS sensors with a couple of layers of Gaffa/tank tape. Repeat the test, though you may not want to leave it hover for a minute or so.

In which flight does the drone move about more ?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KurtisM918