DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mini in Mexico on resort beaches

Rex Peters

Reactions
Does anyone know what the legalities of flying drones when vacationing in Mexican beach resorts?

Thank you for your feedback. I will contact the resort to see if they have any specific policies for drone flying.

This link is a little bit more current:

Reactions: Thomas B
I was in Puerto Vallarta in February. At the Hard Rock hotel, i asked for permission to fly my drone. After being handed off to several different hotel staff, finally someone said it would be okay as long as i didn't fly over the hotel property. The next morning i went to the beach and got some video and stills of the beach; and there was someone from the hotel behind me watching. Later we checked into Casa Velas hotel and when i asked about flying my drone they told me that we were within five miles of the airport (which was true) and i could not fly my drone. We also took a boat tour to the hidden beach and before leaving shore i asked the captain of the boat about flying my drone. He said he would ask the Mexican Coast Guard. He came back and said that they said that the answer wasn't "no" it was "hell no" and they threatened to confiscate my drone. The captain told them that he would make sure i didn't fly my drone.

Unfortunately if you are not a Mexican citizen you are not allowed to register your drone, you are required to provide a Mexican ID and the invoice to start the registration, the process takes around 15 days, after that you'll get the registration including the drone's serial number, you could be fined with ~20K USD, it depends on several situations.

Reactions: Thomas B
You will be fine as long as you stay out of the 5mi perimeter of any airport, below 120 meters, do not fly over crowds, do not fly over archeological sites, if you will be in private property (like an hotel) ask for permission. preferably to fly (take-off and land) in public areas. For flying out of a boat nothing can prevent you from doing that as long as you follow the 120 meters altitude and crowds limitation. And as in any other part of the world, the mini does not require registration.

I've never had a problem but there is a right time to fly and then other time's when it would probably be better to leave the drone in the case

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1